DRIPPING

It snowed a billion tons of snow just a single week ago. Billions and trillions of tons and there was no food in the grocery store. We would be without power, without … anything. Life was ending. The hysteria on the television got to me eventually. I usually ignore the frenzy, but every now and again, I ignore it and wish I’d paid a little bit more attention. Like by getting another loaf of bread. Or maybe a few cold cuts.

Garry, who is totally unfazed by this stuff, went out into the Big Wide World and brought home a few odds and ends of groceries. Bread. Cold cuts. My prescription. We didn’t really need much. I keep the freezer well stocked, so it would have to really BE a billion tons of snow before we ran out of food.

Now, it’s dripping. The snow on the roof is drip, drip, dripping onto the ground. The snow and ice on the ground is drip, drip, dripping into the soil. Which presumably will burst forth into bright spring flowers. Soon. Like who knows? Day after tomorrow?

In the name of the billions and trillions of tons of snow that fell upon us last week (which, I might add, turned to rain before the big Kahuna nailed us with its massive power), a few pictures.

Over all? Not a bad winter.

20 thoughts on “DRIPPING

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 1:28 am

Yes, snow is beautiful. The beauty is what saves winter as a season. A fresh coating of snow is lovely.

• Garry Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Correction: Believe we got a zillion zillion inches of snow. They actually did run out of the store brand of rye bread. In desperation, I bought a loaf of the name brand.

Next up, the rains of Ranchipur with a gazillion snow melts flooding our valley of decision.

1. angloswiss March 19, 2017 / 1:47 am

It can now only get better and again the opportunity for some great photos. Snow is a good theme. Our snow is now definitely gone this year (I hope)

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:04 pm

It’s doing the “pre-spring” thing now. A little colder, a little warmer. But it keeps dripping and I think it will have completely dripped itself into mud. We get mud between winter and spring. And spring between winter and caterpillars. BUT after that, we get construction and we know that all is well on this best of all possible earths πŸ™‚

2. draliman March 19, 2017 / 2:38 am

The last of the pretty white photos. Soon there will be beautiful green photos in warm sunlight πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:05 pm

Well, soon we get the VERY pretty flower photos. April we get the early stuff, but MAY is OUR flower month, especially around the very end. This part of the continent is awash in flowers for about a month and it’s pretty nice. And very colorful. Baby birds, too.

3. Dacian March 19, 2017 / 6:09 am

The pictures are amazing though! Great post!

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:06 pm

Thank you. This is (I HOPE) the end of winter. I’d be surprised if we got more after this, though it’s not impossible. I think we are now officially sort of heading for spring and flowers.

4. trentpmcd March 19, 2017 / 7:54 am

We still have almost a foot of snow on the ground up here in NH… At least I’ll be on the Cape later this week to get away from it.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:08 pm

You got the full blast of the storm of which we got about half. We had about a foot before it switched to rain. But I think it really IS over. We have the mud to deal with, of course.

The Cape should be really nice around now. Hardly any people and lots and lots of birds πŸ˜€

• trentpmcd March 19, 2017 / 12:12 pm

I love having a cottage on the Cape for those reasons – it is much nicer off season πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I remember when off season was one day after Labor Day. Not any more. It’s pretty busy through all of September and the first couple of weeks of October, too. I suppose part of it is that it has gotten pretty easy to get there. No more of those little two lane twisting roads.

Have fun!!

5. evilsquirrel13 March 19, 2017 / 9:42 am

Geez, all we had to freak out over this winter was Ice Storm Weekend back in January. Three, count ’em, three freezing rain events were predicted to occur on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All three days it did nothing but rain. But hey, without that epic false alarm I’d have never re-discovered how much I like pizza since those of us who were brave enough to come into work despite the hysteria got treated to all the pizza we could stand…

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:12 pm

We were doomed to Snowmageddon. Really. The meteorologists were in ultra super high gear, practically frothing at the mouth with the vastness and hugeness of the oncoming storm. They finally got to me … at least insofar as I needed bread and that is the first thing to vanish from our shelves (they were, in fact, down to just one) … but otherwise, everything was in good order.

We got about a foot. Then rain. Then the plow. Now, it’s dribbling away. About a week of mud city to come, unless it rains even more. All said, not a bad winter, for us. You didn’t even get winter. You got washed.

Pizza is always good. We keep it frozen so when we get an urge, we just eat. The local joints are bad enough that the frozen stuff is at least as good as THAT.

6. wscottling March 19, 2017 / 12:18 pm

Our freezer is poorly stocked, but our pantry is full. We’ll do fairly well if we get another winter blast. Right now, it’s sunny but *cold*! If we had precipitation, it would be flurries I think.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 19, 2017 / 12:30 pm

I live in hope that this is pretty much done. Maybe the odd flurry, but I think it has gotten warmer. Not like we had in February when it was almost summer, but that loosening of the icy weather we had immediately after the storm. It’s in the mid thirties and forties … which is more or less normal for the month. So I have fingers on both hands crossed and recrossed. I’m ready for warm.

7. swo8 March 19, 2017 / 1:13 pm

Billions and trillions sounds like the national debt. If only it (debt) would disappear with the snow.
    It is very Spring like here today. I’m giving hair cuts on the back deck. Do I have any takers?