DUKE’S FIRST SNOW

At least, we think it is his first. All the dogs really love the first snow or two, especially if they aren’t very deep. When we get really heavy blizzards, we have to dig channels for them in the snow because Scottish Terriers have short legs. Duke will probably take wing and fly across the snow.

After they got through with the frenzy of greeting us, they have mostly been outside and bringing piles of snow into the house. They are so happy about it too. We get towels, dry them off … and they say “Thanks, guys,” and they are back out the doggy door in a flash.

40 thoughts on “DUKE’S FIRST SNOW

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 12:19 am

They were out in the snow because they have fur coats. I was NOT outside in the snow — because I don’t have a fur coat. I could have gone out to take pictures, but I would have needed to put on boots and a coat and all I wanted to do was read, write, and hang out in a warm, quiet place. I’m hoping I perk up a bit tomorrow.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:04 am

We get tired pretty easily. Garry did get it together to shovel the sidewalk. I could barely get it together to make supper. I don’t know if this is emotional or physical, but there are days when I really don’t want to do anything.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:21 am

And indeed, it is. You know, people sometimes ask why I don’t work at this or that … and I tell them “I don’t work anymore. I am retired.” They don’t get it.

• Garry Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:10 pm

Cold enough for me, Life. Not this old TV reporter’s favorite season. Memories of too many blizzard live shots over the years. The new generation of local TV newsies are going nuts, scooping snow to show how cold, white and wet it is. Using rulers to show the depth. Ah, once upon a time..

I teased Duke as I was shovelling the front walk. He kept jumping in front of me. I finally let him have it! shovels of snow in his face. The kid LOVED it! You can’t win with Duke. He’s too cute and knows it.

• Garry Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:40 pm

I cannot remember being that young and romping in the snow. I sure as hell wouldn ‘t admit it. We had REAL snowfalls in those days…………

• lifelessons December 11, 2017 / 2:28 pm

Same with Morrie. You guys should move to Mexico. No snow. Cheaper everything.

• Garry Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 4:54 pm

But I won’t build any walls….

1. angloswiss December 11, 2017 / 12:14 am

Funny how dogs enjoy the snow. Cats are not so keen, they prefer to watch it falling through the window.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 12:24 am

Cats don’t generally like weather, although tigers swim and I’ve had a few cats who loved water (really, no kidding). The dogs love these light snows. They generally don’t like the heavy snows, probably because they are too small to push through them. But these are fun. They run around and roll in it, come in covered with snow and grinning.

2. lwbut December 11, 2017 / 1:23 am

It’s 37 Deg C outside here right now – 99 of your smaller degrees. I wouldn’t mind rolling around in the snow myself! πŸ˜‰

• swo8 December 11, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Where the heck are you lwbut? 37’C/99’F. sounds good to me.

• lwbut December 12, 2017 / 1:35 am

I’m in the Southern Hemisphere’s version of L.A. So Cal (minus the forest fires (for the moment!) – Perth, Western Australia, and as you might guess – Summer is hee-errr! πŸ˜‰

Unfortunately it’s a 20 +hr , two flight (minimum) trip!

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2017 / 1:37 am

Yes, I know. We have often wished we could make the trip, but especially from THIS coast, it’s an expensive and very long trip. There’s no “one flight” option to your hemisphere πŸ™‚

• lwbut December 12, 2017 / 1:55 am

Our Aussie airline Qantas has just started a non-stop service from here to London and back – you could book a ‘short’ side trip next time you fly to England! πŸ™‚

I’ll put the coffee machine on. πŸ˜‰

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2017 / 2:01 am

I don’t think we are going to England anytime soon. Not that I don’t WANT to go, mind you, but it’s expensive and it’s not a short hop across the Atlantic. Actually, it’s probably shorter and faster to hop over to SF or LA and take the flight from there, sometimes with a quick stopover in Hawaii … but I think we are too poor for that, too. Garry has wanted to go to the south Pacific his entire life. We just never got there.

• swo8 December 12, 2017 / 11:07 am

Now sounds really nice. Can’t wait to say “summer is here”.

• lwbut December 13, 2017 / 11:41 pm

It might take a while! Maybe you could try a short stop in the Bahamas and catch the Sun? πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong December 14, 2017 / 12:03 am

That might be a really LONG stop. I think if you get Garry to the Bahamas, you might never get him out again.

