HARVESTING THE CORN – MONOCHROME IN VERMONT

Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: All Things Farm Related

Good thing we live in an area with farms, eh? All reminding me that we owe it to ourselves to see if there’s any fresh corn or tomatoes at the locals farms. It’s getting late in the season, so mostly now, it’s all about apples.

The corn is ripe

The harvester arrives
Corn shoots into the container
Taking out the final row

All of these pictures were taken while we were visiting friends in Peacham, Vermont. All shot during the hour while they harvested a field of corn. I wasn’t sure I would like them in monochrome, but I think I like them better. The sepia and selenium toning gives the photographs an “outside-of-time” feeling.

12 thoughts on “HARVESTING THE CORN – MONOCHROME IN VERMONT

1. angloswiss October 8, 2017 / 1:11 am

Sepia is a good Choice for country scenes, transports you back to the good old days. Particularly like the photo second to last with the spout shooting out the corn

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 1:16 am

Thank you. I thought that was a very cool shot. I didn’t know until I saw it that this is how they harvest corn. The corn holder looks like a little house on wheels.

2. Cee Neuner October 8, 2017 / 10:53 am

Oh Marilyn, these photos look so good in sepia tones. Brilliant idea.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Thank you. Sepia really is the right color to make the photos look “old” without making them “antique.” I learned something new, which makes ME pretty happy, too 😀 That’s part of why I love your challenging. I try things I wouldn’t otherwise attempt and sometimes, it really works out.

3. swo8 October 8, 2017 / 4:45 pm

That looks so good, especially with the farm equipment.

4. lwbut October 9, 2017 / 1:23 am

Quite agree – they give a warmer, homlier feel to the pics than simple b/w!

Great shots!

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 9, 2017 / 3:39 am

It’s not just sepia It’s a combo of sepia and platinum which is why it has a silvery cast.

• lwbut October 9, 2017 / 5:34 am

Cool! Looks better to me than plain sepia or b/w 🙂

love