SILHOUETTES AND SHADOW SHOWS

There was a dance with the name “Silhouette” back in the very early 1960s … or maybe it was the very late 1950s.

Okay, looked it up again — 1957 was the original by The Rays, but other groups put out versions of it too — Herman’s Hermits and the Ronettes — both 1965. And the Nylons in 1981. I missed the 1981 version — I was in Israel by then.

It was a line dance. It may have been the very first of all line dances. I liked it because I could actually perform it and you couldn’t say that about me and other dances — of any kind. It had steps that anyone who could walk could probably master, except most of the guys I knew who barely managed walking without stumbling. It wasn’t drinking, either. They just had problems with managing their feet.

I seem to have found a lot of non-dancing partners through the decades.

These days, “silhouette” is a type of black & white photograph.

When I was a child, though, it meant a shadow show, fingers and a bright light behind a white sheet. Every kid learned to make a rabbit and maybe a horse. And of course, a silly talking face.

Sometimes, on a bad day as I try to have an intelligent conversation with one of the dogs, I feel like I’m one of those “pretend” talking shadows.

You know what I mean?

35 thoughts on “SILHOUETTES AND SHADOW SHOWS

• Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:40 pm

I remember song “Silouetttes” — how many t’s in silhouettes? Silouetttes on the walllllll….

1. Fandango January 26, 2018 / 12:04 pm

Today’s prompt brought up the same song by The Rays for me. I think I scheduled it to be published in about 15 minuets from now.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 12:23 pm

That was a cool song and one of the few dances I knew. I loved when they played it because I could actually do it … and a great dancer I was not! I didn’t know they redid it in 1981. That was news.

• Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:41 pm

15, 14, 13…..

• Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Once knew a woman named Silouette…

2. penneyvanderbilt January 26, 2018 / 12:13 pm

Reblogged this on Ancien Hippie and commented:
    Love that car at the top Think Oldsmobile. Buick would have 3 or 4 “holes” in the side

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I don’t remember. My fathers Chrysler had hole, but I don’t remember much except it also had gigantic wings! Looked like it might take off and fly.

3. swo8 January 26, 2018 / 12:13 pm

All worth framing Marilyn.

4. choosingmyperspective January 26, 2018 / 12:36 pm

YES, I know what you mean about the song, the dance, the boys and their feet and the dogs (except, mine are currently cats…)

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Doesn’t matter. I’ve chatted with dogs, cats, ferrets, parrots … and people who never answered either. All the same “Why am I talking to myself” question in the air.

5. Donnalee January 26, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Striking photos. I noticed the other day that the shadows cast by a small lamp made my hands seem much bigger than the cats and tried to make animal shapes with them, but the cats didn’t care at all. Oh well–

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 5:54 pm

I think our animals go entirely by smell. Shapes are only interesting if they are programmed to be interested — like birds and mice. And certain sounds. Occasionally, our dogs watch TV for a few minutes if there are dogs on it, but they know they aren’t really dogs, so unless they bark, they lose interest in a couple of seconds. They are not easily fooled 🙂

• Donnalee January 26, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I thought my pair might be susceptible, since the one has shown interest in animals and motion outside the closed window, and the other has some odd quirks that respond to things in ways I don’t understand.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 6:55 pm

We’ve tried too. They love the sound of barking and lord knows they do enough of it. They will look up when they hear some barks on TV, but lose interest almost immediately. I think if it doesn’t smell like a live creature or trigger some innate response to hunt — like mice to terriers and cats, for example — they aren’t interested. Basically, they want food. Or something that might become food.

• Donnalee January 26, 2018 / 7:01 pm

Or, in my case, someone who may be a source of food…they want me to stop the strange hand movements that do not result in catfud.

6. Marcela Senise January 26, 2018 / 6:50 pm

beautiful pictures representing in the most blunt way today’s prompt! loved it!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Thank you. I have come to realize that I am at the age where everything I remember is nostalgic. You hit your 70s and most of the exciting stuff happened before!

7. queenofdanile January 27, 2018 / 7:58 am

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?

• Anonymous January 27, 2018 / 3:27 pm

Oh, figured you would hear me singing it. Pretty sure ya did.

• queenofdanile January 29, 2018 / 10:39 am

Weird. I retorted via my iPhone, and became anonymous. Stealth mode perhaps? 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong January 29, 2018 / 10:50 am

You have to sign on for each device. I think it’s some version of “added security” though I don’t see how that secures anything.