VARIATIONS ON WIRES IN COOPERSTOWN

WordPress Weekly Photographic Challenge: Variations on a Theme of Wires in Cooperstown

While other people try to erase wires, I’m fascinated by them. The connectors between towns, between data. Voice and pictures and sound and ideas all race along those wires. When the wires arrived, it defines when this country become one country. It was the wires that did it and they still do it.

Dye-Cast wires in Cooperstown
Electric abstract wires in Cooperstown

21 thoughts on “VARIATIONS ON WIRES IN COOPERSTOWN

1. angloswiss January 25, 2018 / 12:54 am

That long row of wiry poles is a good photo, we don’t see them so much in Switzerland.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 1:14 am

You don’t see them in the suburbs or even much in cities, except near power plants. But out here, there’s so much room … and there are a LOT of power plants in the area, you can’t avoid them.

2. Sue Vincent January 25, 2018 / 2:24 am

My very first ‘arty’ photos as a teen were telegraph poles over the moors in the snow… naturally monochrome….

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 3:45 pm

I’ve been very fond of wires since the beginning too. I love the way, if you stand directly under them, they continue on until they disappear like an overhead railroad. It was particularly striking in the desert. And around here, you either embrace wires or spend your photographic life trying to make them disappear.

• Sue Vincent January 25, 2018 / 4:40 pm

I hate getting a stray oe across an idyllic image…but on their own, like wind farms, they make striking subjects.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I try to incorporate them into the picture. ALL of New England is full of power lines. We have more nuclear power plants per capita than anywhere else in the world. When the mills left, the power plants moved onto those same rivers. To the best of my knowledge, the fish don’t glow, but they could. I’m not sure that WE don’t glow.

I remember when I moved here, a friend with a camera said that the bane of New England photographers was getting pictures of our lovely churches without the wires. I decided to go another way.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 3:45 pm

Surprisingly, I like it too. Sometimes, I try an effect I think is going to be weird and find I kind of like it. This was one of them.

3. jcalberta January 25, 2018 / 12:20 pm

I do rework most of my images. On most I really can’t go too far afield. For the most part I do adjust resolution, contrast and brightness. On B&W I often change Tone or Color for a bit of variety. But I wish I had more filters than I do.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 3:47 pm

I buy filters when they go on sale. With Topaz, once you buy one — I bought the absolutely cheapest one they had — after that they send you notices of sales. Over the past three or four years, I’ve got most of the ones I want. I have a few that I don’t use very much, but some that I never expected to use have turned out to be more useful than i expected. So I’m glad I bought in.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 3:48 pm

Thanks Leslie. Stuff like this gives me a chance to discover effects I’ve never tried before.

• swo8 January 25, 2018 / 4:04 pm

Each picture looks so different.

4. Covert Novelist January 25, 2018 / 1:49 pm

I loved the interesting effects you used, Marilyn. Each one became unique in its own right. And quite lovely to boot. I especially loved the pooches :):)

• Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2018 / 3:49 pm

I mess around with them, too. I change the lighting, the intensity, and colors. Things like this give me an opportunity to see what effects do, so it’s a fun testing ground.

• Covert Novelist January 25, 2018 / 3:50 pm

Oh yes, I so agree and it’s lovely to see. Pictures can say so much and the mood can change depending on the colour, lighting and texture. The same picture can say so much. I love it.