FINALLY, THE LONG SHADOWY DAYS OF 2017 DRAW TO AN END

This year has felt like two years, at least on a national and political level. Frankly exhausting. If this were a person’s life, I would be counseling them to try to put a lot less drama in their lives. This much angst isn’t good for anyone, much less a country.

But aside from the painful political mess, it has been a pretty good year. No one got sick and despite everything, the house is still standing. We are significantly poorer, but that is the way our cookie crumbled. I can hope the next will be better, but I’m not holding my breath.

We’re going to eat meatloaf, our best “comfort food” and maybe I’ll go wild and also make mashed potatoes. Double whammy in the comfort food department! We’ll watch the big shiny ball come down in Times Square, kiss each other and load a movie into the DVD player.

May you all have a wonderful evening, whether you’re partying or dressing in PJs and snuggling up. If you live up north, snuggling sound pretty good to me! It’s a cold winter’s night!

29 thoughts on “FINALLY, THE LONG SHADOWY DAYS OF 2017 DRAW TO AN END

1. swo8 December 31, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Sounds like a great New Year’s Eve to me.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2017 / 2:36 pm

I remember when we used to go out to see the First Night stuff in Boston. What I ALSO remember is being SO COLD, all I could think about was hot chocolate and a heating pad on my feet! There is nothing that could persuade me to do that now!

• swo8 December 31, 2017 / 3:00 pm

We did that too when we lived in Toronto. They’ve cut all celebrations short this year because of the extreme cold.

2. Rebel Girl December 31, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Happy New Years to you and Garry. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are always a hit in this house. We are snuggling up in PJs and watching a movie too.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Sounds like our version of the best New Year. I think we’ve picked “Trading Places.” Something to make us laugh. But we might change our minds. You never know. OR make it a double header!

3. fromsandyknob December 31, 2017 / 3:32 pm

May 2018 be a peaceful year for all….. as much as possible. Peace!

4. Fandango December 31, 2017 / 4:09 pm

Happy New Year to you and Garry.

5. dancingpalmtrees December 31, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Happy New Year!! Blessed, Safe, Healthy and Prosperous 2018 from my family to yours!! Woof! Woof to your doggies! Meows from my cat Sylvester!!

• dancingpalmtrees December 31, 2017 / 5:03 pm

πŸΆπŸ•πŸ©πŸ±πŸˆπŸ˜»πŸ˜ΈπŸ˜ΊπŸ˜πŸ˜€πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

6. Martha Kennedy December 31, 2017 / 5:02 pm

I’m going to hang out with my bi-species family members and hope Dusty doesn’t freak out too much when the fireworks come. I wish you and Garry a lovely evening and a Happy New Year.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2017 / 6:58 pm

It is SO cold here, no one is doing anything. Everyone is home, keeping warm. I think this the hot chicken soup of New Years’ eves πŸ™‚ A lovely evening to you, too.

7. Taswegian1957 December 31, 2017 / 6:13 pm

A very quiet new year in my neighbourhood, I think everyone was either out or went to bed early. My sister and I sat up and watched music videos from the eighties while pigging out on Christmas cake, shortbread and chocolate.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2017 / 6:57 pm

It’s too cold here to do much of anything. It’s about 8 degrees (farenheit) and the temps are dropping, so no one is going anywhere!

8. Nanou December 31, 2017 / 6:43 pm

Best wishes from France for the new year !

9. Globug December 31, 2017 / 6:48 pm

May the new year bring you and your family much joy!

10. Rich Paschall December 31, 2017 / 9:37 pm

With another subzero night for us, I see no real reason to go out.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 31, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Everyone I know is staying home … or at least, all of us up north. We’ve been below zero every night for almost a week.

• Rich Paschall January 1, 2018 / 7:39 pm

I drove John to a job at night. It was already 4 degrees then and -8 by morning.

11. judyt54 January 1, 2018 / 10:35 am

a few insane neighbors the next road over made a half-hearted attempt at fireworks around 10 PM, but at -15 deg. I suspect there wasnt much enthusiasm for frostbite OR fireworks. I spent the night tending stoves every three hours, and nursing a cold (thank you, to all the little children at Christmas) and he spent the night sleeping.
    We do know how to party hard in the country, yessir.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 1, 2018 / 12:01 pm

We made it to midnight. Sometimes, we don’t! It is supposed to get colder today. How cold IS it? Well, for you and I, zeroish seems probable. A little warming in Boston and down along the coast, but inland. Bitter. Glad we got oil. Glad the boiler is working.

12. fromsandyknob January 1, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Been below zero all day here in Minnesota – and we are in the bottom third of the state!