ELASTIC LIKE OUR TIRED OLD BRAINS

At my ripe oldish age, we should not be required to be elastic. We are supposed to — and every television show agrees with me on this — sit in rocking chairs and rant about the good old days, even if they weren’t all that good. Complain about the music. Fail to grasp anything more complicated than the phonograph we used in the 1970s. Reject anything technological or unfamiliar. That’s what old people do, right?

This didn’t happen for us. I am every bit as up-to-date with technology as anyone in my family … and more than most. I still don’t like cell phones. That isn’t a rejection of the technology. I just don’t like the tiny keys which don’t fit my fat fingers or the crappy sound quality that makes every voice sound like it’s coming from an old tin can attached by string to another can somewhere. I bet phone designers could improve the sound if they cared. They don’t care, so probably, they won’t.

We don’t own a rocking chair. Even if we did, I wouldn’t be in it. I like the recliner. My back likes it too. Where my back goes, I follow. What we lack in rocking chairs, we make up for in WiFi.

I feel we should have been allowed to believe the political and social progress we made between the 1960s and now, was good. Fixed. I should have been allowed to feel happy about what we did. Be proud of our accomplishments. Instead, I find myself stretching my brain to fit around a world that seems to be heading backwards to a time before I was old enough to think about this stuff. It is like some cruel joke time and history have played on us.

This is a level of elasticity that seems both unfair and frankly unreal. I can’t even make sense of it most of the time … and I can usually make sense of anything. Rationalizations are us.

Garry and I have learned to accept — to stretch our brains — and deal with things we never thought we’d ever have to cope with again. Not in this life. It turns out, just when you think it’s time to kick back and watch old movies, life pops up and giggles. Or is that an insane cackle?

43 thoughts on “ELASTIC LIKE OUR TIRED OLD BRAINS

1. Garry Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 1:01 pm

It’s the dogs barking. A car pulled into the neighbor’s driveway. Could be time bandits.

2. slmret October 7, 2017 / 1:04 pm

It’s interesting that 45 is about our same age — II wonder if he spends too much time sitting in rocking chairs and ranting about the good old days, rather than accepting today as it is and moving forward from there!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 1:06 pm

I think he shows signs of serious dementia. I thought so when he was still running. His inability to use language or name things without getting lost in the sentence? Really. Signs of dementia. And he is the right age, too.

• Garry Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Slmret, 45 is 5 years younger than me and looks 10 years older. Gets most of his exercise, stepping in and out of his golf cart. I don’t think he can bend over to pick up his golf ball/s.

3. Lisa Chesser October 7, 2017 / 1:05 pm

It’s very true. After a burst of anger or upset or irritation, I snap back to myself more quickly than when I was younger. What’s better is when I don’t even feel the upset because I’ve been there before and know that it’s unnecessary.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 1:07 pm

My short-term memory isn’t all that great either, so if I give it a try, I forget about it about five minutes later anyhow. A really good memory is a big disadvantage these days.

4. swo8 October 7, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I do sense an insane cackle at some of the things that happen today.

5. angloswiss October 7, 2017 / 1:33 pm

It’s really good to have a partner that understands and shares all the golden oldie stuff. I won’t call them problems, because we are invincible and conquer them all, almost. I am not with you with the phone , however. Only this evening No. 2 son called. I immediately switched the phone to loudspeaker and we could have a conversation, Mr. Swiss, me, son, daughter in law and No. 1 grandson, 1 month old, who just joined in with a few noises. My son’s family lives on the other side of Switzerland, so personal contact does not happen often and this is a wonderful way to talk as if they were in the room with you. Otherwise the more cyber the better.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 1:45 pm

A loudspeaker would be a HUGE improvement. I have one on my Kindle, so I can listen to audiobook and music and it is wonderful.’

Garry can’t hear on it at all on either our regular phone or the cell. He has a special caption phone for deaf people. I can just barely hear it. Maybe with head phones? I figure if a phone is no good for actually making calls, what is the point? I think cyber conversation is great, though I haven’t quite gotten how to use it. Yet.

• angloswiss October 7, 2017 / 1:58 pm

It is really a great help to us as when son calls he can speak to both of us and I don’t have to explain it all afterwards. It comes through loud and clear on the smartphone

• lwbut October 9, 2017 / 1:05 am

I’ve never tried one myself, but have you ever used one of the on-ear bluetooth devices for phone reception?

