GOURDS

75-PunkinsZS19-MAR-16

I love their shapes, textures, colors. They aren’t edible and are grown entirely as decorations.

75-PunkinsZS19-MAR-11

I find them weird and wonderful, beautiful in a strange, gaudy way.  I love having baskets of them around the house from Halloween through Thanksgiving.

75-PunkinsZS19-MAR-17

19 thoughts on “GOURDS

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 11:42 am

The weirder they are, the more I like them 🙂

1. Áine Órga October 30, 2013 / 8:30 am

I absolutely love these, too – the weirder the better! They’re the epitome of Halloween for me. Beautiful photos! 🙂

2. evilsquirrel13 October 30, 2013 / 9:05 am

Gourds are very easy to grow as well. I’d take the seeds and plant them in the backyard when I was a kid. I’d always have at least a few good specimens by Fall… it was the only gardening fun I ever had!

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 11:31 am

They’ve always looked to me like children of The Thing, but in really nice colors 🙂 We can grow anything … and the wildlife can eat it faster than we can grow it!

3. 0205nolanri October 30, 2013 / 9:26 am

Reblogged this on #Dantheman and commented:
    Here are some beautiful elegant Gourds. They are so wonderful and beautiful, and they are all one of a kind. They all come in different shapes colors and textures.

4. kathryningrid October 30, 2013 / 12:37 pm

Gorgeous! And I’m going to try, when my own batch gets a little antiquated this year, planting them in my mini meadow out back. At least the critters there will have some feasting, and at best I might garner a gourd or two for next year. 🙂

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 1:01 pm

As long as you know you are doing it for the critters. If you live in the country, they are clever, fast … and there are lots more of them than there are of you. I know people who took to guarding their little pumpkin and gourd patches with a shotgun. That didn’t work either.

5. Annmarie October 30, 2013 / 12:49 pm

I love gourds as well, I love to have them gathered around at the Thanksgiving table, or spread out on the mantle, growing them is quite fun too, as it tends to be quite a conversation piece in the garden, great photos and a lovely post!

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 12:59 pm

We no longer try to grow anythiing. The critters consume everything long before we can get to them. We have literally ACRES of blackberries and have never gotten to eat a single berry. But we have very happy songbirds.

6. garryarmstrong October 30, 2013 / 12:49 pm

Some of the stems look like snakes. AARGGH!

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 12:58 pm

You never can tell with gourds … they are spawn of The Thing.

7. Bette A. Stevens October 30, 2013 / 7:40 pm

Gourds–LOVE THEM! I use them to decorate, too; when they dry thoroughly, they make great great art projects for kids & adults. I’ve purchased some in PA and made some with the kids… i.e. Angels & Santas… Also, you can carve them out to make baskets. Thanks for the post.

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 7:49 pm

I just love them. They really are natural art. Some of them are remarkable. These were big ones and even stranger looking than the usual smaller versions. Some of them were the size of medium pumpkins.

8. Bette A. Stevens October 30, 2013 / 7:43 pm

p.s. Have made Pumpkin Piggy Banks for the grandkids, too! Cut off tops i.e. for a Jack-o-lantern. Scoop, dry thoroughly. Cut a coin slit before drying. Glue on the top and voila!

• Teepee12 October 30, 2013 / 7:47 pm

Cool! Great building material, pumpkins. How long do the piggy banks last? Now — I want a coach like the one Cinderella had 🙂