OCTOBER IN THE VALLEY

We didn’t go out today or yesterday. It was gray yesterday and even grayer today, with dribbles of rain too. Garry still doesn’t feel well. He’s got the thing that’s going around. I had it before, so I hope I don’t get it again.

It has gotten quite chilly. The chill goes well with the damp. This is going to be one of those years when we go seamlessly from air-conditioning to heating with nary a weekend in between.

Interesting the ways in which the light changes with the seasons. Remarkable how these relatively subtle lighting changes affect our pictures. This time of year, at this latitude, the sunlight — especially in late afternoon — is amber. It is at its most amber at around 4:30, just before it starts to get dark.

Everything changes color. I know that those leaves are yellow, with the golden light, the camera says they are closer to gold or orange. I can’t make the leaves yellow without making the colors in the rest of the picture change too … so they have remained as close as I could keep them to the way I — and my camera — saw them.

This is the absolutely best time of year for color portraits. Anyone with a hint of skin pigment looks amazing in that amber light. The rest of us don’t look half bad either.

Home again.

23 thoughts on “OCTOBER IN THE VALLEY

1. slmret October 16, 2017 / 12:20 am

You have some gorgeous scenery, and it really does pop with the amber light coming from a lower angle! A beautiful post!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 12:36 am

Garry was first mad at me for waiting so late in the day, but when he saw the light, he changed his mind. We only get that light from the end of September to about the middle of November, then it turns to pale yellow, then nearly white with a hint of blue in winter.

• slmret October 16, 2017 / 11:46 am

It really was a golden hour in a golden season! Glad you waited!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 12:06 pm

And very glad we didn’t wait one MORE day! This season came so late and I don’t think it lasted a whole week. Disappointing, but at least we got the one GOOD day!

2. angloswiss October 16, 2017 / 12:32 am

Very good Autumn captures. I also find the light effectsenhance the Autumn photos. May Gary soon be feeling better.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 12:34 am

He’ll be okay. You know, he’s a guy. So, well, you know.

The light in Autumn is just beautiful. I wish it would look like that all year!

3. lwbut October 16, 2017 / 2:51 am

Isn’t it amazing how beautiful the world is with next to no humans in it???

I think there’s probably a lesson in there for all of us.

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 12:40 pm

The right humans are okay. The problem is, there are too few right ones and far too many wrong ones.

4. Paula October 16, 2017 / 4:01 am

I hope Garry will feel completely recovered soon, and that you will not catch it again. The subtle light in your landscapes makes these frames poetic, the one of a closer view of pine leaves is my favourite. Beautiful and beautifully written post.

5. DailyMusings October 16, 2017 / 5:49 am

I can feel Autumn in this photos- just beautiful. I especially like the close up of the red leaves

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 12:42 pm

As I look outside now, the red leaves are almost gone. About half the leaves have already fallen. Autumn got here late, but the fall of leaves is early. We usually get at least one more week.

6. swo8 October 16, 2017 / 10:15 am

Wish Garry a speedy recovery for me, Marilyn.
    You can see the change in light in your photos. The season is moving along very fast. (mid October already)

• swo8 October 16, 2017 / 1:34 pm

The sun is out today, but it’s a bit cool. We’re putting the summer things away.

7. evelyneholingue October 16, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Wish Garry the best and I hope you won’t catch anything. Your photos are gorgeous. This bridge and dam are really something through your lens. You two take care.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 9:42 pm

I think he’s feeling a little better. It’s so easy to pick stuff up. Just go to the grocery and meet a few people. Every has something to pass along πŸ™‚

We had one really good shooting day and luckily, we were there. Not much of a season this year. Oh well.

8. Rebel Guy October 16, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Beautiful Pictures. I especially like the first one.

• Rebel Guy October 16, 2017 / 9:45 pm

I bet. It was the loop da loop that caught my attention in the reflection. Very nice.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 16, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I used to call it the “eye” bridge because with the reflection, it looks like an eye. The trees even look like eyelashes.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 17, 2017 / 2:03 pm

It is an elegant one. There are more of these, but many of them are falling apart. This one is in good condition. And it’s easy to find with the camera.