ODDBALLS – NEW EFFECTS USING TOPAZ FILTERS

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: February 11, 2018

I’m pleased with these effects. For the first time, I created the effects I wanted. Not from scratch — I’m not that talented. I found basic designs I liked, but weren’t quite “it.” The originals were in black & white. I wanted color in a graphic sketch style using more detail, color, more texture to created a painted graphics image. Sort of.

Grab your keys on the way out.

I worked from two designs — an HDR-Micro format in which I loved the design but hated the colors –and another using a black & white graphics sketch that needed more contrast, color, and texture.

Good morning!

Then I saved my effects and released them to Topaz. I have been creating these or similar effects for a while, but I never saved them. Each time I wanted to use them, I had to reproduce them.

Crowd on the docks in Boston

It finally occurred to me that I was wasting a lot of time creating the same things repeatedly when I could save them and add them to the studio. I had not realized I could release them so everyone can use them. That was a nice touch.

Along the edge

All of these oddballs are effects I originated based on models from Topaz.

Morning coffee is ready

What am I trying to do? Glad you asked. I’ve been trying to create a “magazine cover” graphic design. I want it to look like old copies of Look (think Norman Rockwell) or maybe The New Yorker. I’m not there yet, but that’s the goal.

12 thoughts on “ODDBALLS – NEW EFFECTS USING TOPAZ FILTERS

1. judyt54 February 13, 2018 / 12:17 am

I love these colors. Not the bright ones so much, but the more neutral, grey and black shades. These are amazingly elegant…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 13, 2018 / 1:10 am

I am also extremely fond of the softer colors. It’s part of what I’ve been trying to create. My palette is pretty neutral for just about everything and it isn’t fashionable for photographs. But I prefer it. I am kind of happy with what I’m doing with the filters. Makes me feel creative 😀

2. lifelessons February 13, 2018 / 1:19 am

Love these, Marilyn. Especially the toothbrush/Glade one, which is so painterly. The others are all great, too.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 13, 2018 / 1:24 am

I’m working on these and I think eventually, I’ll have my own set of filters that do what I want. It’s kind of cool 🙂

3. DailyMusings February 13, 2018 / 5:55 am

The first 2 are my favorites- especially the bathroom counter!

4. swo8Leslie February 13, 2018 / 12:09 pm

The effects do have a vintage and softening look to them, very pleasing.

5. jcalberta February 20, 2018 / 10:45 am

nice … very nice. i could use those..