POPULARITY

ONLINE POPULARITY

This has been an exceptional year for SERENDIPITY. As of today — October 1, 2017 — we have gotten more views for this year than for any previous year. Having other writers helped — and especially, it has helped me.

Moreover, this has been a strange year. A difficult, frightening year for many Americans. More people are online, all looking to make sense of a world we thought we knew. Looking for answers to questions we never imagined we could have.

I want to thank you — all you writers and readers who visit me even when I’m not having a sublime, artistic day. Some days, I know I’m’ pretty lame. I’m pretty sure this is one of them. My head is spinning with ideas, but none of them are congealing into something coherent. There are times when not writing is the best thing I can do.

I’ll leave it here. It has been a great year. Yesterday was the best day of September and the entire year has been exceptional, start to finish.

I’ve been trying to pull back enough so I have more time to take pictures and write. Which also means I have less time to read everyone else’s stuff.  I feel bad about that. If I could stretch my days an extra 10 hours, I’m sure I could get it all done, but until time becomes more elastic, I’m stuck with the standard 24 hours, some of which I have to give over to sleep. Even though I hate wasting all that time.

You make the days light up and give my world meaning.

As long as the computer keeps chugging along and the WiFi pumps through the wires, I’m with you.

32 thoughts on “POPULARITY

1. angloswiss October 1, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Love the photo. I don’t have any other writers here unfortunately, but they would write in Swiss German, or perhaps German if they did. The ride is just fun, although there are days when the ideas are not where they should be. Glad to be one of your followers and that we found each other in this big wide world of blog. It is not the miles or oceans separating us, just a few bytes here and there.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I got lucky having friends who like to write. It’s SO nice to not have to always find something to say because on a day like this, I really don’t have anything to say. I am absolutely BLANK today.

Also, frankly, Daily Post has been really dull for the past few months. I don’t know how you can find only boring words in the dictionary, but they’ve done it.

• tomcurley1 October 1, 2017 / 7:57 pm

And don’t forget Rich, his stuff is great.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 8:05 pm

I never forget Rich. He has been with me since my second year and has been an incredible support when I was too sick to post anything. He has been GREAT. I only wish he were here! He just didn’t make it into the picture, but never forgotten.

• tomcurley1 October 1, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Yes, things like this make the internet cool.

2. Willow October 1, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I think you’re pretty nifty too. Keep up the good fight.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 1:04 pm

Thank you. On a good day, I am niftier. On a day like today … well I wrote a really LONG piece. Looked at it. Deleted the whole thing. 950 words of boring. If I’m going to be dull, I might as well also be BRIEF.

• Willow October 1, 2017 / 1:50 pm

At least you wrote something, mine is literally a quote of someone else. 🙂 I’m just too tired today. Maybe later, or tomorrow. We’ll see.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 8:07 pm

I really understand the feeling. I’m just beginning to come out of my exhaustion. I’m not exactly frisky, but I’m not as paralyzed as I was a week ago.

3. Rebel Girl October 1, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I don’t often comment, but I do read. It helps that you all write posts that are worth reading. I look forward to your posts. Many of us can relate to wishing we had more time to read more of other peoples blog posts, I wish I did. WordPress makes it easy to be community friendly. That’s what I love about them!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 1:12 pm

It’s the best part of WordPress and I’m sure it is what makes them THE carrier for so many of us. It certainly isn’t their wonderful software. I have real friends online and I don’t think it is only virtual. I think, were distances shorter, we could be real human friends.

I sometimes feel a bit oppressed by blogging simply because it take up so much of my life, but I’m not sure what else i would do with the time anyhow. This way, at least I’m doing things I enjoy. Writing is my first love and taking pictures the hobby that has never deserted me.

Now, if only we could get together and have the occasional party!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 6:41 pm

It would. It could happen. It has in other places, but not locally here. But in case anyone is interested, I’m definitely good with the idea! I can even put a few people up.

• tomcurley1 October 1, 2017 / 7:51 pm

thanks and yes, I agree.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 6:42 pm

I appreciate that. This is because if I think the work is bad, I delete it. I don’t publish it anyway. I’d rather republish an older post than post something dull.

• tomcurley1 October 1, 2017 / 7:54 pm

That’s the key to good writing. You have to be able to get up the next day, look at what you wrote and be able to say “What the hell was I thinking?” And delete it. Any writer who thinks ever word they put down on paper is gold (and I’ve known a few) are not writers.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 8:09 pm

No, they aren’t. You have to recognize shit — especially when YOU wrote it. It’s why I leave most things in the cooler for a day or two before publishing, in case I go back and blanch with horror. What keeps people coming back is probably they never see the real crap I can write 🙂

4. Covert Novelist October 1, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Your among friends. No one is more aware of the constraints of time than me. We enjoy your blog and what you write. I enjoy your photography and I especially enjoy your take on “life” in general. I too would like to stretch time, why hasn’t anyone thought of that yet??? I always feel I’m stealing time from something important to do something else equally important, but there it is.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 6:43 pm

Elastic time could be a real boon. Stretch it where you need more. Let it contract the rest of the time. I’m definitely FOR that!

• Covert Novelist October 1, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Haha, me too oh so much , for the important stuff and moments, and that which isn’t can whizz on by smirk smirk

5. swo8 October 1, 2017 / 2:27 pm

You have a great team there Marilyn. You all compliment each other.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 6:44 pm

It has been wonderful for me and I think exciting for everyone. And now, we really have stuff to talk about!

• swo8 October 1, 2017 / 7:29 pm

You keep us coming back for more.

6. DailyMusings October 1, 2017 / 6:42 pm

congrats on a stellar year Marilyn- always happy to stop by and read your thoughts- whatever they may be!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 6:45 pm

The year just started out good and has stayed that way. I have no idea why and it could just as easily go back the other way. But it has been a very nice run.

7. Ellin Curley October 1, 2017 / 8:22 pm

So glad this was a good year and I could contribute to the success. It’s been an amazing year for me writing regular blogs. I’ve always loved writing but never had an outlet for it – except for myself and my family. Thank you for the opportunity to actually publish things that I write. And than you for building an audience to read what I publish. I hope we continue to grow with each coming year.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 1, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Just remember that numbers go up — and down. It’s wonderful that we are on such a nice roll, but anything can happen. I’ve been doing this long enough to have seen the peaks and the valleys. The good thing is that the lows are never as low as they were, not even on bad days … so I think as long as we keep the quality high, we’ll have readers. This year has been great fun!

8. loisajay October 2, 2017 / 11:33 am

You make me smile, laugh, and give me food for thought every Day, Marilyn. Good on ya’!

9. LensScaper October 3, 2017 / 9:23 am

You lighten up my day too Marilyn – with a smile, chuckle, or nod of agreement when I read your blog Keep going, we need people like you.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 3, 2017 / 11:39 am

Thank you. I can’t write about awful stuff all the time. It’s not that I don’t care, but life is hard enough and I need to pull back and not be obsessed with horror constantly.