A CACOPHONY OF PIXELS

Some pictures are noisy. They make a pretty cacophony.

In the Autumn of the year, I take a lot of pictures. Everywhere. All the time. Many of them are lovely. Others are more like a riot of colors without any theme, unless color by itself can be a theme. They are pretty. Would make a wonderful fabric print … or even wallpaper … but they don’t make much of a photograph.

It turns out, a good photograph needs a “thing” to center you eyes on. That’s the thing that puts the remainder of the picture into perspective.

These pictures don’t have perspective. They are pretty and colorful.

Of the thousands of pictures I take, probably 10% get “fixed up” for displaying online. By this I mean cropped and reduced in size, if necessary, straightened, and all around cleaned up. I do a lot of work on some pictures. On others, almost nothing short of signing my name or Garry’s. And before you ask, Garry is never going to use Photoshop. He’s gotten pretty good on managing Facebook and he can write and edit in the dashboard of WordPress. He is a pretty good critic of what I’m doing on the picture. Good eye, good sense of balance, color and perspective. It’s the diddling with the application where he gets lost.

Photoshop is seven nerdy steps above his technical pay grade. It seems to be above the pay grade of a many people, Honestly, of all the things you can do with it, I probably know maybe 4%? The rest I do using filters. I’ve always deeply envied real graphic artists are able to make magic with their software.

Not me, but I learn a little more everyday

Photo: Marilyn Armstrong

I spent almost all day yesterday looking for the one camera I don’t have anymore. I had one and I loved it, but it got old and I banged it up and it never quite shot the way it used to after I whacked the barrel of the lens on a stone fence. When I went to buy another one just like it, they weren’t making them anymore. They exist, but they are much a lot longer, but not nearly as sharp and they do not work as well in low light.

Intermittently, I look for a replacement. I want something small enough to keep in my bag and light enough so I don’t need a hand-truck to move it. I bought a little Sony CoolPix with a nice Tessar lens last month, but it’s slow. Painfully slow. And — noisy. Not the kind of pictures I’m likely to display. I don’t see it becoming my “take everywhere” camera. It’s the right size, but it’s not good enough.

So now, I’m brooding on the Canon Powershot SX-620. The 420, its bigger brother, does everything … and it is so much like my big Panasonic Lumix FZ-300 — about the same size, too — I don’t see the point. I want something I can slip into a shirt pocket, not something that needs another big bag.

Included in this are a selection of noisy pictures because after all, cacophony is the name of the game. And if anyone has used the Canon Powershot SX-620, let me know what you think of it.

It’s on my mind.

33 thoughts on “A CACOPHONY OF PIXELS

1. ravenhawks magazine October 23, 2017 / 2:03 pm

Noisy but beautiful! I walked around yesterday taking pictures because after two days of rain much of the fall foliage will need to be raked out of my yard..

2. Bette A. Stevens October 23, 2017 / 3:18 pm

Great photos! All I use is my Canon PowerShot. It’s easy to use and just right for me. Unlike you and my hubby Dan, I’m far from an expect photographer; but, I take my little Canon everywhere I go. Have a great week and keep capturing all that magic for us, Marilyn. πŸ™‚ xo

• Marilyn Armstrong October 23, 2017 / 5:45 pm

I had a series of Canon Powershots and they were GREAT cameras. They stopped making the ones I liked, but I got some of my best pictures using them. I wish they would start making them again!

3. swo8 October 23, 2017 / 3:27 pm

I’d say the photos are pretty lively.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 23, 2017 / 7:16 pm

We were out today and I didn’t have a camera — well not a camera that was nearly good enough. Wow the colors have really popped!

• swo8 October 23, 2017 / 7:27 pm

You’d better hurry because they won’t last.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 23, 2017 / 11:46 pm

I took a few today, but I didn’t have a decent camera with me. Planning on tomorrow. IF it doesn’t rain!

• swo8 October 24, 2017 / 10:21 am

Well they were wrong here. The sun is out and I’m not complaining.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 24, 2017 / 11:10 am

Raining here, so probably you’ll get the rain tomorrow. But we need rain. We always need rain. I try to feel better about it that way.

• swo8 October 24, 2017 / 12:15 pm

It may cloud over later today.

