100 YEARS OF HOT DOGS IN WORCESTER

GEORGE’S CONEY ISLAND HOT DOGS, WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS

It’s an old place, built 100 years ago in 1918. It’s got the biggest neon sign in Massachusetts and for the first time in memory, probably because the place is 100 years old this month, it has made the news. It’s a fun place to go for lunch and while it might not be the best frankfurters on earth (I still think that goes to Nathan’s in the real Coney island), they’re still good to eat. Also, the ambiance is fantastic and Garry — our hot dog maven — says the dogs more than good enough. He should know. They are his favorite all-American food!

Everyone goes there. It’s not expensive and it is basically the same place they built back in 1918. Rather than “renovated,” this place was preserved. The wood is original. The tin ceiling is original. I think the owners are original, or at least original descendants of the folks who built it.

When you see the neon sign at night with the mustard dripping in bright yellow neon lights onto the neon hot dogs, it makes your hard go pit-a-pat.

There’s more!

The walls are so carved with memories, they are as American artistic experience.

George’s Coney Island  is alive and well  in nearby Worcester, Massachusetts. If you are interested, click the link. There’s a lot of information about it online. Reviews are available. It’s definitely worth the trip and you’ll love that astonishing, amazing neon sign!

9 thoughts on “100 YEARS OF HOT DOGS IN WORCESTER

1. chandlerswainreviews January 22, 2018 / 12:56 am

You had me worried for a minute there. When I saw the headline stating “100 Years of Hot Dogs” I feared you might have eaten one of those vintage petrified franks at the movies.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 1:17 am

I learned long years ago that whatever those things are, they aren’t food. Maybe it’s the 18 hours of cooking that does it, but petrified is an accurate description.

• Garry Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 12:13 pm

I don’t care what’s in ’em. Gawd, I LOVE hot dawgs! Gimme a couple or 3 with steamed onions and mustard.

2. angloswiss January 22, 2018 / 1:04 am

American Tradition. We have them, but not so much takeaway. People do them at home

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 1:12 am

This isn’t a takeaway. It’s a sit down and eat place. It’s just old and very original. And it has one HUGE neon sign 🙂

• Garry Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 12:14 pm

Hot Dogs, beisbol and Vin Scully. That’s America to me.

3. swo8 January 22, 2018 / 12:30 pm

and a strawberry milkshake…yum.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I don’t think they do milkshakes, but it’s a pretty good light lunch place — and also, not at all expensive. For $5, you can EAT. (Burp.)