OCTOBER BY THE RESERVOIR

Yesterday’s maple. Tomorrow, much more red.
Old maple tree (almost an oil painting) – Photo: Marilyn Armstrong

Turns out that big piece of water near the farm is the Ironstone Reservoir. Thank you, Bob, for discovering what’s in my back yard by looking at Google maps … in Australia. What a small world we are living in these days.

Photo: Garry Armstrong

If I were to own a farm, this is the perfect place to own it. Gently rolling land along a stream and a reservoir. Long, green lawns where the cows can graze and a little stream, so when it gets too warm, they can wade in the river. There’s something terribly funny about watching a small herd of dairy cows all up to their hocks in a stream, chewing contentedly on the wildflowers along the banks.

Photo: Garry Armstrong
Photo: Garry Armstrong
Yellow vines – Photo: Marilyn Armstrong

The trees are beginning to really change now. The past 24 hours has seen a big change. Our one (and only) maple tree is more than half red and I bet by tomorrow night, it will be entirely scarlet. Our woods is golden fromΒ  the deck as far back as I can see, except for the pines. Nice contrast.

Marilyn and cow Number 28 – Photo: Garry Armstrong

We still have roses blooming in the garden. Spider-wort too. But fall is finally here.

20 thoughts on “OCTOBER BY THE RESERVOIR

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:35 pm

We have waited long for this autumn. It isn’t one of the amazing seasons, but at least it IS a season πŸ™‚ I think I get 50% of the pictures for the year between September and December.

• Garry Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:48 pm

It was a nice day for the pictures. The “Moos” were certainly cooperative. Their check is in the mail.

1. angloswiss October 8, 2017 / 8:40 am

Autumn is the best season for the camera as you have shown in your photos.

• Garry Armstrong October 9, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Okay, Squirrel. More proof that you’re a larcenous prevert. My kind of guy!!!

2. dcmontreal October 8, 2017 / 10:11 am

Some of those lovely photos would make for very tough jigsaw puzzles!!!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 12:47 pm

I actually have one that IS a jigsaw puzzle. It’s a cool thing to do with a picture πŸ™‚

3. Rich Paschall October 8, 2017 / 10:26 am

The colors are starting to show here also. And they are starting to litter the lawn!

4. swo8 October 8, 2017 / 4:51 pm

There’s more red showing now.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 8, 2017 / 6:37 pm

This is full autumn, but it’s warm. We haven’t had those cold nights that bring up the full color, so I don’t think we’re going to see blazing colors. It’s pretty. Very yellow and gold. Not much red, except for our one maple tree.

5. lwbut October 9, 2017 / 1:28 am

Autumn! Yaayyy! πŸ˜€

You certainly do have some picturesque spots close by! Love the pics.

love

• Marilyn Armstrong October 9, 2017 / 3:39 am

This place is REALLY close. It is around the block. Of course, they are big blocks, in this case a few acres of woods.

• lwbut October 9, 2017 / 5:33 am

There seems to be an abundance of little lakes and brooks in reasonable proximity to Uxbridge! There’s not much like that close to me -but i’m content with my garden and flowers! πŸ˜‰

love