4. Covert Novelist October 23, 2017 / 4:12 pm

All I can say is I enjoy your photos. Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and even if there isn’t a focal point, it’s pretty to look at and enjoy. I especially appreciate your sharing them all πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong October 23, 2017 / 7:16 pm

These are definitely pretty, but they are just colors. Pretty. Not great photography, but they would make a really nice fabric pattern.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 24, 2017 / 12:54 pm

I had a friend who was a painter in college. She never managed to sell any paintings, though she was pretty good and I certainly liked them, but then she got into the fabric design business and she really made some money and her work is all over the place.

• Covert Novelist October 24, 2017 / 3:31 pm

I saw a woman on a sewing show years ago and she literally dropped pieces of fabric onto a backing and sewed them in place and it was exactly like looking at a stream with a bank and trees with changing leaves. I thought it was both remarkable and beautiful.

5. Rebel Girl October 23, 2017 / 6:00 pm

I have a broken one that I loved. The lens got stuck. We bought one for my niece, not knowing she had one, so we kept it. I will check what kind it is and take a few shots if it is the same one you are checking out.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 23, 2017 / 7:15 pm

I know a few people who had them — the “A” model. There was a long series of them and then, they stopped making them. They really were great. I have no idea why they stopped making them, either. They were really popular.

6. lwbut October 24, 2017 / 4:25 am

Would E-Bay have anything that would suit?

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 24, 2017 / 11:16 am

You mean … as a camera? The answer to that is “yes.” The models are different for your country and mine, but “international” editions are made that can be used anywhere and they are USUALLY cheaper. Let me know what you are looking at before you buy it! But yes. there are a few good “all-in-one” cameras that would probably work for you especially if size isn’t your issue. As long as you don’t need to slip it into your pocked. If you ALSO want it to be tiny, that narrows the field and to get something that is both very good and tiny costs more.

You like taking pictures. I think you would like it a LOT more if you had a really good little camera. It might be worth the difference in price to get something that would really make you happy and would be with you a long time.

If you specifically wanted an A model Canon, no. They are 7 or 8 years out of date by now. Anything you could get would be old and probably seriously broken. But there are new cameras that are as good and many, even better. More expensive, but essentially similar in most ways.

• lwbut October 24, 2017 / 12:26 pm

I was initially thinking of one of the old models (second hand ) for you since hey don’t make them anymore.

I might treat myself for Xmas with a current model πŸ™‚

i’ll run my shortlist by you when i have one πŸ˜‰

love.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 24, 2017 / 12:59 pm

I finally threw away my last, broken one. I kept it for years because I couldn’t bear to toss it, but there comes a time to dispose of the broken pieces of earlier life. I haven’t had a good, small, pocketable camera in years now. Panasonic was making some good ones — then THEY stopped making good ones and started trying to see how big a lens they could pack into a tiny body. Now, the best of the smallest seem to be Sony (Zeiss lens) and the Leica semi-automatic ones which are brilliant. Leica used to be the MOST expensive cameras in the consumer market, but their new smaller ones are pretty much within 20 or 30 dollars of the equivalent Panasonic (with Leica lenses) and Sony (with Zeiss lenses) models. Canon hasn’t seemed to get it together with “good lens” and “small.” They used to be the best, but they are lagging way behind now compared to other companies.

• lwbut October 24, 2017 / 11:50 pm

I have the same issues with throwing away my cherished but outdated stuff. 😦

Thanks for the good camera info. I thought of looking at a Sony mirrorless but have had a Sony product before (TV) and was less than impressed.

I quite like my little Fuji – it packs a lot into a little package for a very reasonable price, but i agree – the leica lenses are one of the best to get.

I still have time to check before Xmas πŸ˜‰

love.

7. evilsquirrel13 October 24, 2017 / 9:42 am

I had Photoshop Elements 10 on my old computer before it went to cirtual heaven last week, which is a six year old edition that already did thousands of fancy things I either had no interest in or didn’t want to take the time to figure out. I have yet to get the updated edition for my new computer, but I can only imagine what useless gimmicks, bells and whistles have all been added in the intervening years. I’ll probably just continue to use it for the same simple things I did before….

• Marilyn Armstrong October 24, 2017 / 11:12 am

Actually, Elements is still pretty much stripped down to the basics. I think you don’t need to worry about this one. I use Photoshop the way you use Elements — like maybe — 5% of the total possible uses? But that’s all I need from it.

8. choosingmyperspective October 25, 2017 / 11:13 am

Can’t help you much with the camera dilemma but I sure would like to go on one of your walks! How beautiful it is there! Thanks for showing us!!