BRIGHT HORIZONS

HORIZON – THE SKY ABOVE THE LINE OF THE EARTH

My favorite horizon is sunrise, but sunset is pretty good too. Anywhere where the sky meets the earth is a horizon. Clear away the buildings and the trees, and there it is.

24 thoughts on “BRIGHT HORIZONS

1. Gordon C. Stewart January 20, 2018 / 12:44 pm

Love these photos, Marilyn. During WWII my mother and I spent the summers at my grandparents’ cottage in Rockport while my father was in the South Pacific. Still my heart’s home to this day.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 12:51 pm

I was told Rockport is the MOST photographed place in the country. Probably because so many artists live there. We were only there for a quick weekend at a friends place, but it isn’t so far that we can’t take a day trip. We used to drive out to Gloucester and Rockport on weekends, grab a boat and go watch the whales cavort. Cape Ann is something special.

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Love the pics. Reminds me of all those Vineyard summers of the past when I always needed a refill.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 12:53 pm

Rockport is special. So is nearby Gloucester. It’s the final word in “rocky New England coast.” I think that was one of the last times I forced myself out of bed at 4 in the morning to catch a sunrise πŸ™‚

• Covert Novelist January 20, 2018 / 3:07 pm

So beautiful. I love sunrise an nd sunset pictures, and horizon pics to o of course. Your pictures are so divine

2. Rebel Girl January 20, 2018 / 1:37 pm

I love them all. The one with the pink rays really stood out to me. So pretty!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 4:04 pm

The great thing was — it really looked like that. This WAS the last time I got up and out for a sunrise. Ogunquit Beach at about 5 in the morning. Surprisingly, there were a lot of people up and around. Runners and walkers and many, many birds — and about a billion mosquitoes. For whom i appeared to be breakfast. Yum.

The colors were amazing. Maybe because it was the fall solstice and we seem to get exceptional colors on both solstices, but the colors were amazing. Around here, I can’t get a clear shot of the horizon because of the trees, but usually I get something pretty in September or March if I can grab the camera fast enough and race out onto the deck. I usually leave a camera on the kitchen counter where I can grab it and race for the door.

• Rebel Girl January 20, 2018 / 7:14 pm

I keep saying I will get up at five in the morning for shots…it hasn’t happened yet.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 7:20 pm

I did it a couple of times and I’m glad I did. Since then, I think about it, then I roll over and go back to sleep.

3. swo8 January 20, 2018 / 3:41 pm

That is torture, Marilyn, oh to walk on those beaches at sunrise or sunset.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 4:06 pm

Wear a LOT of bug repellent! The mosquitoes are ferocious that early in the day! I now keep bug repellent in my camera case.

• swo8 January 20, 2018 / 7:46 pm

I never thought about that. I’ll just dream about it.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 8:11 pm

I just got bitten a lot because I wanted the photographs, but boy, it was hard to hold still. Those northern mosquitoes bite right through your clothing. They are cruel.

• swo8 January 21, 2018 / 10:17 am

Those northern mosquitoes are something else. They seem to know when your hands are busy and you can’t swat them off.

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Leslie, it is torture but exquisite torture. I can smell the midsummer breeze, rippling across the water.

• swo8 January 21, 2018 / 1:31 pm

and the warmth from the sun in a gentle breeze….

4. Donnalee January 20, 2018 / 6:11 pm

Beautiful photos–and I have to say that if I had no other insight sources like science or distance photgraphy, I could see how it does indeed appear that the earth is flat in general.

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 12:57 pm

Encore salutations for getting up for that Rockport sunrise….as I slept.