IN TOTAL, MORE DAYS THAN MONEY

June has been a super expensive month.

The spraying for all the bugs, the repair of the front door, Bonnie back and forth to the vet? I had hoped to pay for it all “up front” as it were, but the “front” crumbled. Now, I’m working with the back-end.

Credit.

When you don’t have much coming in and you always have a lot going out, the income can be the same as the outgo. That’s a good month. You go out with a couple of hundred dollars and if the next month is even-steven, it is an accomplishment.

Breaking even isn’t bad — until something “else” comes up. Something else always comes up. It’s never one thing. It’s inevitably a kind of cluster of unavoidable medical and damage repair stuff. Houses and cars always need repair during those months when the number of days exceeds incoming money by about 40%.

There’s some kind of Murphy’s Law about it.

When I saw this heading, I remembered the last thing I was thinking as I fell asleep. Seek and find the unused credit cards. You’re going to need them, this week … or next.

Such is life in the slower lanes of life.

15 thoughts on “IN TOTAL, MORE DAYS THAN MONEY

1. Garry Armstrong June 15, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Wish I could find the millions of dollars that, according to legend, I received upon retiring from TV news.

2. swo8 June 15, 2017 / 4:02 pm

There always seems to be an unexpected emergency.

• swo8 June 15, 2017 / 7:04 pm

It is very hard to keep up today let alone get ahead.

• Marilyn Armstrong June 15, 2017 / 9:15 pm

It seems to me my entire life has been like this. The moment I earn something, out it goes. I think you have to earn a lot MORE money than we did to really save.

3. Leanne Cole June 15, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I feel you, we have been doing some much needed work to our house and you get a quote, then you find out all the costs on top of it that they didn’t know about. Driving me crazy.

• Marilyn Armstrong June 15, 2017 / 5:20 pm

And there’s nothing you can do. After a while, there are things you need to do. There is always more that needs doing than money to do it.

4. Fandango June 15, 2017 / 4:55 pm

I’m recently retired and am adjusting to living on a fixed income. It’s a challenge when unexpected, unbudgetted expenses come up…at least until I hit the big Poweball lottery!

• Marilyn Armstrong June 15, 2017 / 5:19 pm

I’ve saved a LOT of money not buying lottery tickets. Otherwise, I have to wait until I get back a refund every year from taxes. There is no other money.