LURCH

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!

Garry was wrong. It was NOT Fred Guinn. It was Ted Cassidy who played Lurch.

By Pleasure Island – Uploaded by We Hope at en.wikipedia – eBay itemphoto front photo back – Transferred from en.wikipedia by SreeBot, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/

This is Lurch. He was the butler for the Addams family. Maybe if you ask nice, he will be YOUR butler, too. Do you have high ceilings?

33 thoughts on “LURCH

• Covert Novelist August 21, 2017 / 1:56 pm

lol, too true on that. I didn’t watch much either, wasn’t particularly interested, but I saw him and he just stuck. That’s quite funny to me tbh.

• Garry Armstrong August 22, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Yes, I was WRONG. The world will never be the same again.

1. Willow August 21, 2017 / 1:04 pm

But will he bring his own harpsichord or do I need to purchase one?

2. jcalberta August 21, 2017 / 1:16 pm

What a cast they had on that show. It really was inspired. Sitcoms these days seem to pale by standards of yesteryear.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 3:24 pm

They had very good actors on it. Much better than most serial TV shows.

3. angloswiss August 21, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I was more into the Munsters as the Adams family. I don’t think the BBC had the Addams family on the TV. No. 1 Son is 1 meter 84 (over 6 feet) so I suppose we do have high celings.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 3:23 pm

The Addams family was based on a series of cartoons originally written for The New Yorker, a rather sophisticated magazine. The show wasn’t remotely sophisticated, but it was funny and had some surprisingly good actors in it. It was on for maybe five, six years? I didn’t watch it all the time, but I caught it now and then. It isn’t on reruns anywhere that I know of, but maybe it’ll pop up somewhere.

4. swo8 August 21, 2017 / 3:15 pm

What a name for a character and what a character.

5. transmutation.me August 21, 2017 / 4:55 pm

In the White House there are regularly free jobs … Chief Strategist? Communication Officer? … High ceilings guaranteed

6. tomcurley1 August 21, 2017 / 6:40 pm

For trivia buffs. Lurch was the actor who played the alien in the Twilight Zone episode “to serve man”
    It’s a cookbook!

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 7:34 pm

I remember. He ALSO played the judge in “My Cousin Vinnie.” From Garry, who as you know, knows EVERYTHING about the movies 🙂

7. Emilio Pasquale August 21, 2017 / 7:07 pm

This brings back memories. I wonder who the actor was and if he ever had other acting roles.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 7:33 pm

Fred Guinn. He also played the judge in the movie “My Cousin Vinnie.”

• Emilio Pasquale August 21, 2017 / 7:41 pm

Isn’t Fred Guinn the guy who played the Frankenstein character in the comedy series I can’t remember the name of? And the cop in Car 54, Where Are You?

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Garry was wrong (Wow, Garry was WRONG!!!!) — Theodore Crawford “Ted” Cassidy (July 31, 1932 – January 16, 1979) was an American actor of radio, television and film and voice artist. Noted for his tall stature at 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m), and his deep bass voice. He tended to play unusual characters in offbeat or science-fiction series such as Star Trek and I Dream of Jeannie, and is best known for the role of Lurch on The Addams Family in the mid-1960s. He is also known for voicing The Hulk.

• Emilio Pasquale August 22, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Yes! Now I remember him. And as for Garry being wrong, he only gets two more strikes.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 22, 2017 / 2:35 pm

He is embarrassed. He is NEVER wrong about movies or baseball. Except when he is.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 21, 2017 / 7:31 pm

I heard Lurch and I thought “Yes, Lurch!” I wasn’t planning to do any more writing, but it was just a picture and a couple of sentences … so … 😀

8. lwbut August 22, 2017 / 12:12 am

In the interests of strict accuracy – it’s Fred Gwynne, not Guinn who played Herman Munster!

…but Ted was one of a kind – Muuuhhhuuhhuuuhhhuuhhhh. 😉

I loved the Addams family TV show much more than the movies and ‘Tish was always my favourite. (Followed by the Original Fester)

You must put out a bowl of rose stems with thorns (minus heads) for your guest! 🙂

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 22, 2017 / 12:33 am

I actually know that, but didn’t feel like making another correction.

9. Taswegian1957 August 22, 2017 / 8:33 am

I loved the Addams Family as a kid. I especially enjoyed Lurch and his harpsichord, Thing, who wouldn’t want a thing to give you a helping hand and of course we kids liked Cousin Itt. It wasn’t that sophisticated but probably more so than The Munsters.

• Marilyn Armstrong August 22, 2017 / 2:34 pm

But they were funny and different from other shows. My favorite part is that is was DIFFERENT at a time when everything was exactly the same.

10. evilsquirrel13 August 22, 2017 / 1:57 pm

One of the cool facts from TV history is that the runs of The Addams Family and The Munsters were almost 100% concurrent…. both debuting and getting canceled at the same time. That would make it unlikely that Herman Munster was also moonlighting as Lurch, but both actors were big, hulking men who played monsters on 60’s black and white TV, so it’s easy to get them confused…

On a related note, I wonder how half of the Car 54 cast wound up in the Munster household….