PATTERNS IN BLACK & WHITE

Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge:
Outdoor – Patterns

Patterns are fun in black and white. You can really see the repetitions without the distraction of color. Textures and forms always seem at their best in monochrome.

Beacon Hill patterns
Patterns in a fence
Patterns in sepia – wall of the barn
Patterned chrysanthemum
Beacon Hill patterns
Patterns on Fenway park

22 thoughts on “PATTERNS IN BLACK & WHITE

• Anisha February 9, 2018 / 12:54 am

They are indeed beautiful… especially the fence click!

• Garry Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:35 pm

I like the stills from “Walk East On Beacon Street” (’47/UA/ Louis DeRouchemont) George Murphy.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:41 pm

A movie would probably catch the patterns even better. We keep talking about movies. One of these days, we are going to have to actually give it a try!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 1:44 am

One of the neat things about cities is the way things line up … like front steps and streetlights. I actually look for patterns when I’m taking pictures. in town They are fun to shoot. and one of the only places where black & white seems like the natural way it ought to go.

• Garry Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:36 pm

walk THIS way ….

1. DailyMusings February 9, 2018 / 6:05 am

You are so right- the lack of color makes the patterns really pop. Beautiful choices

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:40 pm

This is one of those rare times when I was looking for patterns. It’s why I love shooting in the city when I can. I don’t want to live there, but the architecture … well, you know. You do the same thing too 🙂

2. Lionelson N.Y. February 9, 2018 / 10:32 am

The buildings are already beautiful but the way you capture them in black and white makes it more captivating. I love it!

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:39 pm

I really was going for the pattern. I have always loved the way matching steps and handrails line up on city streets, particularly cool in old areas like Beacon Hill. Baltimore is like that, too. Any area with old brick homes make great patterned images and you can see the patterns better in b & w.

Actually, cities are great for patterns. It’s harder to find really interesting ones in the country because we don’t have as much interesting architecture, at least not all clumped together like that. We don’t get into Boston much anymore. It’s a long drive and the traffic is from Hell.

• Garry Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:41 pm

There’s a symnetry in the line of those “3 deckers”. You have to be a city native/ person to appreciate the beauty and the smells.

Remember laundry drying on outside lines?

I love the smell of Tide in the morning.

3. jcalberta February 9, 2018 / 11:24 am

Most people never think of changing a colour image to a monocrhome, but obviously it’s often very effective.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:34 pm

It’s effective if you have enough contrast and a clear set of objects. I don’t like the way it works on most landscapes, though I like it for a few, depending. It’s great for skies. A slightly cloudy sky becomes amazing in black & white. All the clouds you could barely see in color pop right out. Other kinds of texture, too, like rust, old wood, etc. Silhouettes, for obvious reasons. I like black & white for some stuff. Mostly, though, it’s nice to be able to choose.

• Garry Armstrong February 9, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Pilgrim, most people have limited imagination. You’re not one of them. You’ll do.

4. Cee Neuner February 9, 2018 / 2:20 pm

Marilyn, you have found some really terrific patterns for this week. Well done 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong February 11, 2018 / 12:54 pm

Thank you. For once, I actually shot the originals for the patterns. It made this a lot easier. I think I look for patterns. So do you, actually. I’ve noticed that there are frequently patterns in your pictures, too.

5. swo8Leslie February 9, 2018 / 3:25 pm

lovely for patterns, works well…..