THE OLD WINTER CAROUSEL – TRACES OF THE PAST

THURSDAY’S SPECIAL: TRACES OF THE PAST Y4-01

From Paula:

Traces of the Past is a recurrent photo challenge that happens every month, and this is the fourth year it has been running. Next month you’ll be able to participate in Traces of the Past in Black and White for one of the two Black & White Sundays. You are free to choose whatever traces of the past you can find. It does not have to be a distant one, or rich in history; it can be something personal, or it can even have a human form. Just make sure to post for it before next Thursday and to link to this blog. Wishing you all a special and happy Thursday!

The Winter Carousel at the Heritage museum was more than 100 years old. They had brought it to the museum from some other part of the country, then had carefully reassembled it. I’ve had the pictures for quite a while. Until a few days ago, I didn’t realize how many there were in the folder and how few of them I’ve processed. Since I haven’t been getting out much, this seemed a good a time to work on them.

So welcome to the Winter Carousel at the Heritage museum on Cape Cod. The carousel (also called a “merry-go-round” and both expressions mean the same thing) has its own working steam-driven calliope.

jupiter najnajnoviji

14 thoughts on “THE OLD WINTER CAROUSEL – TRACES OF THE PAST

1. restlessjo January 11, 2018 / 3:21 am

I love carousels, Marilyn. Happy to whirl around with you this morning. 🙂 🙂

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:18 pm

I think my big whirl-around this morning is my brain that seems to be whirling, but without the rest of me. MORE coffee. Got to be the only answer!

2. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist January 11, 2018 / 5:08 am

They are wonderfully decorated Marilyn. I particularly like the lion’s face. I had my first ride on a merry -go -round as an adult and I think the romance of them appeals to us all.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:19 pm

Some of the carving done on the horses and other animals on carousels is simply wonderful. All of it was done by hand, too. Each horse, each creature is unique.

3. swo8 January 11, 2018 / 7:21 am

The are quite beautiful and a blast from the past.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:20 pm

I miss having local “rides.” I need a big roller coaster and at least two carousels. Just to BE there, waiting for me.

• swo8 January 11, 2018 / 1:13 pm

You’re a fun girl, Marilyn.

4. Paula January 11, 2018 / 7:41 am

It’s exciting to see that it is still working 🙂 What a beautiful and original subject you chose. I really love it, Marilyn. Thank you!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:21 pm

Thanks Paula. “Old” things are not so common around here and sometimes, it’s a real hair-puller finding something that fits the “old” category — not counting ME of course!

5. evelyneholingue January 13, 2018 / 1:41 pm

Owning my personal carousel is one of my silliest dreams 🙂 I adore the slow pace and old fashioned look of these horses. Great gallery!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 13, 2018 / 1:48 pm

I wanted one, too. If I could not get a WHOLE carousel, I wanted at least one horse. About 25 years ago was an old carousel being sold and Garry and I tried to talk the mayor and his people into buying it and installing it on the Commons in Boston.

They said it was too expensive, but it wouldn’t have cost that much. What a pity. It was a GREAT old carousel with a real steam calliope. Politicians, bah.

• evelyneholingue January 16, 2018 / 8:06 pm

Same here!!!! I said that one horse would be enough, but I never got one 😦
        And a real steam calliope sounds perfect too. I told before but one of my daughters is called Calliope.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 16, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Great name. Wasn’t that also the name of a muse? I am still sure Boston should have bought that carousel. It would have really improved the Commons. Garry and I weren’t persuasive enough.