LOOKING OUT MY BACK DOOR

It isn’t as glorious an autumn as I have seen, but when I woke up this morning, the sun was shining and the woods were glowing gold.

Our backyard with the table, the glider, and the shed.

This is as pretty as our woods get. We don’t get that gorgeous scarlet because we have no maple trees. The dark shade from the tall oaks makes it impossible for maples to thrive.

The first leaves to change color, the first to drop from the tree

We do have one maple directly in front of the house. It is turning scarlet. I’m not sure, but it may be the only maple on our property.Β

19 thoughts on “LOOKING OUT MY BACK DOOR

1. Absolutely Olivia October 7, 2017 / 9:21 am

Oh wow, these photos truly took my breath away! the gold was wonderful πŸ™‚

2. angloswiss October 7, 2017 / 10:39 am

You have a wonderful view from your back door and I am sure you also have the accompanying noises of nature to go with it. I am jealous, all I have is metal scaffolding – but that will also depart eventually, I hope.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 11:38 am

Half the year, that entire area is buried so deep in snow, NO one can go there. Just birds … and little ones at that. We tend to hang out on the deck, thus dodging around all those stairs. I also like the view from the deck. When the family was young, we had barbecues and stuff on the lawn, but there’s just two of us. I love the view, but I’m happy to relax on the deck with the kitchen just a couple of feet — no stairs — away.

3. slmret October 7, 2017 / 12:33 pm

Wow — those maple leaves look like bright red flowers! And the yellows are gorgeous! Happy autumn!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 12:59 pm

It isn’t going to be our most brilliant season, but at least we HAVE a season. I was beginning to lost hope πŸ™‚

4. swo8 October 7, 2017 / 1:15 pm

The flowers are red but everything else in the photos aren’t there yet.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 3:49 pm

The red tree in front of the house is JUST turning red — almost as I watch. I’d take pictures, but … it’s raining again.

• swo8 October 7, 2017 / 4:19 pm

It’s amazing to see them turn like that.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 5:25 pm

It is changing, but we haven’t had the right weather. We need cooler days and much colder nights. It is much warmer than it ought to be this time of year. We are getting color and we will get more, but I think we’ve missed the opening for a full change. Unless the weather does a very sudden shift. We keep having these lovely, summery days. Garry loves wearing shorts. I don’t mind the warm weather, but maybe some really cold nights?

5. DailyMusings October 7, 2017 / 8:59 pm

love that gold- the treetops are changing here- just beginning! Meanwhile the air conditioning is running because it is so hot!!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 7, 2017 / 11:44 pm

It’s still pretty warm during the day. Cool at night, but still pretty warm. In the mid 80s. Very warm for this late in the season.

6. lwbut October 8, 2017 / 12:42 am

Those trees look like they would do a pretty fair job of keeping the rest of the world from intruding on your privacy and home… if only it weren’t for the darn TV/Internet huh? πŸ˜‰

I think i’d feel pretty safe there!

You have your warm weather we have unusually cold ( like mid winter!) weather at the moment, although Spring weather is forecast for late this week.

Fortunately, it is not stopping my garden from looking like it really is mid-spring after all ! πŸ™‚

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:46 am

It’s pretty private here. In the winter, no one but us will even attempt the driveway. If we don’t keep cutting things down, we might be trapped IN the house! And yes, it’s till pretty warm around here. It looks like fall, but it feel like July.

• lwbut October 8, 2017 / 1:37 am

80 degrees + is just about my perfect weather – but we probably have different humidity /comfort levels over here. And it can be annoying when you get 80 but would prefer 60 something. πŸ˜‰

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 1:55 am

Oh, I don’ t mind the temperature. It’s nice. Very pleasant. It’s just that it is supposed to be about 20 degrees cooler.