MIND GAMES – BY ELLIN CURLEY

Why do I remember the name of my fourth grade teacher but can’t remember the name of the new neighbor I’m meeting for the third time this month?

Why do I fall asleep during my favorite TV show but at bedtime my brain won’t shut off for a second?

Why can I rationally know that I can handle something but I still get a knot in my stomach whenever I have to do it? (For me it’s driving around an airport).

Why is it that after I promise not to tell anyone “something”, that “something” keeps popping into my head even when I’m talking to people to whom the “something” would mean nothing?

Why do I get upset with people for doing something I know that I do too? (Like interrupting).

Why do I get totally obsessed with binge watching a TV show but never about writing a novel or working at a soup kitchen?

Why do I keep collecting recipes in a giant folder when I know I’ll never use them? (When I do try a new recipe I go online because who has the time to sort through that giant folder?)

Folders with the recipes I’ve collected over the years

Why can I look for something for 10 minutes and not find it but my husband finds it immediately – where I know I’ve already looked?

Why can I grapple with a problem and fail to find a solution, but hours later, when I’m doing something totally unrelated, the answer just pops into my head?

Why can I “zone out” while driving (you know, you suddenly find yourself way down the road and don’t remember getting there) yet I don’t drive off the road or into the car in front of me?

Why does my snoring husband insist he was “wide awake” when I poked him but you only snore when you are fully asleep?

Why is it that when I learn about a disease or syndrome, suddenly everyone I know knows someone who has it?

Why can I get sick but when I go to see the doctor, my symptoms disappear?

Why can I get a 1960’s song stuck in my head for days but not a single password has ever stayed in my brain for that long?

PLEASE COME UP WITH SOME OF YOUR OWN AND SHARE THEM WITH ME!

20 thoughts on “MIND GAMES – BY ELLIN CURLEY

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 12:59 pm

These mind games drive me bonkers. The quintessential trivial pursuit.

1. Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2018 / 12:35 am

Why do ALL men say “I was awake” when they were snoring? Is there something unmanly about admitting you were asleep? I never understood that.

• Ellin Curley January 20, 2018 / 4:03 pm

I think it’s that they last remember being awake and not snoring, so that’s what they think is reality. They don’t seem to understand the concept of falling asleep and losing consciousness.

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Well, we THOUGHT we were awake. Snoring? Not me! Must be the dogs.

2. swo8 January 20, 2018 / 10:23 am

Ellin, I’m still dealing with a lonely blue sock that hasn’t got a mate from the last laundry I did.

• Ellin Curley January 20, 2018 / 4:05 pm

Only one? I have so many I have to start another bag of single socks! And one of my favorite socks, that I got at Disneyworld, is missing its mate. So sad. It’s patterned so I can’t wear it with a similar colored sock and pass them off as a pair. And I was so careful not to lose that one!

• Garry Armstrong January 21, 2018 / 1:01 pm

Only the lonely…..

• Garry Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 11:55 am

they call him Mr. Lonely….

• swo8 January 22, 2018 / 1:00 pm

I’m mister lonely sock. Funny thing is I don’t remember having a pair of blue socks. It must be one of our sons.

• Ellin Curley January 20, 2018 / 4:06 pm

Thanks! It’s nice to know that other people share my odd thoughts. That means I’m not crazy or that I’m not alone in my craziness! Either way, I’m good.

• Rebel Girl January 20, 2018 / 7:13 pm

LOL! You could have taken the words right out of my mouth!

• Garry Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 11:57 am

Ellin, hold on. We haven’t reached a verdict on you, yet. Got a bolo out on my nice Scottie socks. They’re M.I.A.

3. fkogbe January 21, 2018 / 5:53 am

Just when I thought I was alone in this mind games, here you are sharing everything I’ve ever had.

4. queenofdanile January 21, 2018 / 9:38 am

Drat! I thought you were gonna answer the question, not just ask it. 😀

• Garry Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 11:55 am