THROUGH THE GLASS A BIT DARKLY

A Photo a Week: Under Glass

I’m pretty sure Nancy really wanted a picture of something shot through glass, and I suppose I could have gone down the hall and shot a picture of my dolls in their glass cabinet. Of, for that matter, the glass cabinet in this room. Some of them are more accurately … through glass. Sunglasses. And a little amber bottle.

Quincy Harbor from the 7th floor …

Past the tools through the glass table
Glass on glass

22 thoughts on “THROUGH THE GLASS A BIT DARKLY

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Thanks. That’s the best view of the harbor I ever saw. I didn’t want to shoot through the window, but there was no choice. No balcony. Glad I did it.

The amber bottle came with a tiny daffodil in it from my son. I have kept the bottle. In case I have another tiny daffodil ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Covert Novelist October 14, 2017 / 11:55 am

I love the amber bottle best, but they are all interesting in a different way. Thank you for sharing.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 12:51 pm

Thanks! It was interesting trying to figure out which pictures suited the challenge … and which didn’t. I wasn’t sure if “through” glass was the same as “under” glass, but I wanted something other than a store window. It was fun ๐Ÿ˜€

2. swo8 October 14, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Very creative, Marilyn. I think that trawl with the inches measured would be handy for planting bulbs.

3. DailyMusings October 14, 2017 / 7:19 pm

very clever Marilyn, to choose sunglasses! I do love the bottle in front of the window too!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 7:46 pm

Thank you! I have so many pictures of things seen through a window, I figured I’d try something different. I’m glad it worked out ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Rebel Girl October 14, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Is that plate in the bottom picture Limoges? Clever of you to use the glasses!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 10:53 pm

The plates are 18th century antique Rose Famille porcelain from China … but Limoges copied the designs. Actually, a LOT of companies copied these designs.

The table has a glass top, a shelf underneath where I keep some of my old Chinese plates and some not-nearly-so-old (about 50 years) Wedgewood. Also some relatively new Italian glass. It’s nice to get some use out of the table. Beneath that, it also has drawers where I keep things like the tick puller for the dogs and collars and spare remote controls. Coffee tables are usually just a waste of space. This one at least displays stuff and hold other useful small items.

• Rebel Girl October 14, 2017 / 11:04 pm

It is beautiful. All our coffee tables have storage spaces. Our house was built in 1895. No closets in the bedrooms, no handy storage spaces.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 11:08 pm

I’ve lived in old houses like that where the only closet might have held a broom and a dustpan, but that was it. I redesigned a hallway and turned it into a closet … also used what I think was a nursery and made that a closet. I grew up in a really old house and my mother turned any area that wasn’t a full size room into a closet. She spent her life building closets.

• Rebel Girl October 14, 2017 / 11:13 pm

I did the same thing with the nursery too! It was connected to the main bedroom and became a walk in closet. My mother moved in and we gave her those two rooms. I just built a makeshift area in another room. We still don’t have ceiling lights in some of the rooms.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 14, 2017 / 11:21 pm

Those little nurseries were about the size of a medium walk-in closet anyway! This house is only 45 years old but it’s STILL falling apart.

• Rebel Girl October 14, 2017 / 11:28 pm

They were small. I was told the entire room was just beds from side to side. They had 13 children in this house, all the younger ones and the nanny slept in the nursery.

5. lwbut October 15, 2017 / 5:25 am

That is a beautiful little bottle! ๐Ÿ™‚

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 15, 2017 / 11:59 am

It is. I don’t know where my son found it. He used to collect little bottles, so at one time, he had dozens of them. I don’t think he has them any more. I may have the last of the collection.

6. nancy merrill October 15, 2017 / 11:54 am

I leave everything up to individual interpretation. Love your selection. It looks like you are hiding from the sunglass reflection in the first one. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for joining the challenge!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 15, 2017 / 11:58 am

It was fun and I had to think about how I wanted to do it — always a healthy thing ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks again!!