DRIFTING THROUGH SPACE …

Storytime – Dropped from a drifting craft

Considering one thing and another, I have always been sure I could not possibly be related to Those People who raised me. And who, in theory, birthed me.

Sadly, there was always one problem from which I could never escape.

I look just like them. Both parents. They didn’t look alike, so how could this be? Apparently, you change as you age. So you can look exactly like dad when you’re three, but exactly like mom when you’re sixty. Periodically, depending on how the genetic package rolls, like one or the other — or both  — at any given point in time. I used to look like my father, but I got older. Now, look like my mother.

Photo: Garry Armstrong

I wonder if I’ll ever look like me? Whatever that means.

I know nothing about what brought me into the world any more than I know what will take me out. Probably, that’s just as well. I think I lack a kind of curiosity about my fate others apparently have. I never felt any serious need to research my ancestry or get my DNA checked. What was, is finished. What will be, is not in my hands. I am okay enjoying as much of the now as I can while it’s still available.

And yet.

Every now and again, I wonder if it is possible that I was actually put here by a passing star craft. An intergalactic seed dropped from the sky that somehow, wound up in this world. With those parents. In this peculiar place. A bit of pollen falling from a drifting craft on its way to somewhere in an infinite beyond.

It could be true.

A Writing Prompt: Storytime — A Hot and Steamy Night –  by Fandango

A new prompt. Just what you needed, right? I’m calling this prompt “Storytime.” Each week I will ask you to tell a story about a specific topic. You can write about the actual event as it happened in real life — or you can create a fictional version of the event. It’s your call.

Once you publish your post, create a pingback to this post, or paste a link to your post in a reply if you’re not on WordPress. To get the ball rolling, I’ll go first. Have fun!

16 thoughts on “DRIFTING THROUGH SPACE …

1. Fandango August 12, 2017 / 12:40 am

Sounds a bit like the story of the origin of Superman, but where his parents came with him instead of being found and raised by Mr. and Mrs. Kent.

Thanks for participating, Marilyn.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2017 / 12:51 am

It sounded like a good idea. There are so many photo prompts available, but few writing prompts. Before I took pictures, I was a writer, so it’s a pleasure to have someone willing to do it. I tried and wore out in 6 months. 😀

• Fandango August 12, 2017 / 1:47 am

Well, I’ll try to keep this writing prompt going for as long as people are willing to take shot. Thanks for taking yours.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2017 / 12:14 pm

You are more than welcome. I’m going to add something about the prompt. I should have done it yesterday, but I’m kind of sick and not functioning on all my cylinders. I do it now, a final act before I slump into the sofa and go into a semi-coma.

• Fandango August 12, 2017 / 12:29 pm

Sorry you’re not feeling well. Feel better.

• swo8 August 12, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Antibiotics always make me feel worse. They sap the strength. Right now I have a sore back from trying to take out a window.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2017 / 3:14 pm

They make me queasy and exhausted. But I don’t think I have a choice. Kidney infections can get lethal if you don’t take care of them. I gave this about three weeks to take care of itself and it didn’t … so …

• swo8 August 12, 2017 / 6:47 pm

That’s no fun, Marilyn. I’ve had my bought of that too.

• swo8 August 12, 2017 / 8:02 pm

That alone will make you feel ill…..

2. lifelessons August 12, 2017 / 12:48 am

I have felt the same way and in fact was born the day before the Roswell crash..Perhaps they dropped me off enroute.

3. angloswiss August 12, 2017 / 1:10 am

I never thought about it in that way, it’s the super powers that count. When mum found me in front of the street door in a basket with a small crown tied to it, my origins were quite obvious

• Marilyn Armstrong August 12, 2017 / 1:15 am

It must be our generation. Did our parents feel this disconnected from parents? I often really DO feel like I dropped in from another galaxy. Actually, if it’s true, maybe they’ll come back to get me?