TOMBSTONES & CEMETERIES

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Tombstones or Cemeteries

A midsummer day for tombstones? Why not?

Tombstone, the town

As it happens, we have a really interesting local (old) cemetery in which we take many pictures. It’s beautiful in autumn, especially with many mature maple trees that turn gold or red in October.

We enjoy the cemetery. It’s a quiet, peaceful place. Carved stones and autumn trees. A place that waits forever. Nothing says restful better than a cemetery.

13 thoughts on “TOMBSTONES & CEMETERIES

1. angloswiss August 9, 2017 / 1:01 am

Good photo of Tombstne, always loved the name of that place and I am sure Boothill was not far away. You have an interesting collection on your cemetery.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 9, 2017 / 1:28 am

We have a really great old cemetery in the middle of town. It’s right across from the waterfall. We’ve spent a lot of time shooting there.

Tombstone has been rebuilt to look exactly like the old Tombstone. We had a great time there. It would have been greater except it was August and the temperature was 42 Celsius. In other words, REALLY hot.

2. Dana Bicks LLC, Author August 9, 2017 / 8:42 am

My fiancé is a genealogist and she will love this article! She used to live in Fredericksburg, VA where there is steeped history. Thank you!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 9, 2017 / 11:40 am

I think all of Virginia and a good deal of Pennsylvania are very steeped in history — as is Massachusetts. We are the three states that have held on to it, too. We spent a week in Gettysburg, too. When you like old graveyards, how can you miss Virginia?

• Marilyn Armstrong August 9, 2017 / 4:46 pm

And, as it happens, it is a beautiful state with very varied areas from Shenandoah to the shore. I have family down there, or did. Now, they are up in Maryland, but I spent many summers in Virginia.

• Dana Bicks LLC, Author August 9, 2017 / 5:28 pm

We grew up in MD. From where are you? My fiancé is from Pasadena and I am from Severna Park.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 9, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I’m from New York, via a decade in Israel, now living in south central Massachusetts. My husband is also from New York, but has lived most of his life in Boston or out here in the Massachusetts exurbs. My mother’s youngest sister married a guy who worked in Virginia, so they moved down there and eventually, most of the remaining family moved down there too. Whatever family I have still living seem to have settled in and around Baltimore, with a few stragglers up north. Our older generation is gone and when I look around, I realize we ARE the older generation.

3. Cee Neuner August 9, 2017 / 11:49 am

Hi Marilyn, great gallery for this week. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong August 9, 2017 / 4:47 pm

Thanks Cee. You hit one of our “hot buttons.” We’ve done a lot of shooting in the local old cemetery.

4. swo8 August 9, 2017 / 12:05 pm

It looks like a wonderful place for walk in the autumn.