THE BEST OF 2017 – ONE OR TWO FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHS

THURSDAY’S SPECIAL: MY BEST PHOTO IN 2017

Talk about a daunting challenge. My best picture for 2017! I think maybe I need to look for my favorite because I’m not sure what “best” would really be. Even “favorite” is pretty daunting. I know which was the most popular, but best?

I couldn’t do it. I got it down to two, but I apologize because I just couldn’t decide.

This first one is a favorite because it is the road on which we live with the sun going down. It probably isn’t “best” because it wasn’t taken with one of my better lenses and was a “grabbed” shot, less than half a mile from home. Taken mid January 2017.

But this final one is a picture I’ve taken almost every year for the past ten years. This particular tree is a sugar maple and on a good year turns completely scarlet. This year, it didn’t turn red, but pumpkin orange. In its own way, it is nearly perfect because it is exactly what I wanted.

October 11, 2017

GARRY’S PHOTOGRAPHS – MY FAVORITE AMONG HIS PHOTOGRAPHS

This is my favorite among Garry’s pictures. It is as good an autumn shot of the Blackstone Canal as I’ve seen.

Photo: Garry Armstrong

jupiter najnajnoviji

31 thoughts on “THE BEST OF 2017 – ONE OR TWO FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHS

1. omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 12:20 am

Damnit! I like all three. Garry impresses me as to how his “eye” has matured over time. Truth be told there are several of yours that I have liked over the years and I have a folder labeled “Marilyn & Garry’s.” So, best this year may not hold a candle to some great ones you’ve taken in the past.., but, of course, we’re not talking about the past, are we?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 12:24 am

I was thinking that also, that some of my past pictures were better … but honestly, it’s hard for me to remember the pictures. I had to go through the albums, month by month. Garry’s was easier because I just love that picture. It may not be HIS favorite, but it is mine. I also think some of my black & white pictures are probably more artistic and a couple have been really popular, but I had to go by my personal favorites because otherwise, I got lost 🙂

• omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 12:33 am

Nextime we see each other I will drag out that folder for you to look over. It’s often easier to pick something from what others have chosen from your efforts.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 9:15 am

It would also be really interesting. I know what is popular because I have stats, but those are often not MY favorites.

• omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Always interesting to see how other’s opinions rack up against what you see as your best…?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 2:54 pm

That’s true of all art, I suppose. It’s certainly true with writing too.

• Garry Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 10:01 am

Yes, a daunting challenge. I like your choices.

2. lwbut December 28, 2017 / 12:40 am

Wonderful photos guys! 🙂

Definitely not an easy decision to pick a favourite but my preference would be the Sunset for that ‘Serendipitous’ touch! 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 12:53 am

It wins on spectacular if not perfect focus and processing 🙂 But I love the other one, too because it came out exactly the way I intended — and that is such a rarity.

3. evilsquirrel13 December 28, 2017 / 3:20 am

Those are calendar quality photos… which reminds me that I need to pick up a calendar before that new year starts. I’m probably the only person left who still uses wall calendars to keep track of appointments…

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 9:13 am

Nope. We have at least two — one in Garry’s office and a big one in the kitchen. If I don’t have a calendar, I don’t know what day it is without looking at the computer and sometimes (gads!) the computer is off!

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 9:14 am

Thanks. No, it isn’t, especially because “best” and “favorite” are often surprisingly different. Even favorite and most popular are different … and then there’s the whole black & white bunch that are also favorites — comparing them is truly apples and pineapples 🙂 But it certainly is fun trying!

4. DailyMusings December 28, 2017 / 5:37 am

Such a challenge to pick a favorite- find a favorite! I do love your first one too

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 9:11 am

I really like both of them, for different reasons.The first because I can never repeat it and the second because I CAN repeat it 😀

• Garry Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 10:03 am

Huh?

5. Paula December 28, 2017 / 6:44 am

This has made me smile. It reminded me how much I love your photography, and how much having you in my blog-sphere has enriched my life. Thank you, Marilyn. May 2018 be kind to you and Garry! xx

• Garry Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 10:04 am

I’ll toast that thought.

6. swo8 December 28, 2017 / 10:27 am

I don’t know how you could choose, there are so many great photos to pick from.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 10:40 am

I went through the year’s folders and I started narrowing it down — but entirely based on how I felt about them. I’m not sure there is another way and if I’d had a real choice, it would have been at least a handful of favorites. I have favorites that aren’t great pictures. I just LIKE them 🙂

• omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 2:25 pm

Me too.., and that’s why I refrain from asking people which ones they like best. Invariably their choices will be different. Hopefully, they will ask me why I like something.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 1:18 pm

I can never get pictures of small animals. They always run before I click the shutter. I don’t even try anymore. I am simply too slow … or they are too fast. Both?

• omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 2:27 pm

That’s why wildlife photogs use long lenses.., they can get close without spooking the subject…

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 2:52 pm

It isn’t even that. I’m simply too slow. I spend too much time framing the photo instead of just shooting. It’s a really bad habit, but I haven’t been able to break it.

• omniclassic December 28, 2017 / 3:13 pm

I’ve found that “Continuous Autofocus” helps by, at least, eliminating having to mess with that function. From there on its aim and shoot…

7. Rebel Girl December 28, 2017 / 11:31 pm

Great choices. I bet you had so many to pick from!

• Marilyn Armstrong December 28, 2017 / 11:36 pm

Not as many as I expected, once I got down to choosing. It ended up with a handful. I was surprised, but other years, I have had a LOT more. I didn’t shoot nearly as much this year as I have in other years.