WHICH WAY IN A BLIZZARD – GARRY ARMSTRONG

Cee’s Which Way Photo Challenge – January 5, 2018

Aldrich Street with a blizzard blowing

I was out there in the wind and weather yesterday. It was cold, much colder than the air usually is during storms.

Woods in winter

It was also windy, the tall oak trees blowing like reeds in the storm. These are tall, heavy red oaks, so if one of them falls, it will be awhile before the lights come back on. It was snowing hard and accumulating faster than it was supposed to.

Duke on the shoveled walkway

I got some pictures of the roads, driveway, and walks, all covered in snow and ice. The pictures came out better than I expected. My hands were frozen. I could barely feel the shutter release. Five more minutes and I think my hands would have been frozen to the camera.

Duke behind the gate on the day of the blizzard

Marilyn pointed out that there is a reason she wanted weather-proof cameras … and this was it. Everything got wet, but nothing was damaged.

21 thoughts on “WHICH WAY IN A BLIZZARD – GARRY ARMSTRONG

1. angloswiss January 8, 2018 / 12:35 am

Good photos to capture a moment in time. You now need weather proof hands.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 12:40 am

Yes, unfortunately, even gloves aren’t enough in weather that bad It’s supposed to start warming up tomorrow morning. We deserve it. This has been a very long siege of exceptionally bitter weather.

• Garry Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 1:33 pm

Yes, Mrs. Swiss, I need younger, weather-proof hands with nimble fingers.

2. lwbut January 8, 2018 / 3:29 am

If you need a little warming up… yesterday there was a major international cricket event held in Sydney on our Eastern shore, The game runs for 5 full days with over 6 hours play each day.

In the western side of the city where it was played the temperature maxed at 47.3C (117.1 F) !!!

On the pitch itself it reached 50.3C !

I did not see a single snowman! 😉

• Marilyn Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 11:48 am

Actually, that is a bit too hot for me. I’d like a little warm weather without all the burning sun and sweat! Something nicely in the middle.

• lwbut January 8, 2018 / 8:24 pm

It’s too hot for nearly all of us! Yet no thought was given to calling the match off or postponing it!!

They are considering it for the future as it is only likely to get worse and more frequent 😦

In my part of the world i’m happy to report we are having lots of the ‘Goldilocks’ weather. 🙂 I hope you get some of it from my photos!

• Garry Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 1:36 pm

Bob, my maternal Gramps (Barbados Native) regaled me with stories about playing cricket as an Island youngster. Wish he had had pics but my imagination works well.

• lwbut January 9, 2018 / 12:08 am

Barbados has given the game more than it’s fair share of heroes! West Indians are wonderful players in general and had brilliant batters and fiercely fast bowlers – they used to really love the sport ‘back in the day’ 😉

• Marilyn Armstrong January 9, 2018 / 12:31 am

They given a fair shot to baseball, too. Not so much Barbados, but many Caribbean islands. They apparently really love sports. I love their islands!

• lwbut January 9, 2018 / 12:38 am

I guess there would be a few in the Major and Minor Leagues at that! They seem to be naturally gifted Athletes – just look at Usain Bolt for one (amongst many). 🙂

• Garry Armstrong January 9, 2018 / 12:35 pm

Bob, I remember seeing a few cricket matches as a kid on the Islands. St. Thomas, Antigua and Barbados. I didn’t understand much except the young ladies who held up score cards.

• lwbut January 10, 2018 / 1:37 am

It can be a quite confusing game! And frustrating. And even boring some times!

It has new modified forms to make it fit into our modern times (with cheerleaders and the electronic organ music (eyeroll) ) but the old 5 day test matches are still popular here. Particularly a hundred year old grudge match with England – the Old Enemy! 😉

3. jcalberta January 8, 2018 / 10:41 am

I was watching from over here. I can see that in some instances you have ‘whiteouts’. Can’t see anything. I don’t care about work on days like that – life and limb – and my car – are more important.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 11:49 am

We only have had one day of snow that heavy, but not far away, they have had a staggering amount of it. I’m just glad that this time, it WASN’T us. We;ve been there. Many times.

• Garry Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 1:39 pm

You are so right about life, limbs and car. So nice not to have to worry about work anymore during weather like this.

4. swo8 January 8, 2018 / 10:58 am

You captured the Burr of the situation in those photos.

• swo8 January 9, 2018 / 9:10 am

It’s melting as the jack hammers are firing away in my front garden. The basement floor has been dug up already.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 10, 2018 / 2:00 am

I sympathize. We have been there and done that. Not once. Three times. The well. The septic system. The pipes from the house TO the septic system — and this last one was within a week of moving into the house!

• swo8 January 10, 2018 / 8:05 am

That must have been a real shocker. It’s hard enough dealing with this and we’ve been here 14 years.

• Garry Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:27 pm

Melting…..like those mudslides in California. Poor California!