FIVE SPICES ON CHRISTMAS – LAST SHARE OF 2017

Share Your World – December 25, 2017

This is the last “share” for 2017!

2017? Imagine that!

How did we get into this century? The last thing I clearly remember was worrying about the year 2000 and how all the calendars in the universe were going to stop working and our computers wouldn’t work and the world would end in a dizzying crazy of datelessness! Oh the horrors we anticipated. Instead, we got … well … now.

You see, that’s the problem with worry. Not only doesn’t it work, but we always worry about the wrong stuff. It’s a thing. So for all you worriers out there, focus. You need to worry about the things that you need to worry about. Make lists. Try to find THE most worrisome stuff and concentrate on that.

Worry is bad. Worrying about the wrong stuff is even worse!

What caring thing are you going to do for yourself today?

I’m not even getting out of my warm flannel nightgown and bathrobe. I’m staying cozy and comfortable and doing not one single thing that is required of me today.

List at least five of your favorite spices? (excluding salt and pepper)

Spice – favorites

Garlic, Z’atar, Thyme, Basil, Chili powder, Ginger

What can you always be found with?

I am really not sure what that means. Like … my camera? You may find me without it because I definitely don’t sleep with my camera, but otherwise, I am never far from a camera.

My favorite!

Or more accurately, a lot of cameras. Because you just never know where the next picture will come from!

What inspired you or what did you appreciate this past week?

The town looked very pretty and very New England in the winter. And for a pre-Christmas week, it was pretty quite and rather … peaceful. Overall, not bad at all. I think maybe we have really passed the frenzy and moved to a more comfortable place in our world where holidays come and go without the insanity that used to be part of them.

I feel a little bit like an alien (as from space-type-alien) visitor, watching earth creatures and seeing them scurry around, trying to do whatever they do … while I take notes!

22 thoughts on “FIVE SPICES ON CHRISTMAS – LAST SHARE OF 2017

• Garry Armstrong December 25, 2017 / 2:54 pm

I enjoyed our family Christmas Eve dinner. It was low key, delicious food (THANK YOU, Marilyn!), enjoyable company and minus Drama.

Personally, it’s been a blah holiday season for me — but hearing from friends who are lonely — makes me grateful to have Marilyn and our small family of 2 leg and 4 leg kids around us.

1. Willow December 25, 2017 / 2:18 pm

I had to look up Z’atar, but it looks yummy. Have a good day!

• Marilyn Armstrong December 25, 2017 / 2:23 pm

It’s a middle eastern spice … like five different ones and it’s good on SO many things. I have to buy it on Amazon, but if you have a middle eastern grocery anywhere, they will definitely have it. Great on eggs, too.

2. Covert Novelist December 25, 2017 / 3:37 pm

I made out like a bandit. I too, haven’t left my pj’s. They are too comfy today. We had a houseful last night with our big dinner, and today is left-overs and munchies so no one has to cook Christmas Day, just enjoy. Which we are! hehe

• Marilyn Armstrong December 25, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Yup. Leftovers and munchies here too. Offered to cook, but Garry wants more lamb stew, so lamb stew it is.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 25, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Well, it was good and it was EASY, which I needed this evening. I don’t cook for a lot of people very often these days. I used to be able to cook for a mob without even thinking about it and now it’s a lot more complicated. Amazing how times change.

• Covert Novelist December 25, 2017 / 11:03 pm

I’m the same. My daughter does the coming now. I clean the veggies and cut them and prepare the appts. That’s the limit of my input these days.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 12:02 am

Mostly, my son does it, but for some reason, Christmas Eve falls to me.

• Covert Novelist December 26, 2017 / 12:26 am

Ah, I c. I just noticed it said coming instead of cooking ha ha. New Years has typically been something my son a nd I share together. A glad off wine and a special meal to see the new tear in. It lives forever in my heart as something special. I always felt Christmas was for the kids more so than adults and New years is for adults. At least that’s how we spend it.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 12:49 am

We stopped going out for New Year’s after we moved out of Boston. There’s nothing to do out here anyway and I lost my enthusiasm for night walks to see the ice sculptures.

Christmas really IS for kids and since my granddaughter became rather adult, the closest we have to kids are the dogs.

• Covert Novelist December 26, 2017 / 2:33 am

I understand that for sure. I wander the net looking for ice sculptures as I love them so.

• Garry Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Your lamb stew is DEEE-lish-shus.

3. angloswiss December 25, 2017 / 5:14 pm

And there we are again together with our chilli and cameras and watching everyone running in all directions sitting in our golden oldie relax dress and being glad to be a spectator πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 12:41 pm

And,one more time, Sterling Holloway sings “When you come to the end of a perfect Day” in “Remember The Night”, one of my favorite “holiday” movies.

4. Cee Neuner December 26, 2017 / 12:43 pm

I forgot ginger on my list. Thanks for reminding me.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 12:51 pm

I almost forgot it too, but when I went to the kitchen to take picture, it was in the center of the stovetop. A clear reminder!

5. c2avilez December 27, 2017 / 10:33 am

I laughed at your comment that you are like an observer of earth creatures. I feel that way many times. When we were at the national parks with everyone else on earth, all I could think was ANTS as crowds flowed across beautiful, expansive natural spaces. (But doesn’t that make me an ant, too? Not in my mind. Haha.)

What is Z’atar and how do you use it?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 27, 2017 / 11:37 am

Z’atar is a mix of spices used for a lot of stuff in the middle east, including as a topping for hot, fresh bread — usually sesame bread which Arab bakeries make early in the morning for breakfast. It’s made from oregano, basil, thyme, and savory. It is often mixed with olive oil and spread on bread, sometimes at the table, other times spread on the bread which are then baked. Za’atar also serves as a seasoning to sprinkle on vegetables, salads, meatballs or kebabs. And eggs. I use it on chicken and shrimp, too.