THE DISOBEDIENT DOG

Duke is a disobedient dog. He is sweet, funny, and smarter than a lot of people I know, but he doesn’t like taking orders. Or coming when called. Or stopping if told to “cut it out.”

He’s working on it, though.

He can’t figure out how come I know he’s trying to knock down the dining room gate even though I can’t see him. He hasn’t yet realized I can hear him, even from another room.

He is learning. Not as fast as I would like, but not bad, either. He connects the “time out” with the event that caused it … and not every dog does. We’ll work it out.

45 thoughts on “THE DISOBEDIENT DOG

1. judyt54 September 12, 2017 / 2:35 pm

awww.
    probably no one ever really paid much attention to him, except to shout, KNOCK IT OFF, or not even that. You live in a truck, you don’t get much in the way of rules about things.

love those pictures.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 4:46 pm

He was housebroken and that was IT. He didn’t know anything else. He is getting better though. Especially the last few days. Sometimes, I forget he had a home before this one. Two of them. And in neither did they teach him anything.

• Garry Armstrong September 13, 2017 / 12:31 pm

He does seem to be coming along. To his credit, Duke has brightened the lives of Bonnie and Gibbs. Given them new energy. Sometimes it’s like watching a simultaneous double feature. The show on TV and the furry kids live action feature.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 13, 2017 / 12:47 pm

With heightened sound. The growling and snarling and yapping. It sounds like murder is occurring and not just two dogs wrestling a toy!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 4:42 pm

That’s his “See? I’m so good!” look. He is getting there, though. At least he notices when I say “no” these days. For a long time, he acted like he was suddenly totally deaf. He probably picked that up from my husband.

• Garry Armstrong September 13, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Mrs Swiss, late at night when Duke is tuckered out and napping between Marilyn and me on the sofa — it’s a “Walt Disney” moment.

2. Willow September 12, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Sometimes the smart dogs are the hardest to untrain and retrain, but he’ll get it in the end.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 4:40 pm

He IS getting it, but he’s always looking for a way to outwit us. He knows he’s faster than we are, but he also knows where the goodies come from, so it’s a lot of carefully paced time outs, with rewards for doing well. It’s working, but he’s one of those dogs that tests you. Constantly.

3. swo8 September 12, 2017 / 4:13 pm

There’s s sly look to him, Marilyn. You’ll win in the long run, after all you hold the treats.

4. Sarah Angleton September 12, 2017 / 4:15 pm

How could you put that sweet face in time out? Good luck!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 4:38 pm

You’d be surprised. He’s a good dog and a fun play pal, but he is super energetic and young. And he’s a big-time jumper. And he knocks down anything in his way. The rest of the time, he’s adorable πŸ™‚

5. loisajay September 12, 2017 / 7:13 pm

what a cutie. Those eyes would melt me every time.

6. Martha Kennedy September 12, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Sounds like he’s a smart dog who never had a smart master. πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 8:42 pm

I think he didn’t really have a stable relationship. Two homes, zero training. He’s a pretty intense little guy. He has to learn at least basic manners. I’m too old to chase my dogs!

• Martha Kennedy September 12, 2017 / 9:39 pm

Do you think maybe there’s some King Charles Spaniel in Duke? He’s so cute. He might be thinking he has to get Bonnie and Gibbs out of the way to be sure he has a home.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 9:50 pm

A couple of people have suggested that. Sure, it’s possible. There’s some kind of Asian dog in him. His face looks King Charles but he also looks like a Papillon. I don’t think anyone knows. He is trying to get the other dogs out of the way except that when he isn’t doing that, he’s playing with them.

I’m sure he has a lot of insecurity issues, but I can’t let him bully the other dogs. They are gentle and won’t fight back. Especially not Gibbs who just looks forlorn. It must be hard for him having been passed along so many times. I’m not passing him along, though there are days.

So however difficult it is, he has to learn. And I have to teach. At least Garry kind of understands where we are trying to go with Duke and he helps. It is easier to not have to do this alone.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2017 / 9:26 pm

He is very cute. I wanted him because he is young and energetic. And he has really energized two dogs who did nothing but sleep. I didn’t realize he was also going to energize US πŸ™‚

• Bridgesburning Chris September 14, 2017 / 11:36 am

See Marilyn the part that would put this old girl off is that he is young and energetic lol

• Marilyn Armstrong September 14, 2017 / 12:28 pm

It IS tiring. No one is more tired than me, but he is beginning to calm down. I hope he makes it to calm before I fade away!

• omniclassic September 13, 2017 / 4:42 pm

I’ll agree with him being pretty smart, after all, he did pick me to be his buddy while I visited.., and I did like his company, no matter how frenetic.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 13, 2017 / 5:54 pm

Our vet thinks he is adorable. He is adorable. But he absolutely is not any kind of Australian Shepherd. What he is is the big unanswered question. Sooner of later, I’ll have to do the DNA thing. Curiosity is getting overwhelming.

• omniclassic September 14, 2017 / 5:14 pm

And how is he such a good jumper with his relatively short legs. Biologically we are missing something here. Go for the DNA

• Marilyn Armstrong September 14, 2017 / 5:46 pm

It’s $80. It will have to wait! But I am curious, so eventually. When I can.

7. lwbut September 13, 2017 / 12:32 am

He’ll try to please you (especially if you give him cookies!) but if he thinks he can’t please you he’ll please himself – and that’s where the trouble starts πŸ™‚

He does look kinda cute though – sneaky! – but cute.

love

• Marilyn Armstrong September 13, 2017 / 12:46 am

He is very cute and he is also very smart. It’s a wicked combination in young dogs. But they can also turn out to be FANTASTIC dogs. A lot of it is up to me.

8. evilsquirrel13 September 14, 2017 / 12:52 am

Duke! Use the puppy dog eyes, man! You can get away with anything then…. all you gotta do is flash that “I’m so very sorry. Won’t you take pity on this poor little doggie?” look! Now I guess I get a time out too for aiding and abetting….

• Marilyn Armstrong September 14, 2017 / 12:30 pm

He does have killer eyes. And he uses them. He is a blatant suck up. He just rolls those beauties at me and Garry and I says “AWWWW.” What a GOOD DOG you are! Wicked dog, just wicked!