ALMOST LIKE ZEN: THURSDAY SPECIAL

The challenge is “concept.” The picture is …

72-still-life-candles-lr-12082016_04
Tranquility and balance

Paula’s Thursday’s Special this week is “Conceptual Photography.” Which — for me — less an illustration of a concept, then a picture that embodies — or is itself — a concept. Many of the odd photographs I take are an attempt (more or less successful) to capture an idea, often of balance, or a counterpoint..

I took this one last night very late. I think I was more than half asleep and the original intention was to see if the camera would do a particular thing. It came without a manual, so although I’ve had it more than a year, I’m still discovering what it can do. The answer turned out to be “yes it can” and this is the result.

I would have posted it last night, except I fell asleep before I finished the post. Better late than never, right?

Thursday’s Special: Conceptual Photography

13 thoughts on “ALMOST LIKE ZEN: THURSDAY SPECIAL

1. draliman December 9, 2016 / 3:17 am

“Lamp and Jars” by Marilyn. I can see this in a gallery with people clustered around it, pondering its deeper meaning. They’d be disappointed to find out you snapped it on the way to bed.

• Paula December 9, 2016 / 7:17 am

Looks like a good meditation exercise before going to bed; no wonder Marilyn fell asleep 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong December 9, 2016 / 7:54 am

More interesting, I got OUT of bed, took the pictures, then stumbled back to bed. Mostly asleep the entire time. As it happens, I’ve got a computer next to the bed and the rest is history.

2. Paula December 9, 2016 / 7:02 am

Oh my, you fell asleep and I come so late to see your work. Sorry Marilyn, it is our time zones.
    I can see soft light, scented candles, something ambiguous that looks like a tea pot or an old phone, a nice ceramic bowl, and a box, or is it a book cover? They are all placed together on a wrought iron shelf/ desk. The scene looks inviting and inspires tranquility of a home at peace. Thank you.

3. DailyMusings December 9, 2016 / 7:16 am

Still life on dog crate- I like it. The soft glow of light with candles next to it- a hint of color from the bowl. What do they all mean together? Do tell.

• Paula December 9, 2016 / 7:18 am

So that’s a dog crate?! And what is that first object on the right?

• Marilyn Armstrong December 9, 2016 / 7:52 am

It’s a music box with a spinning disk on top — and a kaleidoscope (looks like a small telescope). The kaleidoscope can come up and you can view other things through it.

The thing that looks like a box IS a box. It contains a jigsaw puzzle.

• Paula December 9, 2016 / 8:21 am

🙂 Thank you, Marilyn, for this treasure hunt.

• swo8 December 9, 2016 / 10:12 am

I was curious about that item on the right too. Thank you Paula for asking.

• DailyMusings December 9, 2016 / 3:07 pm

that one Marilyn has to answer- I don’t know either!! 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong December 9, 2016 / 7:56 am

Good catch on the dog crate 🙂 Actually, you can tell a lot about people who use dog crates as furniture.