BABY, IT’S COLD OUTSIDE! – RICH PASCHALL

My Top 10 Cold Weather Songs, Rich Paschall, Sunday Night Blog

With some of the nation having already been visited by cold and snow, it seems like a good time to bring on the winter tunes. Songs by any band with “Cold” in their name is not what we mean here.  Nor shall we include song about loves who are as “Cold As Ice” or running “Against The Wind.”  Our tunes are really songs about winter, cold, and snow.  Some are a bit more symbolic than others, but they will do nicely for my purposes.

Let’s be clear, they are not holiday songs, although some of them only get played in the holiday season.  Since the Christmas holiday season seems to start around Halloween and go until New Year’s Day, I guess there is already ample opportunity to hear some of them.  You will discover that there is no holiday greeting included in the cold and snowy lyrics.  In fact, we will give you some instrumentals just because you can already place them in your winter memory.

Let me start you off with an honorable mention from the movie White Christmas.  No I am not sneaking in a Christmas song.  This is strictly two minutes of wishing for snow by four big name performers:

There are a number of other songs about snow that may not be classics, but are good nonetheless.  Track down “Snow” by Harry Nilsson, for example.  Type in “Snow” in a You Tube search and you will certainly see “Snow (Hey Oh)” by Red Hot Chili Peppers.  On second thought, you better type in “snow songs” so you can avoid all those home-made videos of people stuck in a snow drift.

Here’s our bottom 5 with everything from a Classical sound to traditional, rock to rolling “down the streets of town” by a snow man.  There are winter birds of all kinds if you just let it snow:
10. Wizards of Winter – Trans-Siberian Orchestra
9. Winter – Rolling Stones
8. Frosty the Snowman – by just about everyone with a Christmas Album or two
7. Snowbird – Anne Murray
6. Let It Snow – Frank Sinatra, but there are probably a thousand versions of this by now

The next one earns a place here as much for the back story as anything.  This symbolic “A Winter’s Tale” was written by Freddie Mercury from his hospital room overlooking Lake Geneva, Switzerland.  The visions he describes are what he could see from his room.  He laid down the keyboard tracks and vocals in a Swiss studio two weeks before his death.  Queen later finished the song with their parts.  It was released as the second song on a posthumous album four years later.
5. A Winter’s Tale – Queen

Winter imagery can be found in a lot of songs by Paul Simon, especially from the Simon and Garfunkel years. A Hazy Shade of Winter was certainly one of their biggest hits and earns a spot on my songs of Arctic Weather. You will find an intriguing version by the Bangles from years later, but let’s stick with the original.
4. Hazy Shade of Winter – Simon and Garfunkel

One of the most popular songs of the Christmas season is Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson. Although often played only as an instrumental, the lyrics say nothing of the holidays. There is, however, “a birthday party at the home of Farmer Gray.” They are rather seasonal as they “pass around the coffee and the pumpkin pie,” but the song really is about a sleigh ride through the snow. Find a version with someone singing, if you must. Nothing says “Sleigh Ride” like the Boston Pops Orchestra:
3. Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson – John Williams & The Boston Pops

If you are not sleigh riding through the snow, perhaps you are walking in a winter wonderland. There are many versions of this seasonal classic, but I could not pass by Tony Bennett singing outside in Rockefeller Center. Tony’s nose is so red he could be Rudolph. Despite the frozen crowd, the musicians somehow manage to play as Mr. Bennett looks appropriately cold:
2. Winter Wonderland – Tony Bennett

When I think of cold and snow outside, this is my song. There is nothing that inspires me to go out in a storm. While I enjoyed seeing Joseph Gordon-Leavitt do this with Lady Gaga, of all people, and nothing compares to Ricardo Montalban crooning at Esther Williams or Red Skelton at Betty Garrett in the movies, the best version is Dean Martin and anyone. He recorded the song with a number of people, here with Martina McBride
1. Baby, It’s Cold Outside – Dean Marin with Martina McBride

This Frank Loesser penned tune won the Academy Award for the 1949 romantic comedy musical Neptune’s Daughter.

Click on any title to get the song, or hear them all on my playlist here.

15 thoughts on “BABY, IT’S COLD OUTSIDE! – RICH PASCHALL

1. swo8 November 26, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Thank you for mentioning Snow Bird by our beloved Anne Murray, Rich.

• Rich Paschall November 26, 2017 / 12:43 pm

It was just one of the non-Christmas songs that came to mind. I recall it well.

• swo8 November 26, 2017 / 12:46 pm

She has a wonderful voice and it is her signature song.

• Garry Armstrong November 27, 2017 / 1:04 pm

Rich, good music selections for my least favorite season. Nothing personal. Too many blizzard live shots have left me at odds with the old man.

I might add “Moonlight In Vermont” if it’s appropriate.

• Rich Paschall November 27, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Any song you like for the season is appropriate. I like winter the least as well. We can have a light snow on Christmas Eve and then it can all go away until next year.

• Garry Armstrong November 28, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Rich,I agree. A Christmas cameo would be perfect. Adieu,Old man!

2. Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I’m painfully unready for the upcoming season. It’s not ONLY that I’m unready. I have the tree, the lights (very small, very small). Even the gifts and I hear the dollar store has bags for a buck apiece. No, it’s the season — and the end of another year I’m not ready for.

• Rich Paschall November 26, 2017 / 3:44 pm

My friend wants a tree, but I do not have a stand or lights or many ornaments. If I go for, I will be forced to get the rest. Yikes

• Marilyn Armstrong November 26, 2017 / 8:29 pm

I have a tabletop 4 foot tree. I decorated it three years ago and put it in the attic WITH all the decorations. This year, I bought fairy lights for it. You have NO idea has this improved our holiday season!

• Rich Paschall November 26, 2017 / 11:22 pm

I am not crazy about buying all this stuff again, but if John will do all the work and clean up after, maybe we will do it.

• Rich Paschall November 27, 2017 / 12:21 am

That’s the way I feel. It seems like such a waste, and the cost has gone way up in recent years. I think my friend never had a tree, so it may be too big a deal to let go.

• Garry Armstrong November 27, 2017 / 1:07 pm

I can just see Duke eye-balling a big Christmas tree and then doing his Kurt Russell-Wyatt Earp thing.

• Garry Armstrong November 28, 2017 / 12:32 pm

Mary Linn, can we hire men with guns to go after old man winter? I know what the other old man said but still ——