LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE

WE LET THEM LIE AND CATCH THOSE ZZZZs. We wouldn’t want them too exhausted to beg for cookies or race around tearing up the joint, would we?

Rest, sweet Duke
Blizzard in January!
Sleeping swan with head under his wing

Sleeping dogs are a favorite subject. They are quiet and I can focus the camera! Yes, focus. And no one tries to stick his or her big wet nose up the lens.

Arizona desert – Photo: Garry Armstrong
Yellow stone Arizona desert – Photo: Garry Armstrong
Gibbs
Bonnie

25 thoughts on “LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE

1. angloswiss February 15, 2018 / 12:19 am

I am sure they are keeping an eye on you, even when they sleep

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:21 am

it’s pretty funny. They are sound asleep, but the minute one of us gets on our feet they are on their feet. You never know. We might go into … tada … the KITCHEN WHERE THE BISCUITS ARE!

• Garry Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:40 pm

They’re so adorable when they’re sleeping. We almost forget what they’re like when awake and in full metal jacket mode.

2. evilsquirrel13 February 15, 2018 / 3:12 am

I notice that even when the dogs sleep together, they have their own little spots. The cats, especially when it is cold, will usually curl up together to sleep. This was especially amusing to me when Ody’s brother Spilly was still around, because they’d spend half their waking hours fighting and wrestling with each other… then unwind by curling up together and taking a nap. I guess cats just don’t care when others think about them…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:13 pm

It’s always a “Three-dog Night” around here. I’m humming, humming, humming. Hmm. Before the Big Duke showed up, the two Scotties were like yin and yang. Less now. They are more independent of each other, but they all like the big sofa. So it’s lucky we almost never sit there ourselves. Every once in a blue and yellow-polka-dotted moon, we have company and that’s where company sits. The dogs get very grumpy about it.

• Garry Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Squirrel, last night Gibbs was asleep and making weird noises. I was alarmed. Marilyn explained not to worry, Gibbs was just dreaming. Squirrel, do dogs have wet dreams?

• evilsquirrel13 February 15, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I don’t think I would want to find out! And thankfully, my cats are neutered…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:10 pm

It is VERY hard, which is why I have a lot more recent pictures of The Duke who at least has enough white in his coat to catch the light. And it isn’t just the amount of light … it’s the type of light. Bright sunlight across the black fur makes them look like black & white dogs or sometimes, gray dogs. Black dogs, black noses, dark eyes. AND they love sticking their big wet noses into the lenses, too πŸ˜€

• Garry Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Hard to take a good photo of a black dog? Hey, that’s blatantly racist! You can see their shiny teeth. Sometimes,I have difficulty telling Bonnie from Gibbs (the 2 scotties). Gibbs has a long nose. Hey, that’s blatantly———.

• Reflections of an Untidy Mind February 15, 2018 / 5:28 pm

The same thought has occurred to me too, Garry. So I prefer to think that it is just my technique that needs improving. πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Light. We need more light. For some reason, if there IS light, it isn’t shining on the black dogs!

• Garry Armstrong February 16, 2018 / 12:11 pm

Reflections, during my working days, I used to drive the TV camera crews nuts. I’d return from a summer vacation, VERY darkly tanned, wearing my ” white John Travolta 3 piece suit”. I’d stand, preening in the sunshine as the crews tried to shoot this dark guy in a white suit. Not my finest hour …but I loved it.

3. DailyMusings February 15, 2018 / 7:27 am

Nothing like a sleeping dog- your last photo is my favorite

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:08 pm

Bonnie is VERY big on sleep πŸ™‚ Until she thinks there’s a good reason to get up … or she’s just feeling frisky!

• Garry Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:47 pm

Princess Bonnie is pondering the problems of her kingdom.

4. swo8Leslie February 15, 2018 / 10:48 am

They look so peaceful when they’re asleep, lovely photos, Marilyn.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:08 pm

I thought the swans were pretty cool too, the way they coil their necks and float off to sleep.

5. Cee Neuner February 15, 2018 / 11:34 am

Marvelous selection of photos for Z. Thanks Marilyn πŸ˜€

• Marilyn Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:07 pm

And thank you, too. I was glad for the zzzzs … but then I found Arizona and blizzard, so it worked out even better πŸ™‚

• Garry Armstrong February 15, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Those Arizona pictures take me back to a great vacation in cowboy country. Magic time except for my encounter with a cactus. Always A Pilgrim.