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 9, 2017 / 1:09 am

Garry can’t because he already wears hearing aids and ear canals can only hold one device at a time. I can’t because the damned things fall out. I can wear headphones, but nothing that fits in the ear. I have these weird, straight ear canals and nothing stays in them. Not ear buds, ear plugs, or anything else.

6. Fandango October 7, 2017 / 2:00 pm

I wish my muscles and ligaments had the same elasticity they once had. *sigh*

7. Emilio Pasquale October 7, 2017 / 2:04 pm

It’s a cackle, Marilyn. Definitely a cackle. Whatever happened to the summer of love? It was supposed to last longer than just the one summer.

8. Covert Novelist October 7, 2017 / 3:24 pm

How did I miss all of these articles??? Very glad I found them!

• Covert Novelist October 7, 2017 / 4:17 pm

The last 3 … I simply couldn’t come up with anything for elastic, as for the last 3 I’d have to go look them up now, I’m brain dead today

• Covert Novelist October 7, 2017 / 5:55 pm

Do you celebrate TG? We are having just our family, which is special to me and the kids so it’s all good. Gravy is , after all a 3rd food group as my son calls it lol

• Covert Novelist October 7, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Absolutely. Why not, same here. I cut bread for stuffing celery onions, etc, but I don’t make the meal, it’s good

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 8:15 pm

I did ALL the cooking for about 40 years. One day, I realized if I never cooked another meal, that would be just FINE. Of course I still cook … but I leave the “big events” to younger hands. I suspect they are getting tired, too. They are not so young anymore.

• Covert Novelist October 7, 2017 / 8:28 pm

My daughter groans or did a few years back when she realized the button was hers. Now we share it she does the turkey and doesn’t mind

9. helen meikle's scribblefest October 7, 2017 / 7:00 pm

In my darker moments, I wonder whether things will get better, or whether we’ve jettisoned too many of the tools needed to turn it around. Things like personal and social responsibility, a capacity for humility, respect…

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 7:27 pm

And an education.

Everything turns around — eventually. We may not be around to see it, but assuming we don’t kill the planet, it will happen.

10. Rebel Girl October 7, 2017 / 8:59 pm

“I believe that ultimately, everything will right itself. With a little bit of luck, it may do that sooner rather than later. I have no proof to support this opinion, only a gut feeling and a bare remnant of optimism.”

I hope you you are right about that.

11. lwbut October 9, 2017 / 1:18 am

I think a (very big) part of the problem is the ever increasing size of the human race and the ever-growing spread and speed of communication with more of the planet’s population in our ‘everyday’ lives.

We basically have an over-supply of choice and what was once a relatively simple choice to make as to what direction a community or nation should move in or toward has become more and more complex causing more splintering and factions all pulling us in different directions.

Short of a world war to drastically and suddenly decrease the planet’s population i can’t see this changing, rather the dysfunctionality will get, if anything, steadily worse.

Sorry to be gloomy but that’s the way i see it. 😦

The best we could all probably do is learn to just focus on what is going on in our own small community and do what we can to be a part of it and help make it the way we want it to be and avoid as much as possible the rest of the ‘outside’ world. The more i see of the world the less comfortable i am living in it i find.

Less is more!

love

12. lwbut October 9, 2017 / 1:20 am

Oh – and as for our ‘elastic’ brains… I read the title as: Elastic like our tired BARNS!!! I was curious to see why they were elastic? πŸ˜‰

love

13. lwbut October 9, 2017 / 2:17 am

Love waves back! πŸ˜‰

(Hi Tachyon!)

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 9, 2017 / 3:42 am

Garry got really annoyed with “Voyager” the other day. The ENTIRE show was gibberish and fake technology. I had to laugh. Fully half of Star Trek is technobabel, but when it gets into 100% technobabel, you suddenly realize they have forgotten the plot.

• lwbut October 9, 2017 / 5:36 am

I’m pretty sure some writers have a far better grasp of human/alien relationship issues than with scientific technologic possibilities. I’m with Garry! – I like a little plausibility in my escapism. πŸ˜‰

love