NATURE CALLING … THE BLACK & WHITE CHALLENGE

Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: It’s All About Nature

This challenge strikes at the heart of the kind of photography I most enjoy doing. Landscapes, and when I have the chance, any animals or birds that come within range of my camera. And for which I have the wit to actually press the shutter and not stand there boggling at whatever creature has come my way.

Dramatic clouds over the Blackstone Canal
Dramatic clouds over the Blackstone Canal

These pictures of the black-crowned night heron (who was kind enough to pose for me while we were in Connecticut) are not only the first pictures I’ve ever gotten of this bird, it’s the first time I’ve ever actually seen this particular bird. Kind of a double whammy for me.

And last — definitely not least — autumn woods. Not a picture I would usually try in black and white, but it was a challenge so I gave it my best shot. Had to increase structure, contrast … and more. I sort of like it. It’s hard to do autumn in monochrome when its primary feature is color.

72-bw-autumn-woods-10042016_003

Cee's Black & White Photo Challenge Badge

14 thoughts on “NATURE CALLING … THE BLACK & WHITE CHALLENGE

1. angloswiss October 20, 2016 / 2:00 pm

Wonderful photos Marilyn, they are also my favourite subjects and the b/w enhances them.

• Marilyn Armstrong October 20, 2016 / 6:23 pm

Thanks, Pat. I have noticed we tend to shoot a lot of similar pictures. Maybe part of it is living in the country 🙂 And thank you. Black & white was my first medium, but during the long time between when I didn’t have a dark room and the coming-of-age of digital photography, there were a lot of years when I shot only color because that’s what I could get developed. I guess I’m rediscovering my roots, photographically speaking.

• lynncyogutu November 21, 2016 / 4:14 am

Your work is awesome, your photography level is on top notch.

2. Cee Neuner October 20, 2016 / 2:17 pm

Your first photo is sheer perfection. Wonderful entry for this week. Thanks Marilyn 😀

3. Covert Novelist October 20, 2016 / 4:21 pm

Wow I’d be hard pressed to choose a favourite among that group. Really beautiful tyvm

4. DailyMusings October 20, 2016 / 5:24 pm

That shot with the canal and clouds is just stunning Marilyn. How nice of that Heron to pose like that. Quite a cutie too 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong October 20, 2016 / 6:14 pm

Thank you! I’m always grateful when a bird sits still and waits for me to take his picture. I think this guy wanted a closeup. He barely moved for at least 10 minutes 🙂