VIEWS FROM THE KITCHEN

A KITCHEN WINDOW

I like shooting through windows and I have a lot of pictures to prove it. It’s the only place from which I can see birds in the yard in the winter, or the frozen trees in the woods during a storm.

It’s also the place from which I can take pictures without having to put my boots on. Not a small thing when the temps are well below zero (Fahrenheit) and the snow is up to my hips.

I like the light from the east side of the house. Kitchen, dining room, our bedroom and the deck all face east.

Another focus
Utensils by the window

The picture window in the living room faces west.

Only two small windows face north and south, but the way we are situated, all the action is east and west.

When I finished taking these pictures, the sun had made its way around to the other side of the house.

I participate in WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge 2017

19 thoughts on “VIEWS FROM THE KITCHEN

1. angloswiss September 30, 2017 / 12:47 am

A good choice of shots. Even if we have a large pond in between, we still have the same cooking instruments.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 1:53 pm

When I had cast iron cookware, I got a lot of stainless steel pieces and I use them for serving. Most of my cookware now is Teflon or non-stick enamel, so I use a sort of nylon. It’s pretty good except if you aren’t careful, it melts.

2. Irene September 30, 2017 / 8:00 am

And you do it so well! Taking a well framed shot through a window is not an easy thing to do. (At least, it sure is not for me.) Great job.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 1:51 pm

If you take the same pictures for 17 years, you get better at it πŸ™‚ It really is practice. You just keep doing it until it comes out right.

3. judyt54 September 30, 2017 / 8:13 am

That is elegant light. I could get lost in that.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I do. I take the same pictures repeatedly, almost like I’m trying to scoop up the light and save it. I like the east light best, but sometimes, during certain seasons, we get a very small amount of sunset in the living room.

4. swo8 September 30, 2017 / 11:47 am

You have gorgeous window views. The photos accentuate them.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 1:49 pm

We do. It’s probably the best point of the house, really. Sometimes, it is like “living in the trees.”

5. Tina Schell September 30, 2017 / 1:38 pm

A lovely slice of your wold Marilyn – somehow I loved the utensils the best LOL

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 1:48 pm

For some reason, I love them too. I think it’s the way the light hits them from the window. They form shapes and designs that are so interesting. A happy accident πŸ™‚

6. Rebel Girl September 30, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I love the utensils too! Mine look similar. Is that a cast iron spoon I see? I would love one of those!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 8:21 pm

The spoon is actually nylon, but it looks like cast iron. I gave up my cast iron because my wrists gave up on me. They were heavy without food in them, but full of food, it took two of us to lift them πŸ™‚

• Rebel Girl September 30, 2017 / 8:34 pm

I know, I am having trouble lifting mine when they are full of food. I love using them and will not be happy when I can no longer lift them.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 9:11 pm

I wasn’t happy at all, but Garry pointed out that HE found them too heavy, so unless I wanted to ask him to help with every meal, I had to get lighter cookware. It turns out, I like the new stuff, especially the enamel coated stuff. But I’ve had to adjust all the cooking times. You can do things in cast iron you can’t do in anything else.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 11:25 am

Thank you. Every time the season changes — or I change something — I take a whole new set πŸ™‚

7. evelyneholingue October 12, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Love the light from every direction but really love your utensils rack!