Military morality: the problem of scruples.

An important article. Worth the time to read.

SeanMunger.com

One of the blogs I read, day in and day out, is Padre Steve’s. Steve is a military chaplain with 30+ years experience who has served in Iraq and knows the real face of war inside and out. He is also a historian who has studied and written extensively on Germany in the Weimar and Nazi periods, especially about its military establishment. Very often–in fact, in almost every article–Padre Steve sounds a clear historical warning that the United States is going down exactly the same road of totalitarianism that Germany experienced in the 1920s and 1930s. Steve appears to be a voice in the wilderness, sounding a siren that few are listening to, day after day, week after week.
Well, I am listening. This post about military morality and its service to authoritarian regimes is not much different than what Steve constantly writes about–but I wouldn’t be reblogging it…

View original post 3,005 more words

8 thoughts on “Military morality: the problem of scruples.

1. swo8 January 5, 2018 / 1:59 pm

Oh I went there and read it…….very thought provoking.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 2:06 pm

It is. Kind of what I already knew, with more details. But for the non-historians, it’s important to understand that humanity has walked these paths before and it didn’t work out well.

• swo8 January 5, 2018 / 2:09 pm

We’ve been doing this since the beginning of time. Time to stand up and say – NO MORE.
        NEVER AGAIN.

• swo8 January 5, 2018 / 2:44 pm

I keep thinking about the song “Mother’s Don’t Let Your Sons Go to War” In this day and age it would include daughters too.

• swo8 January 5, 2018 / 2:47 pm

If they couldn’t find an army they’d have a problem. However there are the drones and they are real problem.

2. Noel Hartem January 6, 2018 / 4:30 pm

Having a daughter in the military, her choice, I fear more now then ever that another war is on its way