WORLD SHARING IN A COLD, WET WINTER

Share Your World – January 22, 2018

List 2 things you have to be happy about?

It was a pleasure watching Tom Terrific and the Patriots win the division and head for the Super Bowl. Again. Garry often reminds me — we have been privileged to watch this great team develop from its beginning to today. I can remember when Tom Brady came to play as the backup quarterback to Drew Bledsoe when Bledsoe was injured.

That was Tom Brady’s first year of full-time play, but he was good.  Not as good as he would become, but good enough that he replaced Bledsoe who was good, too. But Tom was better. Tom Brady became Tom Terrific and thus he has stayed ever since.

I know a lot of people hate the Patriots, probably the way we hated the Yankees for all those years when they were a force of nature — the team you had to beat and usually didn’t. The Yankees were and still are, a great team that other teams love to hate.

Today, in football, we’ve had 18 years of an incredible winning team. I remember when the Patriots never won anything and no one expected them to win. It was amazing last night, watching them win in those final few minutes of the fourth quarter. Especially recognizing that Tom Terrific is close to the end of his career and these glory days will end.

As for that second thing? Turns out paying extra money to skip the insurance deductible was really worth it. Two little accidents — one our fault, the other one of those whodunnit parking accidents — would have buried us in debt, otherwise! It’s so much more expensive to fix a broken car these days. So much of the car is plastic. You can’t bang out the dent. You have to remove the part and replace it. I suppose you save something because fewer hours are used in making the repair, but overall, it really does cost more.

Have you ever owned a rock, pet rock, or gem that is not jewelry?

I have a jar of rocks, all semi-precious. There’s some rose quartz, a piece of turquoise and amethyst, mica and a few other items. I like them. They are pretty and each has a meaning.

Are you a hugger or a non-hugger?

I’m a hugger for people I hug, but I don’t hug everyone and I don’t hug anyone all the time.

What inspired you or what did you appreciate this past week?

The rains came and cleared the snow from our roof. We’ve been lucky with the weather this year. It has snowed, but the snows haven’t been continuous.

The one guy I hug a lot

After each event, the temperature has warmed up and the snow has been cleared away before the next arrives. I know it’s only January and there’s plenty of winter to go, but so far, so good!

041514 sywbanner

18 thoughts on “WORLD SHARING IN A COLD, WET WINTER

1. angloswiss January 23, 2018 / 1:01 am

It’s been a strange winter this year. The snow came and went, so let’s hope it stays away

• Garry Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:48 pm

You’re a good hugger. I like it. Just don’t tickle me.

Sounds like an Elvis/Dion & The Belmonts lyric.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 1:44 pm

You are SO ticklish, all I have to do is look like I MIGHT tickle you and you start giggling.

2. dcmontreal January 23, 2018 / 6:09 am

I, too, appreciate the Patriots success, having been a fan since the Steve Grogan days!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:03 pm

Ah. Then you remember the BAD old days. So many of the younger fans don’t remember that it wasn’t always like this. When Brady retires, the memories will rush in!

• Garry Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:52 pm

D.C. That’s what we’re talking about. People who’ve followed the Pats since their inception…the bad, old days….REALLY appreciate the breadth and depth of the Brady-Kraft-Coach B dynasty.

They’ve already passed into legend…and continue to work their magic. Feels so good!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:05 pm

Honestly, I thought he should have retired after the last Super Bowl, but he has this thing where he wants to be the best at everything — which I think he HAS already proved. I just hope he quits before injury takes him out. Lord knows he has enough money to last him forever!

• Garry Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:54 pm

How ’bout The Kingston Trio and “The Legend of Tom Brady”.

3. evilsquirrel13 January 23, 2018 / 11:44 am

The car dealer didn’t have to do much convincing to get me to take the 10 year warranty on my new car. It’s supposed to cover everything but tire and wheel damage, complete with loaner car while I’m in the shop (Now there’s a concept I never got to enjoy with the Neon). I guess I’ll see if the extra $1900 or so was worth it in a decade…. I figure one major issue should pay for itself IF in fact that warranty is what it says it is…

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:06 pm

I have a warranty like that, too … and you know I’ve never used it? Other than these two very minor accidents, the car has been flawless. Figures, right? I think we buy warranties and they guarantee we’ll never need them. It’s some kind of Murphy’s Law.

4. choosingmyperspective January 23, 2018 / 11:54 am

OH I LOVE that photo of you and your main squeeze!!

As for weather, our Mississippi relatives are shaking their heads in wonder at 10 degree weather, while we in the Northwest are luxuriating in 50 degrees…in JANUARY!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:07 pm

Last January, it was shirt sleeve and sandals war for about three weeks … and then it snowed. It was like getting a warm weather vacation without leaving home. Truly, we are getting Very Interesting Weather. VERY interesting.

• Garry Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Looks like they’re shooting “The Good Earth” out there.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 23, 2018 / 1:46 pm

Was the “good earth” entirely mud? Because it is repulsive out there. Yuck.

5. swo8 January 23, 2018 / 3:28 pm

we’re a family of huggers. It’s a real feel good thing to do.