THE CHANGING SEASONS – SEPTEMBER AGAIN (2017)

LAYERED – THE DAILY POST WEEKLY PHOTO CHALLENGE

In this third year of watching the seasons change from month to month, this is the first time we have reached late September, yet fall has not come.

Just as summer arrived a month and a half late this year, it appears that autumn will be equally late. Almost as if this earth has been slightly knocked off its typical circuit and isn’t rolling around in the usual way.

Old brickwork along the Blackstone Canal and river

It is still late summer outside. Although you can see hints of red and yellow here and there, the normal colors of autumn are pastel and difficult to see. Patches of some of the trees, especially those along the river, have a bit of color, but not what I would normally expect.

Of course, this is by no means the latest autumn has arrived. Autumn — that burst of brilliant color — is keyed to the weather. Dry weather with cold night is what usually makes the sap stop running and turns the trees bright and clear. We’ve had warm days with cooler nights, but not cool enough. And right now, we are enjoying rain brought to us by the remnants of former hurricane Jose. No wind, or at least not in this neighborhood. Maybe it is windier along the coast and on the Island — Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard maybe.

When the rain ends, then we shall see. October is always “the” month for autumn in this region. Further north, in Canada and Maine, they might already be deep into autumn, but I’m hearing that it hasn’t happened there, either. It is still late summer, even in the north.

I have a lot of pictures this month, butΒ  you will have to wait one more month to see our glorious New England autumn.

Please don’t forget to visit:

Max a.k.a. Cardinal Guzman – TheΒ Changing SeasonsΒ

for more of this months wonderful seasons around the world.

33 thoughts on “THE CHANGING SEASONS – SEPTEMBER AGAIN (2017)

1. lifelessons September 22, 2017 / 12:36 am

Such beautiful country surrounds you. Did you move here after retirement or live here before? Also, how do you get your name on your photos, Marilyn?

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 12:58 am

We weren’t retired when we moved here and didn’t know we were about to become retired very suddenly and very soon. It was weird, you know. We bought the place and a year later, we were both out of work. Wham, bang … and it took a long time to work it all out. It was not an easy time.

2. Tish Farrell September 22, 2017 / 2:56 am

Maybe not autumn but the September light and feel so well conveyed. Garry makes a good subject, doesn’t he πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Yes, the light IS here, even if the leaves are not. When it finally stops raining, if there are still any leaves left on the trees, we should get something better. I hope. These long rains do tend to mess up the seasons.

• Tish Farrell September 22, 2017 / 6:19 pm

Yes, and one can have just too much sogginess. Not good for dogs either.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 6:29 pm

The world is all MUD. I’m hoping this storm will finally blow out to sea before the weekend is finished.

• Garry Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:12 pm

A good subject? Well – THANK YOU – Tish! But summer’s gone and I feel like I gotta travel on.

3. swo8 September 22, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Wouldn’t that be fun to fly one of those planes?
    You have so many photos of the changing season, it looks enchanting there.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:10 pm

I wanted to, but there was only one pilot and he didn’t come back while I was there. Some young scholarship student got one heck of a ride!

• Garry Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:14 pm

Mebbe next year, we’ll go back and take a ride up….into the wild blue yonder. Mebbe, Baby!

• swo8 September 22, 2017 / 3:38 pm

If no accident report he probably got back okay.

4. Covert Novelist September 22, 2017 / 1:41 pm

What exquisite pictures. As I stared at the screen, I could envision myself there. How absolutely wonderful, Marilyn! Thank you.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:09 pm

It’s a pretty good coverage of our valley — to date. Autumn isn’t here yet. I’m hoping next month will be the good month πŸ™‚ Meanwhile, the valley is always lovely, any time of year.

• Garry Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:13 pm

Hope we have an Indian Summer ……

• Covert Novelist September 22, 2017 / 2:35 pm

You live in an exquisite area. So much to witness a change in ! OMG

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 2:54 pm

I don’t think we realized what a beautiful place this was until we were already living here. We knew it was pretty, especially after moving from Boston … but from then on, sometimes, we catch our breath at how truly lovely it is. Even with all the snow!

• Covert Novelist September 22, 2017 / 3:07 pm

A treasure in the making, or perhaps found πŸ™‚ In my books, that’s you. You’ve been a treasure to me since I found you. I’m so delighted I’ve met you and we can interact and chat.

5. Emilio Pasquale September 22, 2017 / 9:40 pm

Was it just a show? Or did you guys get to go up in one? I love the look of those airplanes. Garry’s looking good, too, in his newsman blazer. I like that shot of him kneeling with his camera. Is it difficult getting up from that position, Garry? It certainly is for me!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 22, 2017 / 10:21 pm

We might have gone up, but the flight went up and stayed up and eventually we went home. Next year? There was only one pilot, one plane — with two seats. So it was one person at a time. I think only one young woman went up and she was one of the scholarship winners.

Garry is the ONLY man of his age who can not only get into that position, but get back up on his own. He doesn’t hurt until later.

6. lwbut September 23, 2017 / 1:31 am

3 beautiful montages Marilyn, very nice… but my fave pic would have to be the b/w of Garry. That one should be the one on the flyleaf of his BOOK!! πŸ˜‰

love

• Marilyn Armstrong September 23, 2017 / 1:40 am

He likes it too. In fact, of all the pictures I took of him, he liked that one best. It’s something about his eyes I think.

• lwbut September 23, 2017 / 1:49 am

I still think it makes him look Senatorial! πŸ˜‰ ( i hope that is not taken as an insult, i mean a DECENT Senator!)

love

7. Max a.k.a. Cardinal Guzman September 23, 2017 / 9:41 am

Great airplane photos, nice pics of Garry and some lovely river photos too. I hope this weekend is dry (as in no rain)!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 23, 2017 / 12:03 pm

From your lips to the sunny skies! Yes, the sun is OUT! It still doesn’t look like autumn because it’s too warm, but the TV weather folks are saying that in a few days, temperatures will drop and we will finally start to see autumn.

The airplane pix were fun for me, especially because it being a hangar, I could take pictures of them from all different levels. I’m glad you’ve added Max to your name. I ran as Teepee12 for years until one day, I got really tired of being called “Teepee!”