DOGS WATCHING FOR SANTA?

We have very alert dogs. I know this because they bark.

They bark at cars passing by and even more at a car or truck in the driveway. They bark when someone comes to deliver a package. They get downright frenzied when someone comes into the house. Gibbs goes totally nuts if that someone happens to be my son, with whom he has developed a passionate bond. Duke feels that way about our granddaughter. Bonnie saves all that passion for Garry and occasionally, for me.

This week, they seem to be spending much of their time perched atop the sofa, watching out the window. I think they are watching for one little sleigh, a red-coated elf with a long white beard … and who knows what kind of goodies?

Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out whether or not there’s any point in wrapping their gifts since I’d have to unwrap them so they’d know what they are.

Maybe I’ll just go with a ribbon?

31 thoughts on “DOGS WATCHING FOR SANTA?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 1:12 am

I think they’ll be happy enough to make do with us πŸ™‚ We are God, in a friendly and local kind of way, so I guess we can be Santa too πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:05 pm

Santa and the dogs = breaking news for Wolfie on CNN.

1. lwbut December 21, 2017 / 1:56 am

It’s easy to see who ( thinks he) is top dog in the household!

Love the first pic of The Duke and Gibbs (?) conspiring. ( “You distract him and i’ll grab his sack!”) πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:07 pm

Duke is like a mafia hit man. he shadows me EVERYWHERE.

• lwbut December 21, 2017 / 9:40 pm

That’s so’s he doesn’t miss a trick!… and by trick, i mean Treat! πŸ˜‰

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:09 pm

Yes, Duke makes his “top dog” position pretty clear. I find it annoying, but I also understand that this is something the dogs need to work out between them and nothing I do will change it. Bonnie IS top dog and no matter what Duke does, she isn’t likely to change. She doesn’t have to do anything to prove it, either. She just IS the top.

• lwbut December 21, 2017 / 9:43 pm

Youth thinks they know what’s what, but maturity has seen all they have, several times more, and has the wisdom of all that experience. πŸ˜‰

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 9:48 pm

I know dogs, anyway. I’ve had them all my life. I wish I could make DUKE understand. You know … he’s still growing.

• Garry Armstrong December 23, 2017 / 1:30 pm

Bob, sounds reasonable.

2. Taswegian1957 December 21, 2017 / 6:08 am

I confess I wrapped all the pet presents although I did use paper left over from wrapping other stuff. Cindy’s present is a new tennis ball chucker, not the easiest shape to wrap but if she could see it under the tree she’d probably want it now.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 11:57 am

Garry wants to “half” wrap them so they can see the prize and tear the wrapping off. I think that is asking for trouble, but if he’s willing to clean it up, I say “go for it!”

• Taswegian1957 December 21, 2017 / 3:41 pm

Well they will have fun and if he will clear it up it’s a win for everyone. The dogs get to tear paper, Garry gets to watch them do it and you both get funny photos.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I looked at them. Garry wanted one and all I could think was TOTAL CHAOS as Duke charged trying to get that ball. I said “no thank you,” but I looked up the prices (expensive!), just in case I change my mind.

• Taswegian1957 December 21, 2017 / 3:44 pm

The thing I bought is just a cup with a long handle to make ball throws longer and harder. It’s just a cheap thing from a dollar store type place but Cindy doesn’t know that. It is to replace one she already has which is cracked and that I hope won’t break before Christmas but if it did I’d just get out the new one . Cindy is a dog who would be happy with new tennis ball for Christmas. I have a lousy throwing arm so it helps me too.

• Garry Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:08 pm

Tas, your furry kids are very lucky.

• Taswegian1957 December 21, 2017 / 3:47 pm

Not just mine, my sister’s two dogs and two cats and my friend’s service dog also get presents every year. Cheap ones but the nice thing about pets is they don’t ask for the latest expensive gadget. A ball or a packet of treats and they are good to go. My sister does the same so half the presents we’ll be unwrapping Monday will be theirs.

3. evilsquirrel13 December 21, 2017 / 6:39 am

I barely care about Christmas myself, and certainly don’t buy anything for the cats. And if I did, I’d never take the impractical step of wrapping them. But including pets in the holiday giving traditions is something people do for their own benefit… so I say they should do whatever pleases them. Dogs in particular might enjoy the wrapping paper more than they do what’s inside of it…

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 7:12 am

I buy tried and true toys for them. By this I mean the ones that haven’t been totally destroyed earlier. They actually NEED new ones having gutted the rest. Better toys than the coffee table! And the dogs really appreciate the gifts, which is more than I can say for most people.

• Garry Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:10 pm

Another brilliant Squirrel notion. Gift box for doggies—filled with gift wrap paper and ribbons. Plenty of stuff to shred.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:11 pm

All we need to do is stuff the wrappings in a trash bag. Most toddlers would love it too. You give toddlers gifts and they always want to play with the box.

4. loisajay December 21, 2017 / 8:12 am

I have presents for Parker but they are unwrapped and hidden in my closet. I know if I put them in her stocking, she would smell the catnip and that would be the end of Christmas….

• Marilyn Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:03 pm

If there were dognip, I’m not sure the house would survive! Although, thinking about that, any kind of cooked chicken IS dognip.

• Garry Armstrong December 21, 2017 / 12:11 pm

Ah, the Catnip Christmas! With music from “The Days of Wine & Roses”.

5. swo8 December 21, 2017 / 12:21 pm

Duke is really into to this Santa watch business.