WHEN I THINK ABOUT FRYING

When I think about frying, absolutely nothing comes to mind. I mean, really zero. Eventually, I thought of a poem and found it.

It’s from J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” It’s got a hefty dose of boiling and roasting, too. If you are sensitive to little birds, this is probably not the poem for you.

Fifteen birds in five fir trees is a poem found within the chapter:

Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire” from The Hobbit.

Fifteen birds in five fir trees,
their feathers were fanned in a fiery breeze!
what funny little birds, they had no wings!
Oh what shall we do with the funny little things?
Roast ’em alive, or stew them in a pot;
fry them, boil them and eat them hot?
Burn, burn tree and fern!
Shrivel and scorch! A fizzling torch
To light the night for our delight,
Ya hey!
Bake and toast ’em, fry and roast ’em!
till beards blaze, and eyes glaze;
till hair smells and skins crack,
fat melts, and bones black
in cinders lie
beneath the sky!
So dwarves shall die,
and light the night for our delight,
Ya hey!
Ya-harri-hey!
Ya hoy!

17 thoughts on “WHEN I THINK ABOUT FRYING

1. carylbeach April 20, 2017 / 12:29 pm

A brilliant response but a ghastly sentiment🤔😞haha 👍

2. angloswiss April 20, 2017 / 1:24 pm

And now Tabby my cat is pawing her way through The Hobbits. Seems to appeal to her reading tastes.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2017 / 3:31 pm

Tolkien is THE original of that kind of fantasy. There have been many, many copies, but Tolkien is special. I have read the series I don’t know how many times, starting in the mid 1960s when i read them while I was in the hospital after having my back fused. I read a LOT of books since I was in bed for almost five months.

Since then, I’ve read it again and again and of course, seen the movies. Each time I read them, there’s something new. There was a time when I could speak and write in Elvish.

• tomcurley1 April 20, 2017 / 8:13 pm

Yup. remember Fall of Sauron Day?
        We were serious Tolkien keeks.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2017 / 8:17 pm

We were. If anyone drank anymore, we could do it again. Somehow, without booze, it doesn’t quite have the same effect. But we sure did have fun 😀

3. Tish Farrell April 20, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Great stuff having a Hobbit quote. I read it again just recently.

• Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2017 / 5:04 pm

It sticks in your head. i haven’t read the Hobbit in a bunch of years, but I remembered the poem.

4. swo8 April 20, 2017 / 4:07 pm

What about French fries?

5. elvagreen123 April 20, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Am I intelligent life? I’m still LOL because the word “frying” made me think of chicken and I can’t believe you didn’t think of chicken. But you did think about birds. Thanks for the poem though, what a memory you have!!

• Marilyn Armstrong April 20, 2017 / 8:34 pm

Oh, I thought about chicken. But chicken and fries did not make a post for me. I can’t bring myself to write about frying chicken. Now dwarves, THAT’s something I can relate to 😀