SUMMER ODDBALLS IN WINTER’S COLD

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: January 21, 2018

“Antique” wires along the road. I have some kind of “thing” about wires. Everyone else seems to be trying to erase them. I’m trying to capture them.

To be fair, it isn’t nearly as cold today as it was a week ago … and almost all the remains of the last snow have melted to nearly nothing. As winters go, so far, so good.

Marina in Lake Otsego – graphic view
Hay bale, rolled by machine awaiting pick up in the field

I haven’t been out much. I’ve taken a few pictures. Posted many of them. What I have been doing is opening up folders from times when I took a lot of pictures but didn’t get around to processing them. These are all from a few years ago. Not newly shot, but newly completed in the sense that I just processed them. I was surprised at how much better they are than I remembered.

I’m pretty sure this is some kind of forage crop. We saw fields and fields of it, but there was no one around to ask what crop it is. If you recognize it, let me know.
I think there is a beaver in this pond, but I can’t find him. Lots of ducks, though.

Of course — why not? I’m still using the same lenses, though the cameras have been upgraded and no matter how great the camera is, no one’s pictures are any better than the glass on the camera.

11 thoughts on “SUMMER ODDBALLS IN WINTER’S COLD

1. angloswiss January 22, 2018 / 1:00 am

Good oddballs. Hay bales have changed over the years with compact shapes

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 1:14 am

I didn’t even know what they were when I first saw them. They are all bagged up in some kind of plastic wrap. I think a big machine goes over the field and bags up the hay as they go.

2. swo8 January 22, 2018 / 12:58 pm

They’ve been making those round cylinder bales for some time here. They’re really quite heavy.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 1:49 pm

They look heavy. And HUGE. We don’t grow a lot of forage crops around here, so you don’t see hay too often. Locally, it’s orchards, dairy cattle, corn and some small produce lots with cucumbers and a staggering amount of squash, from pumpkins to enough acorn squash to feed the masses.

• swo8 January 22, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Nice to be close to all that fresh produce.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 22, 2018 / 5:24 pm

In the summer, it’s wonderful. All the produce is local and organic. All our local farms are organic. I wondered for a while why all our farms are organic and figured it’s because of the aquifer. If you use chemical fertilizers, they will poison the aquifer. Any chemical you use on plants is going to seep into the earth and end up in the water. Smart farmers!

• swo8 January 23, 2018 / 12:35 pm

They are smart indeed and lucky you.

3. Cee Neuner January 24, 2018 / 11:22 am

Thanks so much for playing in the challenge. 😀

4. athling2001 January 24, 2018 / 11:25 am

If the dam is still in good repair, the beaver is probably still there. Great pictures.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 24, 2018 / 11:30 am

I really wanted a picture of the beaver, but if he was there, he did a good job blending in. The ducks were cute, though 🙂