FIRST SUCCESSFUL ROSE AND TWO IMPERFECT BIRDS
I have had a really hard time drawing a rose that looked like a rose. This annoyed me because I’m pretty good with flowers, even complicated flowers. But for some reason, roses with all that layering came out all wrong. Last night, I looked at a picture of our roses and decided I could do it. I just had to try harder.
Now, the next two birds are imperfect. I couldn’t get the eyes on the Bluejay to come out right. That might be because in all my pictures of Jays, you can’t see their eyes since they are buried in their black mask. I liked the rest of the bird, but no matter what I did, I didn’t — don’t — like the eyes. Another try is coming soon.
The following Rose-Breasted Grosbeak was coming out fine until I got to his feet. I don’t do well with feet. Sometimes they come out, often they don’t. Sometimes I skip the feet entirely and bury them somewhere in the picture. Also, when I realized the feet were just wrong, I realize the body was not the right length either. I sort of fixed it, but there’s a reboot coming on this picture too.
This is a long-bodied bird for his size. His legs are closer to the back of his body than are the legs of most garden birds. Getting the proportions right has been tricky. Also, he’s another bird with black eyes in a black mask.
We used to see Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks once in a while, but now they are nesting in the backyard, so they are always near.