A LEAF ON THE FIRST FULL DAY OF AUTUMN

A LEAF – NOT AUTUMN YET

Not a great day for the leaf, I’m afraid. It’s cool outside, but it’s also extremely humid and the wind — ex-Jose of the hurricanes — has returned. Again. This is the first year we are suffering from hurricane remnants that just won’t go away. Usually they come, they blow, they rain, they leave. This one is just bouncing around the north Atlantic, washing out Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket, as well as Cape Cod.

Locally, we’ve got drizzle, some slightly heavier rain, and humidity that makes breathing a real effort. I do not like this weather one little bit and it is messing up autumn.

33 thoughts on “A LEAF ON THE FIRST FULL DAY OF AUTUMN

1. swo8 September 22, 2017 / 1:59 pm

just one lonely leaf—-but more to come.

• Garry Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:08 pm

“Lonely Teardrops” —- Lloyd Price …. on the first day of autumn. Didn’t realize summer had gone.

Golly!!

I’ve layed around and played around..this whole summer long….winter’s comin’ on….and I feel like..I gotta travel on….

2. slmret September 22, 2017 / 2:15 pm

The hurricanes are nasty this year — I thought Jose had died! I hope they don’t ruin fall completely for you!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:55 pm

Jose has died as a hurricane, but what’s left of him is floating around the north Atlantic making people’s late summer vacations into a rain dump. He’s been hanging around for a week and it is messing up autumn! I want him to ramble on out to sea!

• slmret September 22, 2017 / 3:24 pm

I hope he does ramble out to sea — soon — and takes Maria with him!

3. clutterfreelifestyle solutions September 22, 2017 / 4:21 pm

I can’t believe that today is the start of autumn. When you get a chance, feel free to read my latest post “How to Minimize your Summer Wardrobe by 25% Before Storing it Away”

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 4:51 pm

I will look if I have the chance, but I’ve been paring down my wardrobe for a decade. It’s pretty thinned out at this point.

4. angloswiss September 22, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Our leaves are coming one after the other. No big signs of Autumn. We have very sunny weather here and no hurricane effects.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 6:30 pm

You don’t get hurricanes at all, do you. Do you get blizzards? We get both. Of course a blizzard is a hurricane with snow, really.

5. cagedunn September 22, 2017 / 6:10 pm

In the part of the world that’s a day ahead in the calendar, we have Spring. Peach blossom, apricot blossom – the pinks; plum blossom, apple and pear – the whites; the citrus flowers you can smell in your dreams; free-seeding lettuces and tall asparagus, tomato seedlings and peas that hide the new growth of the chayote.
    Spring equinox – my favourite time of year, when the soil awakens from sleep, and there is so much more time to sit in the window, with the natural light, the grapes and figs outside the window, and the words on the page before me.
    It is the refreshment of the soul after the winter of recuperation.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 6:34 pm

We missed spring entirely this year. Rain, rain, rain, rain. Mind you, we’ve had a long drought so we needed rain, but nothing bloomed. The whole early spring flowering period just washed away. Then, in the final week of June, it was SUMMER ALL OVER THE PLACE. Everything bloomed at the same time. And everything died at the same time.

Now we are in the muddy end of summer and Autumn is late. No surprise. All the other seasons were late, so why not? I just hope Autumn doesn’t completely wash away! It has happened in other years. By the time it stops raining, the trees are naked and we go from mud to snow.

• cagedunn September 22, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Happened to us last year – rain washed out all the flowers and no fruit except figs. And a few mandarins. Sad, but signs of the times.
        I met snow once, and now I avoid it completely – nice to look at, hear about, see on the screen, but I’ll take the desert and the outback bush anytime (even with snakes and scorpions).

• cagedunn September 22, 2017 / 7:37 pm

how about the racehorse lizards that run up your body if you stand still? yes, venomous. Or the wild dogs – not the dingoes, the ones people set ‘free’ to roam in packs? or the wild camels that don’t give a rats about your camp-site and walk right over it (I’ve got a bedroll that hangs in a tree)? There are more, and I think someone once said that Australia has more venomous critters than anywhere else on the planet, but what the hay? I’ve lived with them every day, so no matter.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I have heard that too. The desert in Israel was bad enough. Arizona has it’s own poisonous creatures. I’ll stay here, snow and all where the worst thing we contend with are brown recluse spiders!

6. lifelessons September 23, 2017 / 12:02 am

I think your single leaf photos have more impact than if they were both heaps of leaves. Lovely shots.

7. evelyneholingue September 23, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Too bad for the usually delightful falls. But it’s still early and I’m sure you’ll get still gorgeous days ahead of you. And leaves too.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 23, 2017 / 7:30 pm

We were out today and it was exactly like a perfect mid July day. Not even a few yellow branches. I figure another week and we’ll suddenly start to see something … as long as we don’t get more rain!

8. DailyMusings September 23, 2017 / 9:33 pm

the humidity here was very oppressive last week- the wind seemed to have cleared it out the last 2 days. But oh so hot!

9. evilsquirrel13 September 24, 2017 / 10:13 am

I’m glad all of the hurricane remnants have been steering clear of us. Last one I remember was Ike nine years ago… and it wasn’t really remnants, I think it was still officially classified as some sort of tropical storm when it roared by us over 600 miles inland! It was awful and nasty and made me so glad we didn’t live anywhere near the ocean…

• Marilyn Armstrong September 24, 2017 / 11:33 am

We get hurricanes occasionally. This was typical of what we get, which is remnants and a lot of rain. Every once in a while, though, we get a pretty big one. Our shorelines take a beating. People forget that sandy shorelines are not naturally a permanent structure, so to have them vanish in a storm isn’t unusual. I remember one year, we lost two beaches. Just gone overnight. Martha’s Vineyard lost one of it’s two primary harbors. Fortunately, while eliminating one, the storm carved out a new one nearby.

But normally, we just get a bit of wind and a lot of rain. Full-size hurricanes are relatively rare.