WINSOME IS AS WINSOME DOES

Winsome. When I was editor of the Doubleday Romance Library … oh so long ago! … this was a great word especially when describing the attributes of a young woman in one of the Gothic romances.

Winsome, implying lovely, gracious, charming, and possibly attractive in a non-gaudy, un-flashy way.

So I was trying to think of what in my world might be winsome these days. Bonnie? Maybe? Dogs are always a bit winsome, at least by personality if not by visage. All those adorable things they do are kind of winsome-ish. Okay, not when Duke drags a tree branch in through the dog door and proceeds to imitate a wood-chipper … but when he plays peek-a-boo with his paws, that’s ridiculously adorable.

Photo: Garry Armstrong – At home with dogs

Less adorable when he take those same paws and whacks them hard on my keyboard. I had to pry up a key this morning and one of these days, he’s going to take the ship down with him. Forgive the digression.

I read the beginning of “Fire and Fury: Inside the White House” by Michael Fuller last night. I couldn’t help myself. After Tom Curley’s review of it today on Serendipity, my curiosity went into overdrive. One of the brilliant things about electronic books — audio and other — is that you get them instantly.

Want the book?Before you take your finger off the “buy” button, it’s in your library. It may absorb my time today. Just a warning. I’m in the middle of James Lee Burke’s (last?) book about Dave Robicheaux titled “Robicheaux,” and I want to read this one … and this is the month I’m getting a bunch of audiobooks for review, so it will be my “not-so-available” month.

My winsome dogs will smile at you, though.

FYI for anyone who is following the snow, the cold, and the bank: the bank gave us all the money back. The issue isn’t settled, but they gave us the money anyway. Nice! Thank you BOA. You done good.

The plow was here this morning, so we have a driveway. Paying the guy is going to be an interesting tale because as I have previously observed, free is not the way to go in the snow in New England. Unless YOU own the plow, you have to pay someone. Let us hope for less snow.

Unless there’s such as thing as “self-shoveling” snow? Is there an app for that?

43 thoughts on “WINSOME IS AS WINSOME DOES

1. Garry Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 1:09 pm

I’ll stick to our furry kids here and ignore the other (2 leg animals). Bonnie is almost always winsome. She’s adorable. The Princess. Duke is winsome in the evening — after he has calmed down and behaves like a pet. Gibbs? I don’t think he likes being called winsome. He’s stalwart!

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 11:35 am

Bette, how’s the weather up your way?

• Bette A. Stevens January 7, 2018 / 1:34 pm

BITTER COLD… We have about 30 inches of snow on the ground so far. I think you folks got hit worse than we did by the last blizzard. We’ve still got bitter winds blowing the stuff around…the fields look like white sand dunes. Supposed to have a thaw soon, but I’d prefer not if the thaw means rain. Looking forward to SPRING!

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 2:04 pm

Bette, OMG! Keep thyself warm.

HUGS!

2. swo8 January 6, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Bonnie is definitely winsome but Duke is a scaly wag.

3. Covert Novelist January 6, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I remember reading when I was a pre-teen and teen and winsome was the word of the day in all kinds of novels. I like winsome pooches though πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 2:51 pm

When I was editing romance novels at Doubleday, “winsome” was The Word for any Gothic heroine and occasionally, her beau.

• Covert Novelist January 6, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I remember reading Doubleday as a kid and I certainly remember “winsome” as the word of the day haha how time flies. I remember reading thousands of gothic as well as romance novels and “era” novels…those were the days hey?

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 4:38 pm

Well, I was the original “Jennifer Robins” who was the editor. I wrote all the flap copy and advertising copy for the club. When I left, they had to get a new editor because no one could copy my style. I don’t know why. It was pretty simple.

• Covert Novelist January 6, 2018 / 5:32 pm

Must have been unique in outlook. You probably cut to the heart of the matter in ways others couldn’t. πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 5:44 pm

I think I just wrote really simply. It’s why I was so good at technical writing. I don’t really have a style at all. Maybe “no style” is very hard to copy.

• Covert Novelist January 6, 2018 / 6:35 pm

Maybe. But technical has it’s place, definitely. How is the reading going

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 7:04 pm

I am still deep into “Robicheaux.” I figure another day, at most, two. Then “Fire and Fury.”

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 11:33 pm

Usually. If I remember. This one I will because everyone is very curious about it.

• Covert Novelist January 7, 2018 / 2:23 am

I find that fascinating because I would have top take time and divorce myself from the enjoyment of the read to be logical.

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 11:17 am

winsome is what they sold in old Hollywood. I bought it iike many folks. When I met many of the winsome stars in later years, they were anything but winsome. A loss of innocence.

• Covert Novelist January 7, 2018 / 11:42 am

Yes, I can well imagine it. I believe the word of the day today is “Diva” of which there seem to be so many! smirk smirk

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 12:51 pm

Yes, DIVA is the word today. So damn annoying. Met some when Marilyn and I were doing movie extra work in recent years. So much DIVA!

• Covert Novelist January 7, 2018 / 2:27 pm

A lot of it gets reported these days too as well as the stars that are an absolute nightmare to work with. I find them ridiculous tbh.

• Covert Novelist January 7, 2018 / 11:44 am

I’ve met a few stars over the years (many visited Port Hardy) I was shocked at how “unwinsome” some of them were. Antzy, ignorant, stuck on themselves. There were a few that were gracious…only a few though.

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 12:52 pm

Covert, they really believe their publicity. Some of my on camera colleagues were the same way. We laughed at them. Don’t think they noticed.

4. Rebel Girl January 6, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I can’t wait to hear what you have to say on the book. One day there will be an APP for snow removal. Probably not in our time though.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 3:21 pm

I’m finishing James Lee Burke’s book first because I’m in the middle of it and it’s too good to let go. This will be next, probably before the weekend is out. I don’t know if Garry will be able to read it. News upsets him these days.

There should be an APP for cleaning snow. Just press the link on your smart phone.

• Garry Armstrong January 7, 2018 / 11:18 am

An app for snow removal? AWE-some!

5. Taswegian1957 January 6, 2018 / 7:53 pm

I’m glad to hear that the bank did the right thing and that you have been plowed. Probably a good time to be staying home to read though. You don’t hear winsome much any more but it was a favourite description in romance novels at one time. I don’t think many current heroines could be described as winsome even in Mills and Boon romances. They are more feisty now I think. All baby animals are winsome. Gibbs, well I think the original Gibbs would head slap you if you suggested that HE was winsome.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2018 / 9:04 pm

He might actually shoot you. Winsome indeed.

Yes, the bank did the right thing and we got plowed. And Monday it’s supposed to warm up, so Ill be able to get outside and breathe too. Now, if ONLY it would rain a little money!

• Garry Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 1:24 pm

Gibbs doesn’t like any of that sappy winsome stuff. He’s tough–and can take it!

6. fromsandyknob January 8, 2018 / 12:28 am

Have shoveled enough of that stuff in my lifetime, but this year, we’ve only been blessed with a very few inches, But some very cold weather. worries me a bit.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 12:42 am

This has been the coldest period in our recorded weather history. Longest low temperatures AND the lowest temperatures. It’s supposed to start warming tomorrow. YAY!

• Garry Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 12:56 pm

Yes, Sandy. The longer it stays – the worse the scenario for all of us.