• lwbut December 14, 2017 / 12:45 am

There are worse places to stay i’m thinking?? πŸ˜‰

Send me a postcard! πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Bob, we watched an Aussie Christmas story last night, “Brokenwood Murder Mysteries”. Santa Claus aka the town Mayor and his aide got bumped off to set the tone. Ho! Ho! Ho! Yes, it was warm in the village as they solved the Santa murder caper. Ho! Ho! Ho!

• lwbut December 12, 2017 / 1:46 am

You think it was warm in the village?? Try wearing a Santa Suit with padding and beard when it’s in the 90’s! πŸ˜‰ Ho Ho Phew!

I’ve seen some ad’s for Brokenwood but have not caught an episode yet – did you enjoy it? Is it worth a view?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2017 / 2:02 am

It’s not bad. Nice sense of humor, though we need captions to work through their accent. They talk kinda funny, y’know?

• lwbut December 12, 2017 / 2:41 am

I was raised in the UK so I know what you mean! πŸ˜‰

‘Real’ Australian is called ‘strine’ ( the ‘i’ is elongated). It’s the phonetic version of ‘Australian’ in the local dialect – true! πŸ™‚

I’ll have to check Brokenwood out and maybe send you a transcript suitably translated. I’m Tri-lingual you know?

I speak English, Australian AND American. πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong December 12, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Bob, we like “Brokenwood” and its characters. Nice script and the landscape is always lovely.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 1:28 pm

And who can blame him? Apparently there will be two more snowy days coming up really soon. I haven’t gotten the driveway cleared from the first snow yet and with two more on top of it, the driveway will be useless until spring, unless we get a serious thaw. Oh sigh. I wish we had cleared the drive. This is going to be a major pain in the butt.

3. Embeecee December 11, 2017 / 2:27 pm

Huny is anti-snow. She’s a chihuahua and I think there’s a gene in that dog breed that says white cold water on one’s person is unladylike or something…anyway she does that 1/14 th of a second dash outside and back inside, where she is scolded and herded back outside, because no way did she have time to do anything of substance. She is of your dogs’ school of thought of “you go inside, why can’t I?” She prefers the bathmat in my bathroom to this end, and now I have to keep the door shut. Particularly with the weensy bit of snow we did get. For Huny, it’s still too much. Duke is indeed an adventurer, is he not?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 12, 2017 / 2:05 am

They are fine in light or medium snow, but will NOT go out in the rain unless beaten with a stick. They hate rain. The heavier the rain, the more they won’t go out. They do the same thing as your kid — and they are not chihuahuas. They run outside, count to 5, run back in. We have to actually lock them out for a few minutes. And we have to get up early to fight with them about going out, too. Bonnie is particularly bad. Otherwise a little bit of snow is fun, but a LOT of snow, not so much.

4. Covert Novelist December 11, 2017 / 2:29 pm

On this date one year ago, we had our first snowfall, huge in fact. We’re not cold enough for snow yet….yet being the operative word. I started life on this planet on the prairies where it was 40 below 0 so you couldn’t stay out long or your lung would freeze. Then we moved to the Okanagan where we had 120 F weather in summer and 4 to 5 ft. of snow all winter. On the North Island, there is little snow, 2 years we had snow in 30 and they were 2ft and drifts of 5 to 6 feet covering cars. Otherwise, it was sideways rain (like in horror movies, running down the windows like a hose was turned on them) Here, we’re back to seasons and the novelty of having snow hasn’t worn off although, I personally don’t have to shovel it or move it or take care of it. Which sadly puts me in the “cat” category where I stare out longingly at the falling snow when it happens and enjoy the silence of snow covered world but longing to roll around and play in it with the abandonment of your pooch.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 4:21 pm

I miss simply being able to walk in it, but I’m much too unsteady on my feet for that. It IS beautiful, but it also very difficult to live with and even with others doing the plowing, this is not a good place to deal with snow. That long, sloping driveway is a killer in the winter.

• Garry Armstrong December 14, 2017 / 11:26 am

Covert, impressively horrible weather you have.

5. omniclassic December 11, 2017 / 3:44 pm

Deep snow and short legs just don’t cut it.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 4:18 pm

When Bishop was with us, he used to plow through the snow so the smaller dogs would have room to move. Without Bishop, it’s up to us. In these winter days, I miss Bishop. He really loved the snow. He would happily sleep in a drift and let the small dogs sleep on top of him.