SHARING MY WORLD – A NEW YEAR!

And so we close the book and flip the calendar’s page to 2018. I hope this one is better than the last couple of years, but if not, I sure hope I hang on to my sense of humor!

Share Your World – January 1, 2018

What one word describes you best?

Communicative.

As a talker, and a writer, and even as a thinker, I’m always looking for answers and sometimes, looking just as hard for questions.

What is set as the background on your computer?

A man climbing up a huge rock mountain. But I change backgrounds often. I prefer simple backgrounds. I can’t work on a busy surface. I lose my applications widgets in the complexities of pictures.

If you have been to a foreign country, name those to which you have been?

Canada, England, Wales, Ireland and Israel for longer than a day or two. Two weeks in St. Martin (Caribbean) and a couple of days in Nassau. One day in Mexico, two days in Haiti, one glorious day in Jamaica and I have always wanted to go back.

Cong

I was married in England — the guy was English and London was his home town. Garry and I honeymooned in Ireland because he really loved Ireland and had been there a bunch of times on his own.

I spent a fair amount of time in Montreal because my father and his wife lived there. I really liked Montreal. Pity I didn’t like my father. Or his wife.

Somewhere in Ireland

And I lived in Israel for most of the 1980s.

What inspired you or what did you appreciate this past week?

This week has been so busy I haven’t actually noticed anything except the cold.

It really is very cold. It isn’t unusual for the weather to get extremely cold this time of year, but it rarely lasts this long.

Usually, it’s a couple of days and then the thermometer goes up a bit. Such a deep freeze lasting this long is so rare if it lasts another couple of days, it will break a few weather records.

15 thoughts on “SHARING MY WORLD – A NEW YEAR!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 1:00 am

Cold and heavy. You have to be careful. They fall and people get seriously injured. We try to prevent them from forming, but when the weather is right, there’s not much to be done about it. Really hard on the roof and gutters.

• Sue Vincent January 2, 2018 / 1:14 am

I can imagine…we seldom get them like that here, except in the countryside. We used to, in the days before central heating up in Yorkshire, but not so much now.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 1:36 am

Here, it’s a matter of how much snow is on the roof. We’ve had some very heavy snow years recently, so it melts, then freezes, melts and freezes. Many houses are simply covered with ice dams. They are pretty … but they are also dangerous and bad for the roof. But this is a cold, snowy area. Some things just come with the territory. Like huge icicles πŸ™‚

• Sue Vincent January 2, 2018 / 1:44 am

I love to see them…but remeber living with them as not being all too great… πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 4:04 am

A lot of damage and they injured a lot of people I know. When a 300 pound block of ice detaches from the roof and knocks you down, you stay down.

1. angloswiss January 2, 2018 / 1:15 am

Cold also has its advantages: less caterpillars in Summer and other unwanted insects.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 4:06 am

Except for the mice. We get a lot of mice trying to find a warm place and I wouldn’t mind, but they make a terrible mess.

2. swo8 January 2, 2018 / 12:16 pm

What ever happened to Global Warming when we needed it?

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 2:28 pm

It’s just climate change. It’s only warming around the poles where the ice caps are, specifically, the north pole where the starving polar bears live.

3. Cee Neuner January 2, 2018 / 2:44 pm

I only have one thing to say. I’m not in a deep freeze. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Sorry about your cold weather.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 2, 2018 / 4:10 pm

You are lucky. It’s unpleasant for people with lungs that don’t like icy cold. But it will pass. And probably it will then snow. Because like it or not, it’s winter.

4. evilsquirrel13 January 2, 2018 / 3:39 pm

I noticed this morning that the icicles I took the picture of on Christmas day (as well as the “ice sculpture” below them) are still there! I don’t think it’s been above freezing since a few days before Xmas… and slowly but surely got colder right up to New Years. But a number in the 30’s and even (gasp!) 40’s is apparently in the forecast. A January thaw would be nice right about now…