ANTIQUE AIRPLANES IN THE HANGAR – TUSKEGEE AIRMEN EVENT

I’ve got a few more pictures from the hangar at the New England Tuskegee Airmen Scholarship event last weekend.

The hangar from the middle of the stairway

I took some of my favorite pictures from the stairway or the upper level. It put some of the aircraft directly in front of me and let me look down on others.

I could have spent a week shooting just the airplanes and other stuff in that hangar and never run out of material. There was another hangar full of antique cars, too. We never got there. I hope we are able to go back at least once.

9 thoughts on “ANTIQUE AIRPLANES IN THE HANGAR – TUSKEGEE AIRMEN EVENT

1. slmret September 11, 2017 / 12:17 am

Last time I was in Hawaii, we visited an air museum on Ford Island — it was only slightly larger than this hangar, and had some fascinating old WWII-vintage airplanes. I can imagine that this one would have been equally exciting, and that I might have also spent hours inside with the camera!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 11, 2017 / 12:24 am

There was so much stuff in this hangar, It would have taken me days. Mostly it belongs to the Tuskegee Airmen, but also it includes tanks, stagecoaches, and old ambulances … even the ladies room had antique hats with feathers … and another hangar with antique cars. And lots of signs and information to read. It was really interesting.

• slmret September 11, 2017 / 12:32 am

You would enjoy the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC. A colleague and I were there over a weekend, and went through the museum to get to the tram that goes around the monuments — it took us hours to get through the museum because it was so interesting. I think that, except for the Wright Brothers, everything in the museum was built in my lifetime (about the same as yours, I think). I couldn’t tear myself away!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 11, 2017 / 1:28 am

I was there a long time ago. Maybe 40 years ago? I remember finding it fascinating, but I can’t imagine how much more stuff they must have added since then! And the Hayden Planetarium was also great. Wow, that was a LONG time ago!

• slmret September 11, 2017 / 1:38 am

There’s a second museum, out near Dulles airport, where they keep the newer, larger planes, and apparently where they restore others of the older planes. San Diego has a couple of Air & Space museums and a foucault pendulum, which I find just as fascinating. And the Griffith Park Planetarium is an icon, near the Hollywood sign — an amazing place!

• Garry Armstrong September 11, 2017 / 10:25 am

One of your shots reminds me of the Dana Andrews/ Airplane graveyard scene in “The Best Years of our Lives”. It’s a wonderful shot and I’m so happy you took it.

2. swo8 September 11, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Just look at those beauties! You would really feel like you were flying in one of those.

3. lwbut September 12, 2017 / 12:33 am

Great Pics Marilyn, thanks! 🙂

I love ‘little Marilyn’ in the shiny prop hub!

I could spend hours if not days wandering around that place!

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 12:38 am

It was great. If I’d had a little more energy, I could have spent many more hours there. AND I have a LOT more pictures.