RAINY WEATHER PHOTOGRAPHY – GARRY ARMSTRONG

Photo: Garry Armstrong

It was peak color in New England … or at least in our area of south central Massachusetts. Unfortunately, it was also raining, so long excursions to exotic parts of the valley were out of the question.

Rain or not, it was magical outside. Without bright sunlight, the wet trees were richly colorful … and for once, evenly tinted without sharp shadows or burned out areas.

Photo: Garry Armstrong

Our Olympus OM-D M5 cameras are weatherproof, so there was no reason to not at least wander around our own property and shoot our very local color.

Photo: Garry Armstrong

20 thoughts on “RAINY WEATHER PHOTOGRAPHY – GARRY ARMSTRONG

1. slmret October 29, 2017 / 12:13 am

Wonderfully colorful trees — the first shot looks almost like a watercolor!

2. swo8 October 29, 2017 / 11:28 am

Great photos Garry, you still have a bit of colour there, but it’s fading fast.

• swo8 October 29, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Now we’re in the thick of it Marilyn…..Ugh.

3. Rich Paschall October 29, 2017 / 1:32 pm

It is like that here now: overcast but still colorful.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 29, 2017 / 1:41 pm

Ironically, rain improves color as long as it isn’t too dark and your camera is okay with a little rain. The shiny leaves have a real glow to them πŸ™‚

4. DailyMusings October 29, 2017 / 7:09 pm

Thanks for sharing Garry- raining here too in NJ- but not even color to venture out and not a waterproof camera either!

• Marilyn Armstrong October 30, 2017 / 1:03 pm

We got torrential rains and wind — and a 4 hour power outage too. Fortunately it was in the dead of night and it was fixed by morning. And for the first time EVER, my cell phone was dead. I usually turn it off when I’m not using it, but I must have forgotten. The WiFi was down (obviously) and the only phone number I have for the electric company is on my cell. So — (brilliant move, if I do say so myself! — I plugged the phone into the computer (laptop) to got enough charge to call the electric company.

I figured it was the middle of the night and while the whole street was out, I might be the only one awake to notice it. If we waited till morning, there wouldn’t be (gasp) COFFEE when we got up! I was right, as it turned out … and the power was back this morning. The sun is out … and the leaves are almost completely bare. That 70 mph wind last night finished them off in a hurry.

5. Rebel Girl October 29, 2017 / 7:16 pm

Cold and rainy here too. Glad you were able to get out and about to take these shots. I don’t know why I love rusty old vehicles but I do. A great picture.

6. lwbut October 30, 2017 / 4:07 am

Great shots!

His and Hers letterboxes???

love

• lwbut October 30, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Ahhhh! πŸ™‚ I’ve never seen letterboxes on the one side of the road for houses either side – it must be a ‘country’ thang? πŸ˜‰

• Marilyn Armstrong October 30, 2017 / 8:58 pm

It’s the post office being unwilling to drive down both sides of the road. Long road, not many houses, so they decide which side and everyone puts the boxes on the same side so they guy in the truck can put the mail in without exiting the truck.

• lwbut October 30, 2017 / 9:15 pm

makes good sense when you think about it – i just don’t recall ever seeing it before – maybe its a memory issue? πŸ˜‰

• Marilyn Armstrong October 30, 2017 / 10:39 pm

I grew up in NY. The city. The post office delivered to everyone, every day except Sunday. By the time I moved up to Massachusetts, they delivered most days unless the delivery guy got tired and didn’t feel like it. And late. We don’t get our mail until dinner time. It has more to do with cutting costs than anything else. Somewhere during the 1990s, the U.S. Postal Service was privatized, which means it is no longer a government agency, even though it works 100% for the government. The USPS worked a LOT better before it was privatized.

• lwbut October 30, 2017 / 11:19 pm

Much the same story here in the ‘burbs’ except we only ever had 5 day delivery and we normally get our mail by lunchtime Ours was privatised and the post offices are franchises now. Most managers know more about the dime store goods they now sell than the post. – it’s not their ‘business’!

• lwbut October 31, 2017 / 2:34 am

We agree! it also generally makes quite a bit for the buyers also – until they go bankrupt (and sometimes especially then)