THE DOCK BY THE RIVER – AFTER AND BEFORE

BLACK & WHITE SUNDAY: AFTER AND BEFORE Y1-08

From Paula: This challenge is the AFTER and BEFORE. It invites you to post the same image in black and white, and in colour. The topic and subject are arbitrary. The only condition is you post an image captured in colour and you turn it monochrome in post processing.

We were down by the river today. I was hoping to discover Autumn lurking in the trees, but we found, instead, a fine summer’s day. Rather warm and bright … and humid enough so I had a lot of trouble keeping my glasses from skittering down my nose whenever I looked into my camera. Plastic eyeglasses and a sweaty nose-bridge do not go well together.

The little pier that was falling down last time we were here has been repaired … and here it is. First, in color, then black & white.

The dock at River Bend
The dock at River Bend – monochrome

A lovely day … but not Autumn yet. The light is the right color — yellow, almost amber — especially as it gets late in the afternoon. There is a yellow gold tint in some leaves, but overall …. it’s still summer in the valley. Hot and humid.

Garry is gratefully enjoying an unexpected month of summer. He has rightly pointed out Autumn will be here soon enough. In the meantime, we’ll enjoy the blue sky and the deep green trees.

mergeyes_widget

11 thoughts on “THE DOCK BY THE RIVER – AFTER AND BEFORE

1. lwbut September 24, 2017 / 1:23 am

The monochrome definitely enhances the reflections! I think i prefer it to the colour shot of the two. πŸ™‚

love

• Marilyn Armstrong September 24, 2017 / 1:26 am

That’s a hard one to call. I like both, for different reasons. I love these really simple shots. The angularity makes the pictures almost abstract.

• Garry Armstrong September 24, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed myself on our shoot. I loved the warmth of the summer like day. My Samoan genes browned nicely. Would that I had followed your tutorials about the camera and proper consideration of the sun. Bad Garry!!

2. jcalberta September 24, 2017 / 11:35 am

It’s been a great one. Everything is turning yellow here now though. *sigh*

• Marilyn Armstrong September 24, 2017 / 11:55 am

It’s still pretty warm here. There’s yellow in the trees, but none of the usual reds and gold. At least not yet. Maybe next week. I was out earlier and it’s not merely warm. It’s humid and full of floating pollen, too. Not great for the asthmatics.

• Garry Armstrong September 25, 2017 / 12:46 pm

I know you’re anxiously awaiting classic autumn but I’m enjoying the lingering summer temps. Me, my bones and my shadow.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 25, 2017 / 12:48 pm

I could be okay with summer if the steaminess would diminish. Hard to breathe out there. And my eyeglasses slide down my sweaty little nose.

3. swo8 September 24, 2017 / 12:53 pm

The colour, in all its richness, is my favourite. The black and white has a sad tone to it.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 25, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Doesn’t it? In black & white, it’s the lonely pier on the river. In color, it’s warm and inviting.

4. Paula October 10, 2017 / 3:55 am

I can see the reflection better in monochrome. I love the word “angularity”. An idea for a word challenge comes to mind. Hope you are well, Marilyn. I am back.