PICK A WORD – PAULA’S FIRST PHOTO CHALLENGE FOR 2018

THURSDAY’S SPECIAL: PICK A WORD IN JANUARY – Y3

Paula’s first post in 2018 is a “Pick a Word” challenge this year. No easy words here. I had to look up three out of five. I’m good on four out of five, but “auricomous” which means “yellow-haired” or probably, in our language blond? I’m not sure I have any blonds in my files. Oops on that one. Otherwise, we’re pretty good to go.

Definitions:

Candescent – Glowing, as by fire (like incandescent, missing and “in”).
Algid – Cold. Very cold. Tomorrow we’re expecting around a foot of snow. Got that.
Angular – Something with angles. Used photographically to me it means finding an angle in the picture that will draw the viewer’s eyes into the image.
Auricomous – Yellow-haired. Nope. No blondes around here, but maybe a blonde dog.
Festive – Having just finished Christmas, I think I’ve got that one nailed.

Candescent
Algid – Snowy and cold
Angular fence!
A golden retriever is as yellow as I can get!
Auricomous – A golden retriever is as yellow as I can get!
Festive on the commons!

jupiter najnajnoviji

22 thoughts on “PICK A WORD – PAULA’S FIRST PHOTO CHALLENGE FOR 2018

1. eloquentparadise January 5, 2018 / 1:51 am

I like how you’ve used pictures to give perspective to the words.

2. lwbut January 5, 2018 / 2:47 am

As Auricomous is derived from the latin root Aurum, meaning gold, not yellow, i’d say you got it spot on with the golden retriever! 😉

Glad you pointed out the difference between in candescence and incandescence? 😉 I can save myself 2 consonants next time i use the larger word! 😉

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I’m really glad the retriever made the cut since it was the ONLY picture I had that might work! We really have a shortage of blondes around here — canine and human.

• lwbut January 6, 2018 / 1:55 am

🙂 You could pass for blonde from your avatar! 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 2:11 pm

This is as cold a winter as I ever remember, but at least we don’t have to be outside in it more than minimally. If we were still working, I shudder to think …

3. bushboy January 5, 2018 / 5:18 am

Love the fence. Great selection to match the words 🙂

• bushboy January 5, 2018 / 3:18 pm

Excellent. Our fences are just wooden posts and wire or three slabs of wood between posts. I should do a fence blog.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 10:30 pm

That is THE basic country fence. This one was in Peacham and I have no idea why they built it like that, but it was very cool.

4. DailyMusings January 5, 2018 / 6:53 am

Oh that snow- you must be inundated- we got close to 8 inches yesterday. I almost chose a golden retriever too- but remembered the blond child I had seen last summer and changed it 🙂 Great minds, you know. Stay warm- it’s 9 here this morning, real feel -10 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 2:13 pm

We got more than a foot. I don’t know how much. Officially, about 17 inches, but it could be more or less because it doesn’t fall evenly throughout the area. I had been hoping for less. I’m less worried about the driveway — which is currently impassable — but more the roof. It’s going to be an ugly year for ice dams.

5. Paula January 5, 2018 / 8:11 am

That’s just the right shade of “auricomous” and a perfect species if you ask me. I’d rather see him than some gorgeous human blond 😀 That’s beautifully photographed snow, which is not easy, and your candles are lovely. I hope I did not give you too much headache. You did splendidly and I am so happy to have your entry, Marilyn. xo

• Marilyn Armstrong January 5, 2018 / 2:16 pm

I got very good at snow after a couple of years of living here in the Siberian tundra of New England. Use a good quality but not superfast lens and focus on the snow, then bring up the dark parts. You can bring up the dark areas, but you can’t do anything with burnt out sections.

I have fun with these puzzles. The blonde was a problem until I remember I had a few pictures of other people’s golden retrievers somewhere in my archives … and I actually FOUND one (that’s the real miracle!).

It’s very cold here. This is really early in the season and I’m hoping the whole winter isn’t like this. It’s not going to be an easy one, this time.

6. lwbut January 5, 2018 / 9:01 am

errr.. make that a consonant and a vowel! 😀

7. swo8 January 5, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Auricomous – Golden retriever what a lovely dog. Reminds me of my younger son’s dog, Buddy. He was a beauty and such a good natured dog too.

• swo8 January 5, 2018 / 2:18 pm

That’s true, Buddy always left a cloud of hair behind.