ORDINARY DAWN

Every year in March, we get glorious sunrises. It only occurs for a week or two and only in March. This morning, I woke up, lifted the shade and there it was. That glorious, gold and lavender morning sky … which remarkably means it will most likely rain later in the day. Still for the half an hour, it is exceptional and heart-lifting.

ORDINARY DAWN | THE DAILY POST

It’s an ordinary spring day in an ordinary year. Which is why, an eighth of a second after I posted this, I looked up and it was snowing. Garry grabbed the camera and ran for the door. It wasn’t snowing hard. Not really much at all, but for all of you who keep insisting that we are experiencing Spring, no — we aren’t! You can see the snow. If you look hard.

I titled the folder “The Absolutely Last Snow.”

Absolutely last snow – Photo: Garry Armstrong

18 thoughts on “ORDINARY DAWN

1. angloswiss March 24, 2017 / 1:19 pm

That is really fantastic, and you even know when to expect it. We get them as well, but without warning and not in that intensity, but we have no tall trees. It really looks like the sky is on fire.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 24, 2017 / 3:09 pm

It lasts about a week every March, just about the same time as the first day of spring. We get something similar in September, but because of the leaves, I can’t see it. I may get a few more days if I’m lucky. It is a marvel when it happens. This isn’t as bright as it really was. My camera couldn’t quite get the intensity. It’s amazing.

2. swo8 March 24, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I’m glad you got a photo of it. Lovely to wake up to.

• Garry Armstrong March 24, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Three Hours later, the white (racist?) stuff returned for revenge. Like Calvera in “The Magnificent Seven”.

• swo8 March 24, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Stunning! Funny how it only happens around this time of year.

3. DailyMusings March 24, 2017 / 3:51 pm

I caught the sunrise this morning too and it was breathtaking as your is. Fortunately we did not have snow, just rain for a bit at 1:00! Freezing cold though and very uspringlike

• Marilyn Armstrong March 24, 2017 / 5:12 pm

I love those “burning sky” sunrises. i woke up and the color was so wild, the room was purple-pink. i need to try a different camera. The colors didn’t come out properly.

4. judyt54 March 24, 2017 / 4:16 pm

It’s also that forewarning that it’s gonna rain/snow/spit on us later. We didnt have the glorious dawn because we were having a glorious snowstorm. our snow, your rain. im more than happy to share. Here, have more.

Whenever i see one of those fire-in-the-sky sunrises, i think of ‘red sky at night sailor’s delight, red sky at morning, sailor’s warning”, and usually doesn’t fail us too often.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 24, 2017 / 4:48 pm

Yup. You see the glorious dawn and expect the glorious rain or snow later. But it sure was beautiful!

It only snowed for about half an hour. Now, drizzle.

5. lwbut March 26, 2017 / 5:08 am

It’s a sure-fire way to have your spirits lifted – then the snow comes! Typical 😉

On the bright side – no moths yet! ( I found a millipede in the shower with me yesterday – some suburbs have them in moth-like plague propotions – YUK! One was more than enough).

love.

6. evilsquirrel13 March 26, 2017 / 10:34 am

We seem to get our best sunrises around the New Year…. or maybe that’s just when I notice them since sunrise is 15 minutes after I get off work at that time of year. I do know it’s that time of the year when the sun is directly on top of the overpass on my way home from work. The equinoxes and DST do NOT mix with my work schedule…

• Marilyn Armstrong March 26, 2017 / 10:45 am

It’s just a couple of days, but this morning, the sun has already moved from the middle of the my “good” sky to the edge, so my “good mornings” for shooting are done. I’m glad I got a few before time marched the sun off and away!