HANGING AROUND: ORANGE BEGONIA MACROS

Cee’s Fun Foto Challenge: Letter F – Topic is Fun or Flowers

I am planning to bring both of these plants indoors at the end of the season. I thought that might mean now, but summer is lingering … so … October? November?

Macro orange begonia

I don’t know if they can survive in my house. We don’t have much sunlight. They may die a slow death in our darkness, but it’s worth a try. We are trying to swap with someone to take down some trees in return for the wood. It’s all oak, so it’s good wood … and fewer trees would brighten the place a lot.

Two orange begonias

Meanwhile, I thought I’d take a few pictures. These extremely bright flowers have been a photographic challenge for me. I think — finally — I’ve more or less “got it.”

The first thing is do not photograph them in full sun. I suppose it’s “doable,” but it’s so much harder than shooting in shade. Bright shade will give you better detail and truer color.

If you own a macro lens (or have a macro setting on our camera), this is the time to use it. I’ve taken a lot of pictures of flowers. Many lenses shoot close enough so you wouldn’t necessarily need a macro.

But super bright flowers like these? The macro will help. Try it. You’ll see.

That’s it. Bright shade. Macro setting. And maybe turn down the brightness and use a little less saturation when you process them.

19 thoughts on “HANGING AROUND: ORANGE BEGONIA MACROS

1. slmret September 26, 2017 / 12:13 am

Wonderful shots of very brilliant flowers! One of the first things I learned about color photography is that shaded or cloudy light is easier because it evens out the shadows.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 12:23 am

Yes. That’s true for portraits too. In the sun, everyone’s skin looks weird. And the sharp shadows of bright sunlight are really unflattering.

2. angloswiss September 26, 2017 / 12:58 am

I put my potted plants in the cool cellar in winter. They hibernate and rest building the reserves for the next summer. They don’t need water or daylight. Let them recede naturally and try it. I have had my calla and canna 10 years and they return every year bigger and better. I just give them enough fertilizer in summer to help them on the way.

• queenofdanile September 26, 2017 / 8:57 am

Calla (bulb) and canna (rhizome) have a different root structure than your begonia. That wouldn’t work with it. No offense to MrsSwiss. If you have a bright lit window, it’ll be fine. May get leggy, but you can always cut back. Taking a start and rooting it also works. Those are a stupendous color.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Thank you. I was wondering. Begonias get very leggy in shade, but if I cut them back and feed them, maybe they’ll decide to grow in shade for a while. It is worth a try simply because I’ve never seen this color anywhere else. Do you know a good “food” for begonias?

• swo8 September 26, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I think I would cut them back a little bit before letting them go dormant.

• swo8 September 26, 2017 / 1:25 pm

I wouldn’t feed them unless they were flowering. You might give them a wee bit of water to keep them from drying out completely.

3. lwbut September 26, 2017 / 8:19 am

They really are gorgeous flowers 😉

love

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 1:19 pm

And unusual. I’ve never seen begonias this color anywhere else. I’ve seen lots of reds and blues and purples and white and pink … but hot orange? They sure are BRIGHT!

4. Cee Neuner September 26, 2017 / 12:39 pm

Such a strong pop of color for your garden. Wonderful fun. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Thank you! Lucky I have hanging begonias! The rest of the garden has gone to sleep.

5. swo8 September 26, 2017 / 1:21 pm

What a gorgeous colour, Marilyn. I hope you can get them through the winter.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 1:24 pm

Normally, I don’t worry about letting the begonias die. There are always new begonias … but these are an unusual color and I’d like to keep them if they will let me. They may survive the shade of the house and with a little luck, regrow in the spring. I have nothing to lose by trying.

• swo8 September 26, 2017 / 1:25 pm

You’ll probably have some success at it too.

6. Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread September 26, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Bright, beautiful, and a real punch of color. 🙂 Here’s hoping they find a window they really like and provide some lovely color during the dark months.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Well I only have ONE window where I can put them, but if morning sun will do it for them, they will be okay. It’s east-facing, so it’s bright from dawn to just before noon.