NATIONAL SCIENCE FICTION DAY – JODI TAYLOR AND THE CHRONICLE OF ST. MARY’S

Yesterday, January 2, 2018, was NATIONAL SCIENCE FICTION DAY

It was another day too, including National Cream Puff day, but I’m much more interested in science fiction. So I’d like to talk about Jodi Taylor, author of a series called “The Chronicles of St Mary’s,” a school which isn’t a school where all the historians are time travelers. Never have I found time travel so much fun as I have found in all of Jodi Taylor’s books.

Just One Damned Thing After Another cover art
Book 1

There have been nine full length books and a bunch of short stories too, many of which are free. All of them also available as audiobooks. It’s actually less expensive to buy the Amazon Kindle version and get the audiobook for a couple of dollars than to buy the audiobook by itself, by the way. But I don’t care: I’d have bought them full price too.

The Long and the Short of It cover art
Book 9

The books are funny. Not in a slapstick, stupid way, but with intelligence and lots of historic detail. I’ve learned a lot of history from these books. Lots of cool details I never read in more “serious” history books. And oh how I have laughed!

It’s hard to find good science fiction that’s funny without being dumb, but this is it. There’s also drama and violence, a bit of sex and sometimes, death. But mostly, the books are a great deal of fun. Extremely British, witty, and smart. AND well researched. If you like time travel, you cannot go wrong with any of these. They are great.

They are all available from Amazon and pretty much on every continent and also on Audible.com. Super highly recommended!

13 thoughts on “NATIONAL SCIENCE FICTION DAY – JODI TAYLOR AND THE CHRONICLE OF ST. MARY’S

1. angloswiss January 3, 2018 / 12:44 am

Another one on my list of books to read. I quite like sci fi if it doesn’t get too technical

• Marilyn Armstrong January 3, 2018 / 12:46 am

This isn’t at all technical. It’s history and humor. Very British, too. This is one of those books where ALL problems can be solved with a cup of tea 🙂

• Garry Armstrong January 3, 2018 / 11:32 am

I like that all problems are solved with a cuppa. So neat and tidy.

• swo8 January 3, 2018 / 12:43 pm

I like problems like that – problems that are resolved with a cup of tea.

2. Taswegian1957 January 3, 2018 / 1:01 am

Thanks Marilyn. I downloaded the first book, on special for 99c to see how I like them.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 3, 2018 / 1:14 am

This is a case of what’s not to like 🙂 All the Kindle books are very inexpensive. I wish there were more of them.

3. swo8 January 3, 2018 / 12:44 pm

Sorry Garry I only noticed i copied your comment after I’d written mine.